TV world devastated: Bob Barker and Arleen Sorkin’s unexpected deaths and the legacies they both leave behind

TV veterans and fans alike are mourning the unexpected demise of the inimitable Bob Barker and Arleen Sorkin. Mr Barker was a legendary figure in the world of television and game show host par excellence, best remembered for his long and illustrious involvement with The Price is Right.

photo.jpg
Arleen Sorkin pictured left, and Bob Barker pictured right. Image source: Shutterstock.

Barker passed away due to natural causes at the age of 99 in his home in the Hollywood Hills.

Bob Barker's affable personality and vibrant energy lit up the small screen, making him a beloved figure not just in America but also in many other corners of the globe. For 35 fruitful years, Barker hosted The Price is Right, perhaps the most iconic game show in the world. His catchphrase, 'Come on down,' became synonymous with the programme – a delightful invitation to contestants to test their knowledge of the price of consumer goods, with the chance to walk away with cash and prizes.

Devastatingly, his publicist, Roger Neal, confirmed Barker's passing, stating, 'It is with profound sadness that we announce that the World’s Greatest MC who ever lived, Bob Barker, has left us.'

Barker's departure from the world marks the end of an era. With a whopping 60-year career in radio and television and an impressive 19 Emmys to his name, Barker's shoes are not easy ones to fill. After his retirement in 2007, comedian Drew Carey became the new MC of The Price is Right. But Barker's presence never left the show, as Carey candidly admitted on social media, 'There hasn’t been a day on set that I didn’t think of Bob Barker and thank him. I will carry his memory in my heart forever.'

Barker was not just a television star. He was a prominent voice for animal rights, donating a staggering $5 million to the anti-whaling group, Sea Shepherd, which fittingly named one of their vessels after him. Barker will also be remembered for his 20-year stint hosting the Miss USA contest and his successful persuasion of pageant organisers to ban fur.

Barker leaves behind a lasting legacy, with memorable cameos in numerous films and TV shows, from The Nanny, Happy Gilmore, to the soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful.

Comedian Adam Sandler, who famously faced off against Barker in Happy Gilmore, shared a heartfelt tribute: 'Such a sweet funny guy to hang out with. Loved talking to him. Loved laughing with him. Loved him kicking the c*** out of me. He will be missed by everyone I know!'

Ms Sorkin, on the other hand, was best known and loved by many as the star of the enduring TV soap Days of Our Lives, as well as the memorable voice of Harley Quinn in the Batman series. She was just 67 when she passed. Sadly, the cause of Arleen Sorkin's death remains unconfirmed at the time of writing. Our thoughts are with her loved ones during this challenging time.

With a career that spanned over four decades, Arleen embodied the heart and soul of the characters she portrayed, leaving a lasting impression on viewers worldwide. The news of her untimely death was confirmed via Instagram by James Gunn, director and CEO of DC Studios.

'Rest in Peace, Arleen Sorkin, the incredibly talented original voice of Harley Quinn, who helped to create the character so many of us love. Love to her family and friends,' Gunn posted, succinctly capturing the profound loss felt across the entertainment world.

Arleen's death was met with an outpouring of tributes. After years of memorable performances, it was clear her impact was far-reaching, touching the lives of fellow actors, fans and colleagues alike.

Mark Hamill, who had the honour of voicing The Joker alongside her in Batman: The Animated Series, shared his sadness on Twitter: 'Devastated to learn we’ve lost the brilliant Arleen Sorkin. Not just a wonderful talent, but a truly wonderful person.'

Key Takeaways

• Bob Barker, legendary TV host famous for presenting The Price Is Right, and actress Arleen Sorkin, best known for her roles in Days of Our Lives and as the original voice of Batman character Harley Quinn, have passes away at the ages of 99 and 67, respectively.
  • Over a career spanning 60 years, Barker won 19 Emmys and was known as a prominent animal rights activist.
  • Barker's long and successful career on The Price Is Right ran from 1972 until 2007, making it the longest-running game show in North American history.
  • Sorkin's cause of death has not yet been revealed, leaving her family, friends and colleagues in mourning.

While no words can adequately express the loss of two treasured on-screen icons, it is comforting to remember the joy both Mr Barker and Ms Sorkin brought to everyone’s lives through their performances. With both of their boundless talent and unique charisma, they both leave a lasting legacy that will undoubtedly continue to resonate with fans, young and old alike, for generations to come.

Do you remember watching Bob Barker on your screen? Or maybe you were more of a fan of Arleen Sorkin? Tell us your memories of both of these talented TV personalities in the comment section below!

Sponsored
This guy, Bob Barker, was 99 years old, after all!!

