Travelling to Bali? Find out how to avoid getting ripped off by taxi scams!

The tropical paradise of Bali, Indonesia is well-known for its lush landscapes, vibrant culture, and welcoming people.

However, as with any popular tourist destination, it’s not without its challenges, particularly when it comes to transportation.

Australian tourists are being urged to exercise caution when hailing a cab on this wonderful island.

The Bali Sun, a national publication in Indonesia, has reported on the increasing number of taxi scams targeting unsuspecting visitors in their beautiful country.

Tourists have a variety of taxi options at their disposal, ranging from private drivers doubling as tour guides to online ride-hailing apps.

Screenshot 2024-02-08 114402.png
Aussies are warned to be careful of taxi scams when travelling in Bali, Indonesia. Image: Instagram/@bluebirdbali

The most recognised taxi company on the island is Bluebird taxis.

However, even this reputable company has fallen victim to scammers who mimic its vehicles by using the same colours and logo.

In response to this, Bluebird has been working closely with authorities to crack down on these illegally operating taxi providers.

They have also issued guidelines for tourists to help them identify genuine Bluebird taxis.

Red flags to look out for include drivers not wearing an official uniform, lack of clear metres and fares, and aggressive behaviour when offering their services.

Genuine Bluebird taxis will also have fleet codes on the back, side, and inside of the taxi—a code that includes both letters and numbers.

Panca Wiadnyana, Vice President of Marketing for PT Bluebird Tbk, emphasised that there should always be a driver data ID card on the front dashboard and a working metre you can sight and IoT screens placed in the car.

‘As a mobility company that has entered 52 years of age, passenger comfort and safety has always been Bluebird’s priority,’ he said.

‘This is the basis of our commitment to provide Indonesian Comfort Standard (SNI) services with three main pillars, namely a standardised fleet, professional drivers, and easy accessibility.’

Some people also shared their experiences and advice on social media when commuting in Bali.

‘If you want to get around Bali without driving, use online taxis like Grab and GoJek,’ one Bali tourist advised.

‘If you are a solo traveller, Grab and GoJek offer bike taxis which are often much cheaper than getting a car taxi. If you want to hire a driver for the day you can also use Grab and GoJek and choose how many hours you need to drive before. It will always give you the price before you order the taxi.’

The Indonesian National Tourism Board, Wonderful Indonesia, has also weighed in on the issue as they encourage tourists to use ‘established ride-hailing apps like Grab, GoJek, or MyBluebird taxis’.

They also advise tourists to check the app for the driver’s name, photo, and licence plate.

‘Look out for company stickers or route info displays on the car—a sign you’re in the right place,’ Wonderful Indonesia said.

‘Make full use of in-app features like live location tracking and journey sharing. They’re not just for safety but also to keep a digital log of your travels.’

They also said that tourists should ‘always head to official pick up locations such as airports, hotels or recognised taxi stands’.

‘Places like these are hotspots for authentic drivers from Grab, GoJek, and Bluebird.’

Meanwhile, in November last year, five Immigration Officers at Ngurah Rai International Airport were arrested due to complaints of charging tourists to use the airport's free fast-track service.

Remember, while scams are a reality in any tourist destination, they don't define the entire experience.

Bali is a beautiful island with much to offer, and with a little caution and awareness, you can enjoy a hassle-free holiday.

Key Takeaways

• Aussies visiting Bali are being cautioned about an increase in taxi scams, with reports of fake operators mimicking legitimate services.
  • Tourists are advised to look out for red flags such as drivers without an official uniform, unclear metres and fares, and aggressive service offers.
  • Bluebird taxis, a reputable company, has reported cases of other cars imitating their branding and is collaborating with authorities to address the issue.
  • Visitors are encouraged to use established ride-hailing apps like Grab, GoJek, or MyBluebird, and to check the driver's name, photo, and car details before entering the vehicle.

Have you experienced a taxi scam in Bali or any other travel destination? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below. Let's help each other travel smarter and safer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Littleboy8
Sponsored
Bali is an absolute gem, but navigating transportation can be a bit tricky, especially when you're in unfamiliar territory.

I remember my first time there; I hailed a cab and ended up taking the scenic route, which was not as picturesque as it sounds! Since then, I've learned to plan ahead and look into reliable transfer options.

Speaking of which, I recently had a smooth experience with transfers from Miami. It reminded me of the importance of reliable transportation, especially in places like Bali. So, if you're ever in need of a stress-free ride, considering reliable transfer services can really make a difference.

Last edited:
Bali is an absolute gem, but navigating transportation can be a bit tricky, especially when you're in unfamiliar territory.

I remember my first time there; I hailed a cab and ended up taking the scenic route, which was not as picturesque as it sounds! Since then, I've learned to plan ahead and look into reliable transfer options.

Speaking of which, I recently had a smooth experience with transfers from Miami. It reminded me of the importance of reliable transportation, especially in places like Bali. So, if you're ever in need of a stress-free ride, considering reliable transfer services can really make a difference.
Lucky you just come back from a holiday in Miami have we.👍love to go there.