Attention Aussie tourists! Avoid this scam at Bali airport – here’s what you need to know!

The popular holiday destination, Bali, is known for its stunning sunsets and unique Balinese culture – but travellers should also beware of the scams that could take the fun out of their trip. This week, Indonesian officials arrested five immigration officers at Ngurah Rai International Airport following complaints they were charging some tourists to use the airport's free fast-track service.

While the service is designed to help those who require extra assistance while travelling, affording vulnerable travellers a helping hand, it seems that the immigration officers were taking advantage of that generosity – offering tourists the service in exchange for cash.

Tourists were reportedly charged between 100,000 to 250,000 rupiah – that's between $10 to $25AUD – per person to be fast-tracked through the airport system.

kelingking-beach-sunset-nusa-penida-island-bali-indonesia_335224-338 (1).jpg
Popular tourist destination, KelingKing beach in Bali, Indonesia. Image: Freepik.

Assistant for Special Crimes at the Bali High Prosecutor's Office Deddy Koerniawan said authorities were notified of the scam following a number of public complaints – and seized money worth up to 100 million rupiah.

This story serves as an important reminder to stay vigilant when it comes to travelling abroad. We don't know yet how long this scam has been running for – or how many of our Aussie travellers have been impacted.

In 2019, Ngurah Rai International Airport signed an official agreement to become a 'corruption-free zone', and despite this incident we remain hopeful that the authorities will stop this scam.

Despite a strict policy implemented by Indonesian authorities, many scam tactics still linger on the island. The first one is right on the streets – the infamous sim card scam. Tourists are often sold overpriced sim cards with promises of unlimited data and top connectivity, only to discover that it doesn’t live up to the promise. When purchasing a sim card, travellers are urged to do their homework, checking tariffs and reading online reviews.

criminal-handcuffs_53876-139638.jpg
Corrupt Immigration Officers in Indonesia arrested for extorting cash. Image: Freepik.

The second is the currency exchange scam. While it's necessary to have Indonesian Rupiah handy, be extra cautious when exchanging your currency. Some local exchange services may advertise high rates, but then use a sleight of hand trick to shortchange unsuspecting tourists. When exchanging currency, make sure to do so at a reputable bank or authorised money changer, to avoid the temptation of higher rates that street vendors may offer.

Finally, there's the transport scam. Unmetered taxis may quote exorbitant prices to unsuspecting tourists, especially those fresh off the plane. Taxi drivers may also take unnecessarily long routes in order to jack up the price. To avoid falling victim to this scam, make sure to book a taxi from well-known companies or use a ride-sharing app.

If you encounter a scam involving immigration officers, like in the Ngurah Rai International Airport incident, report it directly to the authorities at the airport. This can be done by locating the nearest security guard or police officer within the airport grounds and providing them with a comprehensive account of what happened. Don't forget to give them as many details as possible – such as the description of the person who tried to scam you, the time, and where it happened.

In the event of a more substantial scam involving larger amounts of money or serious infringements, it's advised to report the incident to the local police station. They will be able to provide you with guidance and commence an investigation. Remember to report the incident as soon as possible so as not to allow the scammer to move on to their next target unchecked.

Also, contacting your embassy or consulate is also highly recommended, especially if you're in need of personal assistance. Your embassy is there to help and protect you, and they can provide much-needed advice and legal support if required.

Key Takeaways

• Aussie tourists are being warned of a scam at Bali's Ngurah Rai International Airport, where immigration officers are allegedly charging for the use of a priority lane that should be free.
  • Indonesian officials arrested five immigration officers in response to public complaints about the misuse of fast-track facilities.
  • The scam reportedly involves charging tourists between 100,000 to 250,000 rupiah ($10 to $25AUD) to be fast-tracked through airport customs.
  • The Bali High Prosecutor’s Office has urged tourists not to pay for the priority service and to report any attempts by airport staff to charge for it.

What do you think of this story, members? Have you ever been scammed in Bali or any other country for that matter? Share us your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
The popular holiday destination, Bali, is known for its stunning sunsets and unique Balinese culture – but travellers should also beware of the scams that could take the fun out of their trip. This week, Indonesian officials arrested five immigration officers at Ngurah Rai International Airport following complaints they were charging some tourists to use the airport's free fast-track service.

While the service is designed to help those who require extra assistance while travelling, affording vulnerable travellers a helping hand, it seems that the immigration officers were taking advantage of that generosity – offering tourists the service in exchange for cash.

Tourists were reportedly charged between 100,000 to 250,000 rupiah – that's between $10 to $25AUD – per person to be fast-tracked through the airport system.

View attachment 34991
Popular tourist destination, KelingKing beach in Bali, Indonesia. Image: Freepik.

Assistant for Special Crimes at the Bali High Prosecutor's Office Deddy Koerniawan said authorities were notified of the scam following a number of public complaints – and seized money worth up to 100 million rupiah.

This story serves as an important reminder to stay vigilant when it comes to travelling abroad. We don't know yet how long this scam has been running for – or how many of our Aussie travellers have been impacted.

In 2019, Ngurah Rai International Airport signed an official agreement to become a 'corruption-free zone', and despite this incident we remain hopeful that the authorities will stop this scam.

Despite a strict policy implemented by Indonesian authorities, many scam tactics still linger on the island. The first one is right on the streets – the infamous sim card scam. Tourists are often sold overpriced sim cards with promises of unlimited data and top connectivity, only to discover that it doesn’t live up to the promise. When purchasing a sim card, travellers are urged to do their homework, checking tariffs and reading online reviews.

View attachment 34992
Corrupt Immigration Officers in Indonesia arrested for extorting cash. Image: Freepik.

The second is the currency exchange scam. While it's necessary to have Indonesian Rupiah handy, be extra cautious when exchanging your currency. Some local exchange services may advertise high rates, but then use a sleight of hand trick to shortchange unsuspecting tourists. When exchanging currency, make sure to do so at a reputable bank or authorised money changer, to avoid the temptation of higher rates that street vendors may offer.

Finally, there's the transport scam. Unmetered taxis may quote exorbitant prices to unsuspecting tourists, especially those fresh off the plane. Taxi drivers may also take unnecessarily long routes in order to jack up the price. To avoid falling victim to this scam, make sure to book a taxi from well-known companies or use a ride-sharing app.

If you encounter a scam involving immigration officers, like in the Ngurah Rai International Airport incident, report it directly to the authorities at the airport. This can be done by locating the nearest security guard or police officer within the airport grounds and providing them with a comprehensive account of what happened. Don't forget to give them as many details as possible – such as the description of the person who tried to scam you, the time, and where it happened.

In the event of a more substantial scam involving larger amounts of money or serious infringements, it's advised to report the incident to the local police station. They will be able to provide you with guidance and commence an investigation. Remember to report the incident as soon as possible so as not to allow the scammer to move on to their next target unchecked.

Also, contacting your embassy or consulate is also highly recommended, especially if you're in need of personal assistance. Your embassy is there to help and protect you, and they can provide much-needed advice and legal support if required.

Key Takeaways

• Aussie tourists are being warned of a scam at Bali's Ngurah Rai International Airport, where immigration officers are allegedly charging for the use of a priority lane that should be free.
  • Indonesian officials arrested five immigration officers in response to public complaints about the misuse of fast-track facilities.
  • The scam reportedly involves charging tourists between 100,000 to 250,000 rupiah ($10 to $25AUD) to be fast-tracked through airport customs.
  • The Bali High Prosecutor’s Office has urged tourists not to pay for the priority service and to report any attempts by airport staff to charge for it.

What do you think of this story, members? Have you ever been scammed in Bali or any other country for that matter? Share us your thoughts in the comments below!
said to myself BALI and sure enough up it popped. never been never will.

