Truth About Supermarket Checkouts: Shopper Causes Heated Debate Over ‘Real Purpose’ of Dividers

Plastic dividers have been a regular fixture at supermarket checkouts for years and have become an essential part of our shopping routine.

We've never really stopped to question if there might be a more efficient way to use them — after all, it's a simple concept, right?

You place the divider between your groceries and those of the next customer, giving some distance and preventing your items from getting mixed up with theirs.

Generally, this involves positioning the divider between the items so the plastic bar runs parallel to the food.

However, the online community has been shaken up by a recent Facebook post that suggests we've been using checkout dividers incorrectly all this time, and for good reason.

4bb925a80a372da4a96a04db8f98605e684d0088-16x9-x0y0w1920h1080.jpg

The shopper claimed that most people are using the dividers wrong. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

The shopper wrote: ‘I’m at the store tonight and noticed some of you don’t know how to use the divider.’

They then suggested that the dividers should, in fact, be placed lengthways on the conveyor belt to create a 30cm gap between each customer's groceries.

‘You need to put it long ways to trip the sensor and keep a distance,’ they continued.

‘Some of y’all use it as a privacy fence!’

The shopper also claimed that placing the divider this way not only increases the distance between shoppers but also enables the conveyor belt sensor to function accurately.

The post has sparked an overwhelming response, with many expressing shock and surprise at the revelation that there was a ‘more effective’ way of using the dividers all along.

separator.jpg
An illustration showing the improper (pictured above) and the proper (pictured below) position of the divider in the checkout according to the shopper. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

One person wrote: ‘I didn’t know it was for the sensor - I thought it was literally to divide the groceries so the cashier knows what belongs to the first person and the second person.’

‘Wait that’s actually brilliant,’ another said.

A third chimed in: ‘I’ve been doing it wrong this whole time. It makes more sense to do it that way.’

‘Well, it actually does make more sense to put it the long way, now that I think about it. It just feels like it’s wrong,’ another added.

Others criticised the post, saying it was a ridiculous waste of space, doubting that it would actually do anything to help regular shoppers.

One person argued: ‘He literally proved himself wrong by calling it a “divider”.’

‘If you put it that way, it takes up half the conveyor,’ another pointed out.

A third said: ‘Are you kidding me? Put it at a small angle it does the same thing without wasting all that space.’

Another critic expressed frustration at the idea of having to wait for someone to move their groceries if the divider was placed lengthways.

‘The people that do this are the same people that park taking up two spaces,’ another claimed.

Key Takeaways
  • It’s been suggested that plastic checkout dividers should be placed lengthways on the conveyor belt rather than in between groceries.
  • This creates more distance between the shoppers groceries, and allows the conveyor belt sensor to operate properly.
  • The post led to a heated debate on social media, with some believing it to be accurate and others criticising it.
  • Some argued that the dividers should be placed at an angle instead in order to save space while still separating groceries.

So, what is the truth behind this checkout divider debate?

While it’s true that placing the dividers lengthways can make it easier to manage the conveyor belt sensor, it’s ultimately up to each shopper to decide how they should use it.

Members, do you agree that the lengthways method is a more effective, hygienic and ‘safer’ way to shop? Or do you think it’s a nuisance? Better yet, have you seen shoppers using this method at the checkout? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

Sponsored
Plastic dividers have been a regular fixture at supermarket checkouts for years and have become an essential part of our shopping routine.

We've never really stopped to question if there might be a more efficient way to use them — after all, it's a simple concept, right?

You place the divider between your groceries and those of the next customer, giving some distance and preventing your items from getting mixed up with theirs.

Generally, this involves positioning the divider between the items so the plastic bar runs parallel to the food.

However, the online community has been shaken up by a recent Facebook post that suggests we've been using checkout dividers incorrectly all this time, and for good reason.

The shopper claimed that most people are using the dividers wrong. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

The shopper wrote: ‘I’m at the store tonight and noticed some of you don’t know how to use the divider.’

