Travel website warns customers about AI-generated booking scams

Travelling is one of the greatest pleasures of life, as it allows everyone to indulge in different cuisines, immerse in new cultures, and take a breather from daily life.

As the excitement builds for your next destination, it's crucial to stay vigilant against the latest wave of threats that could turn a dream adventure into a nightmare.
Booking.com, a leading figure in the online travel industry, issued a warning about the rise of sophisticated travel scams made with artificial intelligence (AI) that are targeting unsuspecting globetrotters.

Marnie Wilking, Booking.com's Chief Information Security Officer, raised the alarm about a surge in online phishing scams using generative AI to create convincing yet fake communications.

During the Collision Technology Conference in Toronto, Wilking revealed some startling statistics.

'Over the last year and a half, throughout all industries, there's been anywhere from a 500 to a 900 per cent increase in attacks, in phishing in particular, across the globe,' she said.

compressed-booking.jpeg
Booking.com is a website where travellers worldwide can book accommodations during their holidays or business travels. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Ekkamai Chaikanta

Phishing scams are a form of cyber attack where scammers trick individuals into handing over sensitive information like passwords or credit card information.

Travel websites like Booking.com are particular targets for these scammers, as travellers provide personal and financial information when making bookings.

'Of course, we've had phishing since the dawn of email. But the uptick started shortly after ChatGPT got launched. The attackers are definitely using AI to launch attacks that mimic emails far better than anything that they've done to date,' she added.

Wilking warned that hotel owners, often eager to assist customers, may inadvertently open email attachments that contain malware, thinking they are responding to a guest's needs.

To combat these threats, Wilking advises travellers and hosts alike to adopt two-factor authentication (2FA) for an added layer of security.

While setting up 2FA can be daunting, it remains one of the most effective defences against cybercrimes like phishing.

This security measure requires a username, a password, and a second form of verification, such as a code sent to a mobile device or generated by an app like Google Authenticator.

Moreover, Wilking emphasised the importance of exercising caution with every click.

'Don't click on anything that looks suspicious, even if you think it might be real. If there's even a little bit of doubt, call the property, hosts, and customer support,' she stated.

Booking.com and other major travel companies are not sitting idly by.

They are actively employing AI to counteract these scams.

These AI models could detect, block or remove fake property listings set up to scam users with too-good-to-be-true deals.

While the involvement of suspected state actors in targeting travel sites remains relatively low, it is a growing concern.

These actors may have motives beyond simple financial gain, such as espionage or causing mischief.

As you plan your next holiday, remember that a bit of caution goes a long way.

Keep your wits about you, secure your devices with 2FA, and always double-check before clicking links or sharing personal information.
Key Takeaways

• Travel website Booking.com issued a warning about the rise in AI-enabled phishing scams.
  • Marnie Wilking, the company's Chief Information Security Officer, noted a significant increase in phishing attacks since the launch of generative AI platforms like ChatGPT.
  • Scammers use AI to create convincingly mimicked emails and target hospitality workers, making properties more susceptible to malware attacks.
  • Booking.com recommended using two-factor authentication to combat phishing and advises caution when engaging with any suspicious online communications.
Have you encountered any suspicious activity while planning your travels online? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
I recently had one of these phishing scams purporting to be from Booking.com and the hotel we are booked to stay in. It was extremely authentic looking with all the booking.com headers and info plus it addressed me by name and had the booking dates & location correct.
It just somehow seemed wrong. I looked at it a number of times and just felt it wasn't ok. It ticked a couple of those warning boxes of
1. Urgency - had to reply in 24hours
2. FOMO - if I didn't respond I would lose the booking
I obtained the hotels phone number from another source and called them. As soon as I started to explain why I was calling they said "You've had an email haven't you!" I affirmed that I had and they immediately said "Oh it is a scam. Please ignore & your booking is fine."
Glad I listened to that little voice. (I always do what the little voices tell me to lol)

Reactions: Danielle F.