TV host's cringeworthy blunder: Throwback video will leave you gasping!

From the track to the television studio, Matt Shirvington has sprinted through an impressive career, but even the swiftest among us can stumble.

The former Olympic sprinter and current television star recently received a good-natured ribbing from his former NRL colleagues, who revealed one of his most embarrassing TV moments in a hilarious throwback video.

As the second-fastest Australian sprinter of all time, he made his mark by finishing fifth in the 100m final at the Sydney Olympics in 2000.

His transition from athletics to television has been seamless, and he's become a familiar face to many as the co-host of Channel Seven's popular breakfast news show, Sunrise.

However, Shirvington had a long stint on Foxtel before his days on Sunrise, where he became an unlikely but well-regarded studio anchor for NRL matches.

1721697616270.png
Matt Shirvington got embarrassed by a throwback video of his hosting blunder on Foxtel. Credit: @mattshirvo / Instagram

It was during this time that the infamous moment occurred. As the clip played on the Sunday Night With Matty Johns show, viewers were treated to a younger Shirvington in the throes of a teleprompter malfunction.

The result? A series of flubbed lines that had the panel in stitches.

'Thanks very much, guys. We'll catch up with you at halftime. Let's go now to your commentators, Matt Russell...sorry, Warren Smith and Greg Alexander. Sorry, Matt Russell and Ben Ikin. No, sorry. Matt Russell, Warren Smith, and Greg Alexander, sorry for that game out at Parramatta Stadium,' Shirvington fumbled.

The mishap seemed to stem from a teleprompter malfunction. The camera was still rolling as an irate Shirvington pointed to the device and made his discontent clear.

Since his days at Fox League, Shirvington has continued to evolve as a broadcaster. He left Fox Sports to join Channel 7 in 2020, and his role has expanded significantly.

‘I'd already been thinking, "How do I get out of [Foxtel]? What do I do?" I'd love to spend some time at a commercial network,’ Shirvington said.

‘[Channel Seven boss] James [Warburton] called and said, "Look, we have a change-up with Jim Wilson going over to 2GB, and it leaves a void for our sports reads on the weekends. Would you be happy to do that?" So I jumped at the chance.’

He's filled in for presenters on Sunrise and The Morning Show, and his big break came midway through 2023 when he stepped into the shoes of veteran Sunrise presenter David Koch.

Taking on such a prominent role came with its nerves for Shirvington, who admitted to feeling more anxious about his television duties than he ever did about competing in the Olympics.

'Daunted. So excited. Happy. Cannot tell you the honour and privilege this is,' he expressed.

‘I think I'm more nervous than I have ever been, including the Olympics.'’

In related news, Matt Shirvington replaced David Koch as the new co-host of Sunrise.

Shirvington shared an emotional call with Koch, who assured him he was the perfect choice for the role and promised to have the time of his life. Read more about this update here.
Key Takeaways
  • Former Olympic sprinter Matt Shirvington was embarrassed by a throwback video showing him fluffing his lines during his hosting days on Foxtel.
  • Matt Shirvington is currently a co-host of the popular breakfast news show on Channel Seven and previously hosted NRL matches on Foxtel.
  • Shirvington's misstep was featured as a humorous segment by his colleagues on the television show Sunday Night With Matty Johns.
  • Despite the embarrassing moment, Shirvington has successfully transitioned to television, now thriving as a presenter after a career in athletics.
Have you ever had a moment at work that made you want to crawl under a rock? Or perhaps you've witnessed a colleague's blunder that's become a fond memory over time? Share your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored