Trouble looms over Queensland with upcoming cyclone Jasper and the sudden resignation of Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk

As the threat of Cyclone Jasper looms over northern Queensland, the region is witnessing a surge in panic buying, leaving supermarket shelves in Cairns and Townsville bare.

Cruise ships are being turned away, and residents are bracing themselves for the storm's arrival.

Amid the storm warning, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has also announced her untimely resignation.

Cyclone Jasper, initially a category four storm, has been downgraded to a category two but still remains a significant threat.

As of Sunday morning, the cyclone was located approximately 900km east of Cairns, moving west at a slow pace of 7km/h.

SDC Images (8).png
Queensland prepares for cyclone Jasper. Image source: Facebook/Annastacia Palaszczuk MP.

Despite the downgrade, the Bureau of Meteorology predicts that the cyclone will re-intensify as it makes landfall.

'We are expecting it will re-intensify as it heads towards the coast early morning back into a category three and hitting the coast somewhere between Cape Melville and Cardwell,' Bureau of Meteorology Meteorologist Jonathan How said.

Popular tourist destinations such as Innisfail, Cairns, Cooktown, and Port Douglas are likely to bear the brunt of the storm.

Residents in these areas are advised to stay updated with local news bulletins and weather forecasts, follow the advice of local authorities, and have a cyclone plan in place.

The cyclone's arrival could bring gale-force winds and heavy rain starting from Tuesday.

There is also a potential for flooding, especially if the cyclone coincides with high or king tides, which are predicted from Tuesday to Sunday next week.

Daryl Camp, State Emergency Service Northern Region Director, warned: 'If any storm surge crosses on a high tide, especially a king tide, we can get water inundation further inland.'

He added that rescue and repair resources would be quickly dispatched to places that need them most.

'We've got plans to move up to far north regions they've got plans to come down to us depending on where that cyclone ends up,' Camp said.

Four meteorologists have been airlifted for evacuation from Willis Island located 450km east of Cairns.

Employees have been stationed at this remote outpost since 1921 and are key members of the Bureau in monitoring and delivering Australia Pacific’s weather.

Cruise ships that were scheduled to cruise the waters north of Australia have changed course and are now heading south.

This includes the Quantum of the Seas, which carries almost 5000 passengers, and the Brilliance of the Seas, which has 2500 passengers on board.

Both ships have abandoned their original routes and are now heading to Sydney.

Ship operator Royal Caribbean has apologised to its passengers for the sudden change of plans and reiterated that their passengers’ safety is their 'top priority'.

Moreover, the Carnival Luminosa, which can accommodate up to 2700 passengers, has reportedly cancelled its four-day cruise starting at its home port at Brisbane to Airlie Beach. It has also been rerouted to Sydney.

In light of the impending cyclone, it's crucial for residents to know how to prepare and what to do during and after a cyclone. Here are some tips:

1. Prepare an Emergency Kit and Plan: Your emergency kit should contain everything your household needs to survive several days without access to power and clean water. This includes:

Must-have items on your emergency kit.jpg

Each household should also have an emergency plan, and members of the household should know how to turn off the main supply of water, power, and gas.

The nearest local shelter and the best route to the shelter should also be identified.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) also recommended filling vehicles with fuel and parking in a sheltered area in case there is a need to evacuate.

QFES also encouraged residents to check in on friends and other loved ones if they are cyclone ready too.

2. Check Your Property: Clear your gutters and downpipes, take down shade sails, move caravans and boats to an undercover area or securely anchor them to the ground, trim any dangerous trees, and move all outdoor furniture indoors or tie them down, and check the condition of windows and door seals to prevent injuries and damages.

3. Check Neighbourhood: Contact the local council or energy supplier if you see fallen trees and damaged homes or power lines in your area.

4. Stay Updated: Monitor local warnings and follow the advice of local authorities. If told to evacuate, head to your closest council shelter.