It appears he hosted the AMERICAN version of "The Price Is Right", the longest-running game show in North American television history, from 1972 to 2007.

It was never shown on Australian Television

The first national Australian version, aired 1973 until 1974. (Gary Meadows,1973-74)
the next version, called "The NEW Price is Right" ran 1981 until 2005. (Ian Turpie 1981-85,1989)
The last version, renamed back to the original "The Price is Right" aired May 2012 until December 2012 (hosted by Larry Emdur,1993-98, 2003-05, 2012)

Last edited:
TV veterans and fans alike are mourning the unexpected demise of the inimitable Bob Barker and Arleen Sorkin. Mr Barker was a legendary figure in the world of television and game show host par excellence, best remembered for his long and illustrious involvement with The Price is Right.

View attachment 28419
Arleen Sorkin pictured left, and Bob Barker pictured right. Image source: Shutterstock.

Barker passed away due to natural causes at the age of 99 in his home in the Hollywood Hills.

Bob Barker's affable personality and vibrant energy lit up the small screen, making him a beloved figure not just in America but also in many other corners of the globe. For 35 fruitful years, Barker hosted The Price is Right, perhaps the most iconic game show in the world. His catchphrase, 'Come on down,' became synonymous with the programme – a delightful invitation to contestants to test their knowledge of the price of consumer goods, with the chance to walk away with cash and prizes.

Devastatingly, his publicist, Roger Neal, confirmed Barker's passing, stating, 'It is with profound sadness that we announce that the World’s Greatest MC who ever lived, Bob Barker, has left us.'

Barker's departure from the world marks the end of an era. With a whopping 60-year career in radio and television and an impressive 19 Emmys to his name, Barker's shoes are not easy ones to fill. After his retirement in 2007, comedian Drew Carey became the new MC of The Price is Right. But Barker's presence never left the show, as Carey candidly admitted on social media, 'There hasn’t been a day on set that I didn’t think of Bob Barker and thank him. I will carry his memory in my heart forever.'

Barker was not just a television star. He was a prominent voice for animal rights, donating a staggering $5 million to the anti-whaling group, Sea Shepherd, which fittingly named one of their vessels after him. Barker will also be remembered for his 20-year stint hosting the Miss USA contest and his successful persuasion of pageant organisers to ban fur.

Barker leaves behind a lasting legacy, with memorable cameos in numerous films and TV shows, from The Nanny, Happy Gilmore, to the soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful.

Comedian Adam Sandler, who famously faced off against Barker in Happy Gilmore, shared a heartfelt tribute: 'Such a sweet funny guy to hang out with. Loved talking to him. Loved laughing with him. Loved him kicking the c*** out of me. He will be missed by everyone I know!'

Ms Sorkin, on the other hand, was best known and loved by many as the star of the enduring TV soap Days of Our Lives, as well as the memorable voice of Harley Quinn in the Batman series. She was just 67 when she passed. Sadly, the cause of Arleen Sorkin's death remains unconfirmed at the time of writing. Our thoughts are with her loved ones during this challenging time.

With a career that spanned over four decades, Arleen embodied the heart and soul of the characters she portrayed, leaving a lasting impression on viewers worldwide. The news of her untimely death was confirmed via Instagram by James Gunn, director and CEO of DC Studios.

'Rest in Peace, Arleen Sorkin, the incredibly talented original voice of Harley Quinn, who helped to create the character so many of us love. Love to her family and friends,' Gunn posted, succinctly capturing the profound loss felt across the entertainment world.

Arleen's death was met with an outpouring of tributes. After years of memorable performances, it was clear her impact was far-reaching, touching the lives of fellow actors, fans and colleagues alike.

Mark Hamill, who had the honour of voicing The Joker alongside her in Batman: The Animated Series, shared his sadness on Twitter: 'Devastated to learn we’ve lost the brilliant Arleen Sorkin. Not just a wonderful talent, but a truly wonderful person.'

Key Takeaways

• Bob Barker, legendary TV host famous for presenting The Price Is Right, and actress Arleen Sorkin, best known for her roles in Days of Our Lives and as the original voice of Batman character Harley Quinn, have passes away at the ages of 99 and 67, respectively.
  • Over a career spanning 60 years, Barker won 19 Emmys and was known as a prominent animal rights activist.
  • Barker's long and successful career on The Price Is Right ran from 1972 until 2007, making it the longest-running game show in North American history.
  • Sorkin's cause of death has not yet been revealed, leaving her family, friends and colleagues in mourning.