Reactions: magpie1
Can not trust taxis in Australia also, I could see the hotel as we drove past, it took 2 block before the driver stopped, he then said I was confused as to traffic rules, and he had to drive past it. I have 40+ years driving experience.

Can not trust taxis in Australia also, I could see the hotel as we drove past, it took 2 block before the driver stopped, he then said I was confused as to traffic rules, and he had to drive past it. I have 40+ years driving experience.
They always take the long route,going through traffic lights etc , especially if they think you don’t know the area.

Reactions: magpie1
I always tell people, when going to Bali, to go to a proper money exchanger.
People's greed gets the better of them, not realising that if you get an extra 500 rupiah in every dollar it's only about 5 cents and you risk being ripped off for maybe $20. Not worth it.

I went to Bali once in 1981 and only had trouble with some Javanese and the Indonesian army.

Rode my grossly underpowered motorbike from Legian to Uluwatu to be confronted by three rifle wielding Javanese youths who wanted to be paid for directions to the surf spot. I noticed one small detail - one of the rifles had a slightly bent barrel so I told them where to go and how to get there.

On my first morning in Bali, I rode my bike down Jalan Legian (probably a six lane highway now) only to be met by an Indo soldier in the middle of an intersection, pointing what I assumed to be a M-16 rifle straight at my head. He kindly informed me that I was trying to enter a one way street via the exit!

Selamat Datung!

I went to Bali once in 1981 and only had trouble with some Javanese and the Indonesian army.

Rode my grossly underpowered motorbike from Legian to Uluwatu to be confronted by three rifle wielding Javanese youths who wanted to be paid for directions to the surf spot. I noticed one small detail - one of the rifles had a slightly bent barrel so I told them where to go and how to get there.

On my first morning in Bali, I rode my bike down Jalan Legian (probably a six lane highway now) only to be met by an Indo soldier in the middle of an intersection, pointing what I assumed to be a M-16 rifle straight at my head. He kindly informed me that I was trying to enter a one way street via the exit!

Selamat Datung!
Can think of other places that I would visit before Bali, if Army soldiers with M-16 rifles are about pointing them at visitors and locals carrying rifles too it seems. Next destination suggestion?

Reactions: Ezzy and Leenie
I always tell people, when going to Bali, to go to a proper money exchanger.
People's greed gets the better of them, not realising that if you get an extra 500 rupiah in every dollar it's only about 5 cents and you risk being ripped off for maybe $20. Not worth it.
The golden rule when changing money in Bali is that YOU count the money last, not them.

I was trying to work out what 100 million Rupiah is in $AUD if 250,000 Rupiah is $25 AUD approx.

Can any member please enlighten me? Thanks.

I was trying to work out what 100 million Rupiah is in $AUD if 250,000 Rupiah is $25 AUD approx.

Can any member please enlighten me? Thanks.
It's early in the morning here in WA, but I'll see how I go.
Every one million rupiah would be $100,, so 100 times $100, so that would be $10,000.
Not a bad little side line in Bali, where they earn peanuts. As there
were five of them involved, $2,000 each. Don't know if it's worth loosing your job over and seeing it's Bali and not our piss poor legal system, probably jail time.

Reactions: Ezzy and Leenie
It's early in the morning here in WA, but I'll see how I go.
Every one million rupiah would be $100,, so 100 times $100, so that would be $10,000.
Not a bad little side line in Bali, where they earn peanuts. As there
were five of them involved, $2,000 each. Don't know if it's worth loosing your job over and seeing it's Bali and not our piss poor legal system, probably jail time.
Thank you mylittletibbies. Your assistance is appreciated. (I am in W.A. too but not up as early as you my friend)

You are correct. Not worth losing your job over & when the other prisoners find out what their job was......
I think they will need to go everywhere as a group for their own safety.