5. During the Cyclone: Stay inside your home until officials advise it is safe to leave. If your home is hit by a cyclone and you have not evacuated, go to the shelter room specified in your emergency plan.

'Emergency services or local council personnel may visit your area to pass on warnings,' QFES said.

'If a warning is issued, make sure everyone in your home is aware of the warning and advice.'

If your home is damaged during the storm, QFES recommends hiding under a sturdy table, bench, or a heavy mattress.

'If you are driving when the cyclone hits, stop the vehicle and engage the handbrake,' QFES advised.

'[Stay] away from the sea and clear of trees, power lines and streams, and stay in the vehicle.'

5. After the Cyclone: Do not go outside your shelter until authorities advise it is safe to do so. Check in with family and friends once the storm has passed. If you are returning home from an evacuation shelter, follow the route recommended by emergency services and avoid driving through flood water. Check for and document damages done to your property for insurance purposes.

Meanwhile, amidst all the preparations for the upcoming cyclone, Annastacia Palaszczuk, the 39th Premier of Queensland, has announced her resignation.

The news came as a shock to many, as Palaszczuk has been a stalwart of Queensland politics since her first election as Premier in 2015.

In an emotional press conference held just after 11 am on Sunday, Palaszczuk declared: 'Queensland is in good shape, which is why now is time for me to leave.'

The decision, she said, was not made lightly. It was a conclusion reached during a holiday and finalised at a national cabinet meeting.

Palaszczuk's tenure as Premier has been marked by significant challenges and triumphs.

She led the state through the COVID-19 pandemic, a feat only matched by ACT’s Chief Minister Andrew Barr.

She also oversaw Queensland's successful bid for the 2021 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Reflecting on her journey, Palaszczuk likened her political career to climbing Mount Everest.

'When I lead this party from an opposition of just seven members I said that the first election will be like climbing Mount Everest. I went on to climb that mountain twice more, I don’t need to do it again. I have given it my all, and I have run a marathon.'

As she steps down, Palaszczuk leaves behind a legacy of strong leadership and dedication to the people of Queensland.

She expressed her gratitude to her party, emergency services, and the people of Queensland, stating, 'Standing up for the people of Queensland has been the honour of my life.'

'I don’t think that anyone who comes after me will know how humbling it is to travel this state and meet so many amazing people.'

'I have fought the good fight, I have given everything, now is the time for me to find out what else life has to offer.'

'Our best days are well and truly ahead of us.'

Despite the timing, Palaszczuk assured Queenslanders that the next Premier will be decided by caucus on Friday.

'I will finish the end of this week as premier.'

'Soon, the people of Queensland will have their say.'

Palaszczuk's departure from politics is not just a loss for Queensland but for Australian politics as a whole.

She has been a trailblazer, one of the few women to hold the position of Premier in Australia.

Her leadership style, marked by resilience and determination, has been praised by many, including NSW Premier Chris Minns, who congratulated her on Twitter, stating, 'You’ve fundamentally changed Queensland for the better.'

'Rest up mate—and congrats on a great innings.'
Key Takeaways

• Panic buying has ensued in northern Queensland ahead of the arrival of Cyclone Jasper, with supermarkets experiencing empty shelves as locals prepare for the storm.
  • The cyclone has been downgraded from a category four to a category two, but is expected to strengthen upon making landfall, potentially affecting tourist destinations like Innisfail, Cairns, Cooktown and Port Douglas.
  • Several cruise ships, including the Quantum of the Seas and the Brilliance of the Seas, have had to change course due to the storm, abandoning planned tours and heading south instead.
  • The Bureau of Meteorology and the State Emergency Service urged residents in affected areas to prepare for the cyclone, follow local news and weather forecasts, and have an emergency plan in place. They also warned of potential flooding, especially if the cyclone coincides with high or king tides.
  • Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced her resignation as the Premier of Queensland.
  • She made the announcement at a press conference, saying that it was 'time for me to leave'.
  • The announcement coincides with the state preparing for a severe tropical cyclone expected to make landfall on Wednesday.
Members, what are your thoughts on this latest news? What do you think about Palaszczuk's resignation? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Littleboy8
Sponsored

I think you're making a meal out of something more like a snack?​

The cyclone is not intensifying; quite the opposite, in fact. This came off the B.O.M. site about 5 minutes ago:

"Details of Tropical Cyclone Jasper at 1:00 pm AEST [12:30 pm ACST]:​

Intensity: Category 1, sustained winds near the centre of 85 kilometres per hour with wind gusts to 120 kilometres per hour.