While no words can adequately express the loss of two treasured on-screen icons, it is comforting to remember the joy both Mr Barker and Ms Sorkin brought to everyone’s lives through their performances. With both of their boundless talent and unique charisma, they both leave a lasting legacy that will undoubtedly continue to resonate with fans, young and old alike, for generations to come.

Do you remember watching Bob Barker on your screen? Or maybe you were more of a fan of Arleen Sorkin? Tell us your memories of both of these talented TV personalities in the comment section below!
WHO????

View attachment 28419

Key Takeaways

Never heard of him!

Thank you so much for the feedback everyone. I thought Bob Barker was quite well known, and I thought there would be a few members who watched his original The Price Is Right show. I also thought Arlene Sorkin on The Day of Our Lives would have been well-known too.

However, I am hearing you all loud and clear! There doesn't seem to be anyone who know who these two are so I'll be far more careful in who I choose or our writers choose to write about in the future.

We have reported on celebrity deaths before, whether they are Australian or not, but I think perhaps we need to veer away from American television? Perhaps only movie stars etc?

Please know we are just doing our best to report on news we feel might be of interest to you, but we learn from our mistakes and I learnt a lot from this one. :)

View attachment 28419

Key Takeaways

I don't know who either these were.

I only remember Ian Turpie as the old host.

If this one is an American host then that explains why I haven't heard of it

Who are these two people were s’posed to be “devastated” about - never heard of them!! I thought we were in Aust not US!! The guy was 99! Great innings & to be sure sadly missed by his family but when people carry on about how the TV world will be devastated by their “unexpected” deaths (?) @ 99????? Give me strength!
Maybe the female, she wasn’t old as such, but the old guy, who a lot of us don’t know cos we obviously remember our own tv show hosts here in OZ!!!
I like a lot of our TV hosts, but I’m not going to be “devastated” when they die!
I’ll save the ‘devastation’ for situations of real devastation eg bushfires, floods people who aren’t film stars, just ordinary people losing their lives due to war, famine & the horrid other things we humans inflict on each other!
Don’t want to sound uncaring but the fact that we’re all supposed to be devastated, appalled, offended etc etc by things that happen naturally these days, quite frankly leaves me wondering! No wonder there’s sooo many people having mental health problems these days! Media might want to take some credit for that ???
Cheers, have a great rest of ur day - don’t turn on the tv & you might! 🤣

Thank you so much for the feedback everyone. I thought Bob Barker was quite well known, and I thought there would be a few members who watched his original The Price Is Right show. I also thought Arlene Sorkin on The Day of Our Lives would have been well-known too.

However, I am hearing you all loud and clear! There doesn't seem to be anyone who know who these two are so I'll be far more careful in who I choose or our writers choose to write about in the future.

We have reported on celebrity deaths before, whether they are Australian or not, but I think perhaps we need to veer away from American television? Perhaps only movie stars etc?

Please know we are just doing our best to report on news we feel might be of interest to you, but we learn from our mistakes and I learnt a lot from this one. :)
I have learnt in life you can't please everyone. In saying that you are all doing a great job. Keep posting whatever you like. It's better people comment than leave blank and sometimes even these post lead to some entertaining discussions or debates 🙂

I certainly have heard of Bob Barker, I don't get why people get so angry and write stuff like 'who?' or 'not interested, never heard of them' etc. Very disrespectful to me. Maybe we have not heard of everyone reported but if you bother to google sometimes it is amazing how interesting some of these people are, and even though we may not know the name or the face they often have contributed to, or been very important to music, movies, televion etc, that you DO know. ☺

I certainly have heard of Bob Barker, I don't get why people get so angry and write stuff like 'who?' or 'not interested, never heard of them' etc. Very disrespectful to me. Maybe we have not heard of everyone reported but if you bother to google sometimes it is amazing how interesting some of these people are, and even though we may not know the name or the face they often have contributed to, or been very important to music, movies, televion etc, that you DO know. ☺
I think everyone is entitled to write what they want.
Nothing wrong with stating you have never heard of them, most comments are respectful .
The variety of post keeps conversation interesting

Don't ya realise every one thinks Murrica controls our every thought according to all none civilian Australians. Of course our public servants think they control everything these days.
Whose murrica ?🙀

This must have been posted for our American emigrants.... certainly pointless for the majority of Aussies. SDC don't we have enough Australian news clips??
Please do-gooders give us a break if we disagree with your Lord Chamberlain view of our current world.

Some people turn the other cheek (hoping to get inevitably walopped no doubt) and others mostly 2nd+ generation Aus will voice their disdain towards hearing / seeing everything not Australian pushed in their face.

Just one other for-instance OUR ABC and Ita's China Show.

No I've never heard of those two Murricans either.

Reactions: Leenie