Turning a new page: John Farnham shares latest career updates after overcoming cancer

John Farnham, an icon of the Australian music scene, has always been a figure of resilience and inspiration.

Following a challenging year that saw him undergo major surgery for mouth cancer, the beloved 74-year-old singer is not only celebrating his recovery, but also embarking on a new chapter in his storied career.

With his latest career update, Farnham is set to share his journey with fans, from the dizzying heights of fame to the personal battles that have tested his spirit.

Farnham’s upcoming memoir, The Voice Inside, scheduled for release on October 30 by Hachette Australia, promises to be an intimate look at his life, including his rise to stardom and the recent health scare that shook his world.

The book will also touch on the profound loss of his close friend and manager, Glenn Wheatley, who passed away just months before Farnham's cancer diagnosis.

435207664_956542242502550_3716029056331634403_n.jpg
John Farnham shared his upcoming memoir, The Voice Inside, set to be released on October 30. Credits: Facebook / John Farnham

In a statement that reflects his characteristic warmth and humility, Farnham expressed his readiness to recount his life's story.

‘Having been asked many times, it finally felt like the right time to sit down and tell my story,’ he stated.

‘It is a very strange feeling looking back on my life, on the good and the bad, and now that I have started it is all rushing back.’

‘I hope the book engages and entertains, because that’s what so much of my life has been about,’ he continued.

Co-author Poppy Stockwell, who worked closely with Farnham on the memoir, described the experience as akin to ‘sitting down with an old friend, who also happens to be an absolute legend’.

Stockwell praised Farnham's storytelling as ‘both deeply personal and wildly entertaining’.

‘His resilience and sense of humour shine through every recollection, making this project a genuine reflection of the man behind the music,’ she shared.

‘It’s been a joy to help bring his tales to life, and I can’t wait for readers to get an unfettered glimpse of the man whose music is the soundtrack to so many of our lives.’

The journey to this point has not been without its trials.

In August 2022, Farnham underwent a significant operation to remove a mouth tumour, which involved the removal and reconstruction of part of his jaw.

A year later, in August 2023, he shared the uplifting news that he was cancer-free.

Farnham expressed that he had undergone numerous procedures and had ‘lost count’ at the time.

However, he shared that he is now recovering at home, feeling like ‘a very grateful and happy man’ to have successfully navigated through the challenging experience.

‘I’m sitting here in my living room lapping up the attention from my beautiful wife, Jill, my boys, Rob and James, and my mini schnauzer, Edmund,’ Farnham wrote.
Key Takeaways
  • John Farnham is set to release his memoir named The Voice Inside, which will chronicle his rise to fame and his recent battle with mouth cancer.
  • The memoir will also touch on the loss of his close friend and manager, Glenn Wheatley.
  • John Farnham collaborated with co-author Poppy Stockwell to capture his recollections and stories for the book.
  • The singer underwent a significant operation for a mouth tumour in August 2022 and announced he was cancer-free a year later.
How has John Farnham's music touched your life? What are your own stories of resilience and recovery? We invite you to share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I was first introduced to John Farnhams music when I was 7 at the time he was known as Johnny Farnham .

My aunt who was 16 had a huge crush on him and I would constantly hear Sadie the cleaning lady. That song was huge at that time yet it went on to be a thorn in his side for many years.

I loved The Little River Band and hated it when he took over from Glen Shorrock in the early 80s

My love of his music didn't come about until his whispering Jack Album . So many heart felt songs on that album.

Back in the 90’s I trained users in Software Packages, mainly in Sydney but at times in Regional NSW. For two weeks I was working in Newcastle, coming home on weekends. On the last night we decided to out to the wharf in Newcastle, a great venue. There is a bar up top and restaurant downstairs. A few headed downstairs first to secure a table. I went downstairs a little while after and sat down with my colleagues, they mentioned that John Farnham was also there but mentioned that security was tight. I picked up a waiters chit and walked over as if I was going to take an order. Security saw me as they could tell I was not a waiter and stopped me. John saw me and asked me to come over. Very gracious and welcoming, said to John that I would like his autograph if possible mentioning that I had been away training and that my daughter Amy was not well. I did not have any thing to write on accept the waiter’s chit. He wrote something quite stunning,

“Amy I hope your cough gets better
Love John Farnham”

My daughter was and still is ( as I am) a huge fan. She still has that tiny bit of paper.

I have seen John in concert many times and his humility and charm is abundant.

Thank you very much John Farnham.

I've followed John since he first sang Sadie on Brian Henderson's Bandstand....just a few years ago LOL. Since then I've actually beaten cancer 3 times more so I'm thrilled John has had the strength to fight it head on. Love you Johnny. Keep up the good fight. I do hope we hear you again. I saw the wreck they made of your story on TV and they should have been ashamed.

Back in the 90’s I trained users in Software Packages, mainly in Sydney but at times in Regional NSW. For two weeks I was working in Newcastle, coming home on weekends. On the last night we decided to out to the wharf in Newcastle, a great venue. There is a bar up top and restaurant downstairs. A few headed downstairs first to secure a table. I went downstairs a little while after and sat down with my colleagues, they mentioned that John Farnham was also there but mentioned that security was tight. I picked up a waiters chit and walked over as if I was going to take an order. Security saw me as they could tell I was not a waiter and stopped me. John saw me and asked me to come over. Very gracious and welcoming, said to John that I would like his autograph if possible mentioning that I had been away training and that my daughter Amy was not well. I did not have any thing to write on accept the waiter’s chit. He wrote something quite stunning,

“Amy I hope your cough gets better
Love John Farnham”

My daughter was and still is ( as I am) a huge fan. She still has that tiny bit of paper.

I have seen John in concert many times and his humility and charm is abundant.

Thank you very much John Farnham.
What a great story

Reactions: Gsr
Great music, but he can go to the warm place after his VOICE YES VOTE stunt.
Did you even need to say that. I've never heard anything negative about him . And seriously he is getting over a serious illness

Personally I'm against the yes vote but I respect everyone's decision.
Did you know he actually received no money for letting them use his song. He gifted it to them

Reactions: Gsr and Macarj
Did you even need to say that. I've never heard anything negative about him . And seriously he is getting over a serious illness

Personally I'm against the yes vote but I respect everyone's decision.
Did you know he actually received no money for letting them use his song. He gifted it to them
I really like your logic Suzanne love all your comments

Have always loved john Farnhams music, right from Sadie the cleaning lady. Had the usual teenage crush on him. Saw him in concert at Newcastle on his The Last Time concert, had front row tickets, got to hold his hand for a few seconds, his hands were so so soft, not sure he ever did any hard work with them. He looked into my eyes, I almost swooned. Hubby was with me, he was a bit shocked at how brazen I was to get up and stand near the stage and hold my hand out to John. Was a great night. I still enjoy his music and wish him and his family only the best. Will definitely buy a copy of his memoir, should be an interesting read.

Reactions: Suzanne rose