Travelling soon? How to pack to save space in your suitcase!

Since springtime marks the return of many popular holiday travel destinations, now is the perfect time to finally take that trip you've been planning for years.

But hold on, this winter has been so long and dreary that you haven't gone anywhere for a while; do you even remember how to pack your luggage?

Here, an Australian mum will teach you the ins and outs of folding garments to make the most of your packing space!

Chantel Mila, also known as Mama Mila on TikTok and Instagram, claims that her simple fold technique eliminates creases and makes more efficient use of storage space inside a suitcase. The mum of two demonstrated to her followers two simple ways to roll up garments into small bundles.

Here's how to do it:

Ui6JsFVOxXSwIWKX_M0mK6rwrDqOypPv4hOIKJMvSL29AJLxHknvJ2y5hewk_l6JZ_R52hooGazSTzdUfeAVs_gftvTb8gQxVGEWprsOPLHz99qHmWuWn19i3Mcs2yYsXLd71epZu5xtZ9ezF44mwZse1pYNp0B2YxCLFVhYLook6q_hVIVm8dxplA

An Aussie mum has shared her simple method for folding clothes before a trip. Credit: TikTok.

Tops (shirts, t-shirts, blouses, etc.)

First, place the garment on a flat surface, like your bed. Then, invert and fold the bottom part four inches to make a cuff, much like a sleeve that was folded up.

After that, tuck the sides in towards the centre until the shape of the shirt resembles a thin line. From here on, it's pretty straightforward: simply fold the shirt from the top until you reach the cuff, and then tuck it in!

Bottoms (pants, jeans, shorts, etc.)

Mila claims that the design of bottoms makes them significantly more space-efficient when folded.

All you have to do is fold each pant leg upwards and after that, fold the pants in half. Continue folding them into themselves until they're small enough to fit into your bag. If they are still too bulky, you can fold them again to make them smaller.

And that's it! Now you have more than enough space left in your suitcase for other necessities, such as toiletries, spare undergarments, hats, extra shoes, towels, and even some coats and jackets.

When packing your suitcase, you can make the most of the available space by following these additional tips and tricks:

Narrow down your must-haves.

Deciding what to bring is half the struggle when packing. Put all of your clothes on the floor in front of you and decide which ones you truly need. If you find that you have too many, get rid of one or two.

Fill your shoes with smaller items.

Your shoes are a sneaky place to store small accessories and valuables. Socks, spare batteries, and other small items can be stored in shoes to make more room elsewhere.

Use packing cubes.

Packing cubes are a handy way to keep your clothing organised during travel. They are made of soft plastic and have a zip-top closure. Because of their transparency, it's simple to tell which cube holds which set of garments.

You may also watch the video below for some helpful packing tips for your upcoming holiday trip:

Credit: Allyson Spieler.

We hope these tips will be helpful, members! If you have more to share with the rest of us, please feel free to comment below. We hope you have a relaxing and enjoyable time on your trip!

Sponsored
I never travel anywhere, so it's not a problem.
A rule of thumb I used to follow was get out what you want take with you, then reduce that amount by half. Always worked, you don't need nearly as much as you think you might. Just pack mix & match items and the minimum of heavy footwear.

Last edited:
We use packing bags, so much easier to find what you want without having to turf out everything for an item that always seems to be at the bottom. Plus you can get a lot in them and keep underwear, tops, pants/skirts, shoes and other bits all separate.

Reactions: Ezzy
I have just done this, rolling what I can and folding the things I cannot. Makes a lot of sense, wish I had known this 30 years ago.:)

Reactions: Ezzy