Location: within 30 kilometres of 17.6 degrees South 150.0 degrees East, estimated to be 460 kilometres east of Cairns and 390 kilometres east northeast of Townsville.

Movement: west at 16 kilometres per hour.

Tropical Cyclone Jasper remains a category 1 system. It may weaken slightly further today as it tracks in a general westwards direction. Jasper is forecast to re-intensify during Tuesday as it approaches the coast. The system is now forecast to cross as a category 2 system on Wednesday, most likely between Cape Flattery and Cardwell. Jasper will weaken as it moves inland during Thursday towards the Gulf of Carpentaria."

As to the reported panic buying, no surprises there, with all the press-inspired hysteria. Some pockets of sanity DO remain, however, especially away from the coast; business as usual in Atherton - Supa IGA is busy but well-behaved, and NO price-gouging.

As to the unlamented departure of Premier Palletjack: she likened her political career to climbing Mount Everest. Eh? Turn it up! More like "climbing over mountains of Other People's Money". I have this image in my mind of King Louis XV of France, hand inside his jacket (to prevent pickpocketing) saying "Après moi, le déluge". She is a true Legend In Her Own Taxpayer-funded Lunchtime. I also have an earworm from The Mikado: "She never would be missed, I've got a little list!"

Firstly, I hope everyone stays safe.
But I am amused at the emergency list, given this morning's warning from so called finance expert.
The list says pack cash, so what will we do in the future when there isn't any?

I thought they said the cyclone is downgraded and will be more like a storm !

I thought Annastacia Palaszczuk was a good Premier and dealt with the whole Covid Lockdown well, bit apparently that's not what Queenslanders thought. Good luck with your knew one , sometimes the old ones turn out the better ones
100%

At least Palaszczuk was better than Gladys "The Human Concorde" Berejiklian. She must have had some very special talents because good looks weren't a part of her resume. Nor leadership.
I quite liked her. How is Minns going in the job?

Reactions: Penny4
I thought Palaszczuk was great until the past 12 months. So disagree with spending money on Olympics. Spend it on the cost of living etc. We are going to be at the bottom of the cyclone. It's Monday at 5 to 4 and we have a a decent breeze going now for an hour and it's not due to cross till Wednesday morning. Don't worry, we have 20 loaves of bread, 50 containers of milk, a carton of Tim Tams, and a keg of beer (for hubby of course). Getting petrol for the generator tomorrow morning and charging everything up so we can stay up to date with how things are going.

At least Palaszczuk was better than Gladys "The Human Concorde" Berejiklian. She must have had some very special talents because good looks weren't a part of her resume. Nor leadership.
I thought she was good actually. Not sure if Crisafulli is up to the job

Last edited:
I don't have stringent political views and certainly am no political aficionado. Both parties have done some good and some bad. I like to see strong women in politics though.

I thought Palaszczuk was great until the past 12 months. So disagree with spending money on Olympics. Spend it on the cost of living etc. We are going to be at the bottom of the cyclone. It's Monday at 5 to 4 and we have a a decent breeze going now for an hour and it's not due to cross till Wednesday morning. Don't worry, we have 20 loaves of bread, 50 containers of milk, a carton of Tim Tams, and a keg of beer (for hubby of course). Getting petrol for the generator tomorrow morning and charging everything up so we can stay up to date with how things are going.
Oh, so you are responsible for the empty shelves at the shopping centre? haha