Triple J's on-air personality abruptly departs during live radio broadcast

Disclaimer: This article contains discussions about suicide. Reader discretion is advised.

Passion and dedication are often celebrated as the cornerstones of a fulfilling career. Doing what you love can be rewarding.

However, a less discussed reality exists the potential for burnout. Burnout becomes a looming risk when individuals pour their energy and enthusiasm into their pursuits without addressing underlying challenges.

The airwaves were charged with an unexpected announcement on Monday morning as Triple J radio presenter Bryce Mills made a startling revelation to his listeners.

In a move that stunned many, Mills declared his departure from the breakfast show live on air, a position he had held since 2021.

1718672549622.png
A video was posted where Bryce Mills explained why he resigned from his job at Triple J. Credit: Bryce Mills / YouTube

The decision, he explained, was driven by the toll the job had taken on his well-being, citing severe burnout and a chronic lack of sleep.

‘I think I’ve averaged five hours (of sleep) a night in three and a half years,’ he said.

The gravity of his situation was further unveiled in a 17-minute video Mills posted online, in which he delved into the reasons behind his abrupt exit.

He took to Instagram to elaborate on his reasons for creating the video.

‘Yo! This is my last week co-hosting Triple J breakfast,’ he said.

‘I made my decision to leave back in January and told myself I had 6 months to find a new job.’

‘And here we are...I’ve spent all of this year documenting the entire process.’

‘If you’re gonna watch, PLEASE just promise me you’ll watch it right until the end.’

‘It won’t make ANY sense otherwise.’

‘You’ve been so vulnerable with me over the years with all of your texts, calls, and messages, so I figured it was time to return the favour.’

The video, which Mills described as 'unlike anything I’ve ever done,' was a raw and honest account of his struggles with mental health.

He expressed a desire not to simply issue a standard press release and vanish from public view.

During the video, Mills revealed that earlier this year, he had considered taking his own life.

‘Of course, it wasn’t something I talked about on the show,’ he shared.

‘The last thing they’d wanna hear is me coming on and being like, “Oh guys, I was actually quite seriously considering taking my own life last night”.’

‘That’s not the vibe.’

‘If someone told me they were going through that, I wouldn’t judge them.’

‘But for some reason, I couldn’t afford myself that grace.’

Taking four weeks off work proved pivotal for Mills, as he realised the need for change.

‘I want anyone watching this to know that it might feel like everything is on fire right now, but I promise you, when you take a bit of distance when you open up and be vulnerable about these things, you just don’t know what’s going to be around the corner,’ he said.

While Mills is stepping away from the breakfast show, he isn't leaving Triple J entirely.

In a few weeks, he will join Dave Woodhead as a co-host on the lunch program, a transition that will allow him to continue being on the station without the early morning demands.

‘I didn’t expect (Triple J) to offer...so it’s cool that I still get to be here and do that,’ he explained.

Comedian, presenter, and podcaster Luka Miller is set to fill his breakfast show slot alongside Concetta Caristo starting July 1st.

Meanwhile, Mills' supporters on Instagram expressed their good wishes for his future endeavours and appreciated his heartfelt video.

‘This is so brave and inspiring, you’re incredible, Bryce,’ one commented.

‘So excited for you and this next chapter.’ another wrote.

‘Such a huge run, Bryce,’ a third said.

‘Few people could’ve pushed through a pandemic, different co-hosts, and breakfast hours like you did, with as much dedication and creativity as you have.’

‘You’re a singular talent, and it’s always been clear that you’d succeed at anything you turned your hand to.’

‘Cool so I didn’t expect to cry...but I did,’ another follower said.

‘Love you loads dude and excited for this new era for you, of sleep ins and fine-tuning what you love.’

You can watch Mills’ video here:

Credit: Bryce Mills YouTube

If you or someone you know needs help in a crisis, please get in touch with Lifeline on 13 11 14.
Key Takeaways
  • Triple J radio presenter Bryce Mills announced his departure from the breakfast show live on air, citing burnout from the demands of the job.
  • Mills released a 17-minute video discussing his mental health struggles and the decision to leave, urging viewers to watch until the end for full context.
  • While leaving the morning slot, Mills will continue with Triple J, co-hosting the lunch program with Dave Woodhead in a few weeks.
  • Luka Miller is set to take over Mills' breakfast show spot alongside Concetta Caristo starting July 1.
Do you listen to Triple J radio during your morning routine? How do you think Mills' departure will impact the radio show? Share your thoughts and stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Yes, we all have to make decisive decisions at some point in our lives. I don't know Bryce Mills. Full marks for him in recognising his "Demons" & acting for his own preservation of his "Inner Sanctum" & wellbeing for his future health.

I, myself have had to make same such decisions in my life which did cost me in the financial way with which I was only too happy to contribute too without any regrets.

Everyone is affected in one way or another, but, the problem is, they recognise their particular situation but don't act to rectify it. This is even if it is going to "Cost" one self in some way or another.

If one has the means to be able to do, life still goes on & you have to have the will to persue your survival & live life to enjoy.

I used to lister to Triple J and its predecessor, Double J, "religiously" from its inception until about 2015 when they become a conduit for that poxy music genre known as Hip Plop and (C)Rap.
I loved listening to triple j when I was a youngen but it was great music back in the day now it’s crap, but young people today wouldn’t know good music if it bit them on the bum.🙀

WARNING, Will Robinson!
Do you REALLY think that some radio pronouncer can "influence" someone with an ounce of nous to to top him/her/itself? That implication is definitely scraping the sludgy bottom of the gene pool.

Not that l know of Bryce, what a brave young man. I wish him all the very best with his mental health. Burn out and the black dog creeps up and then it's all down hill.
It's great this young man has taken his health seriously.
Yes you can get to a point where. I have had enough and l am just so overwhelmed with life l cannot do another day.
It would be easy to give up. Please just say to yourself see what tomorrow brings. Because the next day always seems a little better. Ok l am still here let's take one minute at a time. Don't be embarrassed to reach out to anyone you trust or a help line.
Remember when you are at your lowest there is someone who will be devastated by your loss.
Please listen to your mind and bodies.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Not that l know of Bryce, what a brave young man. I wish him all the very best with his mental health. Burn out and the black dog creeps up and then it's all down hill.
It's great this young man has taken his health seriously.
Yes you can get to a point where. I have had enough and l am just so overwhelmed with life l cannot do another day.
It would be easy to give up. Please just say to yourself see what tomorrow brings. Because the next day always seems a little better. Ok l am still here let's take one minute at a time. Don't be embarrassed to reach out to anyone you trust or a help line.
Remember when you are at your lowest there is someone who will be devastated by your loss.
Please listen to your mind and bodies.
Kind regards to all Vicki
The male notion of "she'll be right" should be well and truly snuffed out.

Approximately 78% of all suspected or confirmed suicide deaths in 2023 in NSW alone were among males. Pull yourselves together fellas!

Reactions: Littleboy8
He is an inspiration to many who find life too difficult to go on. If you have these thoughts, please reach out, talk to those close and find solace that we all have different hurdles to overcome.

Reactions: Littleboy8