They then suggested that the dividers should, in fact, be placed lengthways on the conveyor belt to create a 30cm gap between each customer's groceries.

‘You need to put it long ways to trip the sensor and keep a distance,’ they continued.

The shopper also claimed that placing the divider this way not only increases the distance between shoppers but also enables the conveyor belt sensor to function accurately.

The post has sparked an overwhelming response, with many expressing shock and surprise at the revelation that there was a ‘more effective’ way of using the dividers all along.

View attachment 14896
An illustration showing the improper (pictured above) and the proper (pictured below) position of the divider in the checkout according to the shopper. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

One person wrote: ‘I didn’t know it was for the sensor - I thought it was literally to divide the groceries so the cashier knows what belongs to the first person and the second person.’

A third chimed in: ‘I’ve been doing it wrong this whole time. It makes more sense to do it that way.’

‘Well, it actually does make more sense to put it the long way, now that I think about it. It just feels like it’s wrong,’ another added.

Others criticised the post, saying it was a ridiculous waste of space, doubting that it would actually do anything to help regular shoppers.

One person argued: ‘He literally proved himself wrong by calling it a “divider”.’

A third said: ‘Are you kidding me? Put it at a small angle it does the same thing without wasting all that space.’

Another critic expressed frustration at the idea of having to wait for someone to move their groceries if the divider was placed lengthways.

‘The people that do this are the same people that park taking up two spaces,’ another claimed.

Key Takeaways

• It’s been suggested that plastic checkout dividers should be placed lengthways on the conveyor belt rather than in between groceries.
  • This creates more distance between the shoppers groceries, and allows the conveyor belt sensor to operate properly.
  • The post led to a heated debate on social media, with some believing it to be accurate and others criticising it.
  • Some argued that the dividers should be placed at an angle instead in order to save space while still separating groceries.

While it’s true that placing the dividers lengthways can make it easier to manage the conveyor belt sensor, it’s ultimately up to each shopper to decide how they should use it.

Members, do you agree that the lengthways method is a more effective, hygienic and ‘safer’ way to shop? Or do you think it’s a nuisance? Better yet, have you seen shoppers using this method at the checkout? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.
lengthways is a load of horse manure, across the sensor will still notice the separator, if the person loading the conveyor does it right all is well

View attachment 14896

Key Takeaways

Omg there are more things to be concerned about.

I have never seen anyone use it this way b4 and doubt I will.

If you asked the checkout person what is it used for I bet you will get a look of someone stunned , they will then answer ...it's to separate your shopping from the next customer's shopping

I have never seen a problem with the sensor belt and as I said , there are greater problems than this

That's got to be the biggest load of BS I've ever read, considering the censor is at the top of the belt no where else, when the divider gets there it stops the belt and everyone places the divider with a gap between it does the job anyway. Move On.

Who is this person?? What are their credentials for stating WE are doing it wrong and THEY are right? What if their onion rolls down into your shop because it is not being held in place by a divider? Just put the divider 6" from the previous shopper's items as I do. Not rocket science.

Who cares? Not me.
It’s worked for me when I place it parallel so I will continue to do so.
I wonder how many years it took the poster to realize that most of us have been placing it incorrectly, or maybe, they are new to shopping for groceries 🤔

View attachment 14896

Key Takeaways

Nonsense. There is no "right way" or "wrong way" to use the dividers. The person making this suggestion may have her own way of doing it, and as long as the proprietor of the shop allows it (or doesn't proscribe it) she is welcome to follow her own preference. Others, including the majority who use the dividers to distinguish their purchases from those of the following shoppers, and to indicate to the cashier the extent of the purchases are also welcome to use that method. Y'all is not doing it wrong.

Personally I don't care if you want to dance naked on the conveyor belt at the end of your grocery haul. All you are doing is separating your stuff from that of the person behind you and whatever achieves that objective is fine. Next they'll be bringing back the age old argument about which order, socks or pants first! :ROFLMAO: