TrishaC

Staff member
May 30, 2022
Treasure hunter's greatest discoveries: $3,000 artwork by Archibald finalist hidden in council rubbish

Treasure hunter's greatest discoveries: $3,000 artwork by Archibald finalist hidden in council rubbish

We often dreamt of becoming great treasure hunters when we were still children. We would imagine ourselves discovering lost pirate treasures or buried ancient artefacts worth a fortune, fighting against the soldiers of an empire guarding hidden diamonds planted underneath the king's throne. We'd be like Indiana Jones!

FEHqynQXlE-CwCtMTun41PUebQlUigAbOTx39p3PVOy-jc8l6sXnQyW3yg990NTxg009FzbfU4Z5mw-ru7kJWGFY7IoS6hydXG-ahwQrTDaigz1cxne6QNhRMpnVaYnF2sBIG7nj1bCsKu6p7Q

Source: Daily Mail

While most of us never get to experience this kind of adventure in real life, there's someone who made our dream come true. And sometimes, this hunter even finds treasures that are even more realistic (forget about fantasies now, we’re grown-ups) and valuable than we could have ever imagined.

'It started because I am an avid traveller and move between lots of apartments and countries, so I found council pickups a good place to get good furniture,' the treasure hunter told FEMAIL.

Meet Leonardo Urbano, 28, an Italian hunter from Surry Hills who was nicknamed The Trash Lawyer. For four years, he's been raiding people's council rubbish piles to save quality items from landing in the tip. He has found some incredible things, including a $3,000 artwork by an Archibald finalist— Dapeng Liu.

RATx9SNCWuVSXWnEOtjUrNsYfAeYRDETqe85oSMNR3mxPW7w1UQw2a_J1iJtoWRr1tS-CPdVn4PPSMGOx2IVBZzo4Uvdm7CG3HPIn4tZIPjJIAZlbbu_-OHyh8glKPIHyhSWtWOBUnivI2qe_Q

Leonardo discovered the $3,000 artwork placed in a box of 'kids' drawings' and was immediately captivated by it.

'I thought it was beautiful, if I think someone would like something, I take it with me,' he explained.

Leonardo mentioned that he didn't have any idea of what it was and how much it was worth by then.

He realised the painting was an original by Dapeng Liu, a two-time Archibald Prize finalist who had given it to someone as a present. What a fortunate discovery!

But it doesn't just stop there. It seems like Leonardo's mother showered under lucky stars when she was pregnant with him. The Trash Lawyer collected a lot of fantastic stuff aside from the award-winning artwork!

CeLGkZiUnOuyWBcvFzVY-5DOhIPagScoIyryrpbI8UMFhtOGy16g2zMhsrWZt9A63jlSejKeKyrYECtwBSDq5-rHe28domUzFriDJAE3I0Su_CWHrAKWylLQPy_8K9nh2_eMarEUYr5QZcZvLQ

Everything he collects from roadside council pickups furnishes his house, and that's one thing he's being loud and proud of!

'I hope to show people how to repair or repurpose items that commonly end up discarded on the street,' he said.

'I save, collect and redistribute as much as I can.'

And the items he discovers never cease to astonish him, ranging from working televisions to coffee makers, hardware, bikes, and decor.

Ibf2dHk8IRFaZ66xDUCdS5YcSBq_8tT8ko0FgOgnMUszvvt-f2A-CS9Ps7hIAXtvqxyRIkLnc07bx0HCwrP_rcJsmfQWw6Mowo5aEFx2z_mcAzeFq_hDWQpOtRFukeI_A_rKa_6qKRoKYFCZUQ

I found an ATOMIC coffee machine one day that was my favourite in Sydney so far,' he shared.

0PSy-frC3J_6Y5I3ocdv2LV4AuwhDtQOAd9hgTaIISDqOAGMVreVerHU8jTUV9MXg6DoZ8iKIVlXfIASIrnOSVwd9GhWCPJn60uNspPsIvmGBzdosYo4EzTpXAX3pNakPYFevLz5olAzp_tlQg

He even enjoys the coffee grinder he picked up from the junk, which he cleaned and restored to 'like-new condition.

cUT8UcEcBrYjun4bQs2RZGPEzKwtDdCpzBol3cEylvSOkyxe_PKuithndYtBEMYHPlEh7-PlTCKaC1ruiruuwkFjbMe5ILam8m3xTxLyFcrEetUBbyPcFFkDfi9I7DPeCbLN-l6aFziK06hGGw

Leonardo also cleaned and refurbished a bike, which he claims only needed a little tender loving care to go back on the road.

nZN25YD0jdwmZP0suaQgEi-rAFP-5pbDvOJAtcnPmK9s9Zc1Im1uRPUe1ZYj1J-OWtSK8-K1iRzXrh8CTT-WlozDIhs6d00wxPTTvteJNAOKy_zqzX3n8UMN0P6YxzbCzPg3Rmn4LK6fwHgTdg

He has collected old tools for a 'tool library,' lending them to those in need.

oz0O5QUmEJ5aHNkDrN_KEIjpGTs5dqdmPGnvYGt9pwp_1-rkzBT6YzvIYJYBhUqGcaeXkGmEG98_vM4H7vqCdns8GqPVvRpbHKLKi-jKnaTMgx2Ho7uWe6esOdqUp0-GVPZdAgnAZ3mDogQqaw

One more fantastic discovery—Leonardo was surprised by the two computers he discovered in the junk pile!

Leonardo sent a message to the council, intending to collaborate with them and secure a location where he may continue his treasure hunting and sharing with others.

He said, ‘I am restricted because of the space I have here, but it would be great if we could find a space for like minded people where we could store, fix and distribute these things which would otherwise end up in the tip.'

Leonardo now operates a tool library, lending items to members of his community, but he claims that if he had more space, he could expand and improve it. He wants to, one day, offer classes in the facility so that people can confidently utilise the items after they get them home.

Leonardo confessed that it is not a cheap hobby because he frequently hires a van to fetch the furniture and spends money at Bunnings on miscellaneous parts to repair stuff.

However, just like the other heroes in our childhood stories, he doesn't consider the monetary value of the treasures he gathers, as long as they will be valuable to others.

It's incredible how one man's trash can be another man's treasure. This just goes to show that you never know what you'll find if you're willing to dig a little deeper. Who knows, you might even find a $3,000 piece of art!

And the next time you're about to throw something away, think twice— you never know, it might be worth more than you think.

How about you? What's the strangest thing you've accidentally found in a council clean up? Could you share it in the comment section below?

Reactions: Liag, BJM and Ricci
I had to ban my husband from the local tip. He would visit the recycling area and come home with far more than he took. Very little of it was stuff we actually needed but all of it totally "invaluable". :rolleyes::rolleyes:;):sneaky:

• Haha
Reactions: Elbe
If you don't look you don't find.

Unfortunately there are still people out there who think that the items they put outside their homes for kerbside pickup actually goes to the recycle shops and not know it is crushed and trashed.

This is a subject right up my alley. Leonardo has the same idea as my late husband & myself. There HAS to be a place that can be utilised for people injected with this "thing" we want to do for charity When A bike is thrown out when it only needs a wheel to make a kiddie happy it is sheer waste. I could write pages on the things we mended over the years for Santa Claus. I could cry right now over some of the things the Salvation Army will NOT take. Our country wastes SO MUCH. Unless an article is in mint condition to be taken for immediate sale to one of their shops, it's a no-no. My conscience re charity is VERY strong. My husband was ill & NOTHING was too good for a man who had spoilt me for 71 years married, went to school with me & the Army. I bought "a top of the shop" q.size bed. Sadly Our Lord took him to his permanent home 9 months later. That bed had everything for comfort, even the under warmth, freshly ironed sheeting, beautiful doona 's & the mattress I had fumigated. Every inch was spotless. The mattress had ALWAYS been covered. The guy found a spot the size of a little finger NAIL in the actual material near where the pillow went & he wouldn't take it. Even "I" had not seen such a little thing 9 months before. All up the right side of 5 thousand dollars. He had a lovely young guy with him helping who did not dare give his opinion but his face showed HIS feelings. Just maybe when someone else gets the same treatment they just put it out in the street. .A few years before that incident we changed over our telly that housed our DVD's etc which gave us another opportunity to change over the telly. On polishing it I noticed a tiny mark that was left on it when I was too quick in taking the blob of blue-tack that held the phone on it. Also the size of a little finger nail. Being black it was easy to fix with a black crayon. Same guy found it & said NO. I had words with him until he decided to take it. I heard later it was snapped up before it hit the floor. All our lives we put the Army in front because EVERY letter my husband wrote to me from the Army was on their paper so naturally we have more than paid them back for 71 years. NOW it is someone else's turn. Why did I want to give the bed away? Too big & I like natural warmth. Back to single. When you have lived as long as I have, it is ingrained in you to "waste nothing." On a lighter note, watch all the recipes during the next few months on how to stretch a kilo of sausage meat. The WW2 Mum's were brilliant @ it.
None of us will starve. We just need to be sensible & frugal. We'll be thinking of each other in the kitchen.

I am miffed by the Op Shops being so fussy.
If they refuse to take items because of tiny scuff marks here or there, because they won't sell in their shops, why not take them for placement with people who are destitute? For those who don't have a bed to lie down on, or a chair to sit on? Nothing stays mark-free if it's used for its intended purpose.....
These good items end up on the footpath for Council collections, and get ruined if it rains or is damp overnight.
Come on, Charities, think outside the square.
The Salvation Army refused to take 2 single beds of mine, in perfect condition.
The older driver said the mattresses had yellow marks on them, which they did not.
What he was seeing was sunlight.
The younger assistant just rolled his eyes.
I ended up getting a call from the local school for a Mum and her daughter who'd fled from a DV situation.....so the beautiful beds went to a good home.....

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Ricci
I had to ban my husband from the local tip. He would visit the recycling area and come home with far more than he took. Very little of it was stuff we actually needed but all of it totally "invaluable". :rolleyes::rolleyes:;):sneaky:
Mine too! He loved finding 'treasures'

I am miffed by the Op Shops being so fussy.
If they refuse to take items because of tiny scuff marks here or there, because they won't sell in their shops, why not take them for placement with people who are destitute? For those who don't have a bed to lie down on, or a chair to sit on? Nothing stays mark-free if it's used for its intended purpose.....
These good items end up on the footpath for Council collections, and get ruined if it rains or is damp overnight.
Come on, Charities, think outside the square.
The Salvation Army refused to take 2 single beds of mine, in perfect condition.
The older driver said the mattresses had yellow marks on them, which they did not.
What he was seeing was sunlight.
The younger assistant just rolled his eyes.
I ended up getting a call from the local school for a Mum and her daughter who'd fled from a DV situation.....so the beautiful beds went to a good home.....
The charities lose out by being fussy. People can go around the streets and furnish their homes with furniture put out for council cleanup. They don’t need to spend a cent.