TV personality posts ‘throwback photo’ from his reporting stint in the 80s

Love or loathe him, Larry Emdur's got more than a few good years on television under his belt.

One of his longest-running gigs? Co-hosting The Morning Show on the Seven Network—but he certainly didn't start there.

Back in the 80s, Larry was tackling all sorts of news reporting and radio announcing duties. It was only after accepting his first gig at Channel 7 GMTV that he kicked off his career as a TV presenter.

And with Stephen Peacocke from Home and Away appearing on the show in a recent episode, Larry was getting nostalgic over a certain look he once wore.

Screen Shot 2023-08-17 at 1.08.58 PM.png
Larry Emdur in the 80s on the left, and Steven Peacocke in The Newsreader on the right. Image source: Instagram/larryemdur.

'Stephen Peacocke is on [The Morning Show], and I might have to ask him who inspired his “sexy classic” 80s look for his role in The Newsreader,' Larry wrote on Instagram.

The post was a side-by-side comparison of Stephen as Rob Rickards and him as a reported in the 80s.

In the photo, Larry is dressed in a double-breasted suit with a patterned tie and a pocket square, and his hair is neatly styled. Interestingly, Stephen Peacocke is wearing a strikingly similar outfit for his role as Rob Rickards in the drama series, which makes many wonder: did he take inspiration from Larry's 80s style for his look?

The comparison sparked some serious ribbing from Larry's co-stars, fans, and celebrity friends.

'Bro, where’s my hairspray?' laughed fellow TMS star Kylie Gillies, prompting one fan to comment: 'Kylie Gillies, you killed me at “Bro”!'

'I am hearing “Discover yourself at Stefan” when I look into your eyes, Larry,' teased Osher Gunsberg, referring to an 80s ad for a hairdresser.

Though, the oversized suit, common in 1980s fashion, had a few observers scratching their heads.

'The suit looks a teeny bit big across the shoulders, Larry. You’ve grown into it, I'm sure,’ one user quipped. One thing's for sure—the tribute to Larry's look was quite nostalgic.

Originally from Dubbo, Stephen Peacocke returns to his laidback roots on the Seven series RFDS, and choosing his roles so carefully is understandable coming from the city man as he's come to be.

Perhaps thankfully, Stephen doesn’t have to sport a blow-wave for RFDS. The actor said filming the show allowed him to return to the laidback lifestyle he loves most.

'When I grew up in Dubbo, it was about 20,000 people, which is probably not far from what Broken Hill is now, but Broken Hill is just so isolated from the East Coast,' the actor said. 'So you feel like you’re more in the proper bush out there, it’s great.’

'If I could live in the bush and then travel to the city when I had to, I’d do that... To be able to do a job, acting is the greatest fun for me to do, to be able to do that in the outback with all these types of people that I have grown up with, is an absolute treat.'

Key Takeaways

• The Morning Show co-host Larry Emdur shared a throwback photo of himself as a news reporter in the 1980s, drawing comparisons to actor Stephen Peacocke's 'sexy classic' 80s look for his role in The Newsreader.
  • Emdur received cheeky responses from colleagues, fans, and celebrity friends, who joked about his hairdo and the oversized suit typical in that era.
  • Stephen Peacocke used his appearance on the morning show to talk about filming the new season of Seven series RFDS, and how he enjoys getting away from fast-paced city life.
  • Peacocke remarked about finding great enjoyment in acting, especially when he can do it in the outback amongst people with whom he grew up.

What are your thoughts, folks? Can you see the similarities—or the differences—between the two? Let us know what you think in the comments below!

Reactions: LeslieD
Sponsored
Love or loathe him, Larry Emdur's got more than a few good years on television under his belt.

One of his longest-running gigs? Co-hosting The Morning Show on the Seven Network—but he certainly didn't start there.

Back in the 80s, Larry was tackling all sorts of news reporting and radio announcing duties. It was only after accepting his first gig at Channel 7 GMTV that he kicked off his career as a TV presenter.

And with Stephen Peacocke from Home and Away appearing on the show in a recent episode, Larry was getting nostalgic over a certain look he once wore.

View attachment 27673
Larry Emdur in the 80s on the left, and Steven Peacocke in The Newsreader on the right. Image source: Instagram/larryemdur.

'Stephen Peacocke is on [The Morning Show], and I might have to ask him who inspired his “sexy classic” 80s look for his role in The Newsreader,' Larry wrote on Instagram.

The post was a side-by-side comparison of Stephen as Rob Rickards and him as a reported in the 80s.

In the photo, Larry is dressed in a double-breasted suit with a patterned tie and a pocket square, and his hair is neatly styled. Interestingly, Stephen Peacocke is wearing a strikingly similar outfit for his role as Rob Rickards in the drama series, which makes many wonder: did he take inspiration from Larry's 80s style for his look?

The comparison sparked some serious ribbing from Larry's co-stars, fans, and celebrity friends.

'Bro, where’s my hairspray?' laughed fellow TMS star Kylie Gillies, prompting one fan to comment: 'Kylie Gillies, you killed me at “Bro”!'

'I am hearing “Discover yourself at Stefan” when I look into your eyes, Larry,' teased Osher Gunsberg, referring to an 80s ad for a hairdresser.

Though, the oversized suit, common in 1980s fashion, had a few observers scratching their heads.

'The suit looks a teeny bit big across the shoulders, Larry. You’ve grown into it, I'm sure,’ one user quipped. One thing's for sure—the tribute to Larry's look was quite nostalgic.

Originally from Dubbo, Stephen Peacocke returns to his laidback roots on the Seven series RFDS, and choosing his roles so carefully is understandable coming from the city man as he's come to be.

Perhaps thankfully, Stephen doesn’t have to sport a blow-wave for RFDS. The actor said filming the show allowed him to return to the laidback lifestyle he loves most.

'When I grew up in Dubbo, it was about 20,000 people, which is probably not far from what Broken Hill is now, but Broken Hill is just so isolated from the East Coast,' the actor said. 'So you feel like you’re more in the proper bush out there, it’s great.’

'If I could live in the bush and then travel to the city when I had to, I’d do that... To be able to do a job, acting is the greatest fun for me to do, to be able to do that in the outback with all these types of people that I have grown up with, is an absolute treat.'

Key Takeaways

• The Morning Show co-host Larry Emdur shared a throwback photo of himself as a news reporter in the 1980s, drawing comparisons to actor Stephen Peacocke's 'sexy classic' 80s look for his role in The Newsreader.
  • Emdur received cheeky responses from colleagues, fans, and celebrity friends, who joked about his hairdo and the oversized suit typical in that era.
  • Stephen Peacocke used his appearance on the morning show to talk about filming the new season of Seven series RFDS, and how he enjoys getting away from fast-paced city life.
  • Peacocke remarked about finding great enjoyment in acting, especially when he can do it in the outback amongst people with whom he grew up.

What are your thoughts, folks? Can you see the similarities—or the differences—between the two? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
larry is so laid back and so pleasing to listen to and watch. thank you for someone not pretentious.

Reactions: Macarj