Travel turned into nightmare: Women share travel 'horror' stories in this region

Disclaimer: The names with asterisk (*) have been changed to protect the privacy of the persons in this story.

The allure of the Australian Outback, with its rugged terrain and expansive horizons, is undeniable. It's a place that promises solitude and an escape from the hustle and bustle of city life.

However, the isolation of the Outback can also pose significant risks, especially for those travelling alone or at night.

Some women have come forward to share their 'horror' experiences while traversing the country, shedding light on the darker side of travel that is seldom discussed but crucial to be aware of.

One woman named Jane* recounted a harrowing experience from her youth, which has stayed with her ever since.

‘I was 14, and we were going to visit our great-grandparents. It was nighttime, and we knew not to stop for anyone or anything in this part of the country,' she said.

shutterstock_346963859.jpg
The Australian Outback may not be the ‘haven’ it’s made of. Credit: Shutterstock

‘We slowed down while going through a small town, [and found] bars on windows, burnt-out cars, run-down houses. A bunch of people ran out from the shrubs and tried to jump our ute and pinch the camping gear we had on the roof racks.’

Another woman, Amanda*, shared a chilling account of a 'simple' train journey that turned into a nightmare.

'I was a teenager, and a friend and I were tipsy and riding home. The train was mostly empty, and we somehow made it to the front,’ Amanda* said.

'The train driver let us in the cabin with him while he was doing his train controlling thing, and then he locked the door and wouldn't let us out!'

‘Another man on the train noticed and started banging on the door from the other side, and the driver finally let us out.'

The ordeal didn't end there; stranded in Lithgow at 2 am, far from home, the women were fortunate to find a station staff member willing to drive them the hour-long journey back.

Amanda* and her friend were in shock but thankfully, the night didn't take a wrong turn for them.

Tip
For those who find themselves in a dangerous situation, remember that help is available.

You can call Triple Zero (000) for emergency assistance.

It's also wise to plan ahead, let someone know your travel itinerary, and consider travelling in groups when possible.
If you’re planning a holiday, you need to keep your information safe, especially when travelling abroad.

In a previous story, a flight attendant warned people against a common luggage tag habit. You can read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways

• Women have shared alarming experiences of feeling unsafe while travelling in Australia, particularly in the Outback and remote areas.
  • Jane* recounted a frightening incident where individuals attempted to rob her family's vehicle in a small town during the night.
  • Another woman named Amanda* shared a 'horror' story about being trapped in a train cabin by a 'creepy' driver and later being stranded far from home in the middle of the night.
  • The article stresses the importance of safety and urges anyone in a dangerous situation to call Triple Zero (000) for assistance.
Have you travelled to the Australian Outback? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Why would they go there in the first place? To be honest, I'm lucky that my parents didn't take me there when I was a kid. But now I feel kinda adventurous, and I want to visit places full of danger!

Reactions: Iggydi
Correct Veggiepatch, Lithgow is nowhere near the Outback, people commute from there to Sydney to work everyday. So one story of something that occurred in Outback Australia, apparently many years ago, is a bit of a stretch to say it is dangerous to do so. I would certainly rather travel in the Outback alone and at night than I would in Australia’s major cities.

Some of the reporting on here lately is really blown all out of proportion

Presently live rural WA 200+km from Perth on main highway lot safer than Perth and eastern cities
crime is when we read about juvinial and other crime in Qld NSW and places east
Have worked on Nullarbor property front gate 32km from highway to house that's outback
sounds like too many people believe in Mad Max land

Presently live rural WA 200+km from Perth on main highway lot safer than Perth and eastern cities
crime is when we read about juvinial and other crime in Qld NSW and places east
Have worked on Nullarbor property front gate 32km from highway to house that's outback
sounds like too many people believe in Mad Max land
Or watched wolf creek too many times

To a true Aussie Lithgow is not the outback, it's just over the hill, mate. And Lithgow is a great friendly town. Yes, late at night we maybe very quiet and not much open, but the staff at our Train Station are always happy to help anyone in need.

Our first encounter with bars on the shop windows, the fuel pumps padlocked, warning signs and not many cars was in regional South Australia. We wanted to go to Palm Valley and stopped for fuel in Hermannsburg. Scared we turned around and high-tailed it out of there. Many years later we tried again and found out we were less that 5klms from the Palm Valley turnoff. It does pay to do your homework before you go. Something we didn't do on our first trip.

The wife and on a driving holiday from Melbourne toHay, and in the early afternoon we came up behind a b double truck that was swerving all over the road followed till there was a straight stretch of road to pass and started to overtake noticed driver slumped forward on steering wheel g ot on the horn and had hazards flashing seemed to wake him but next town stopped and alerted police was told this was a common issue, we decided to have a meal at the local pub, the Police Sargent saw us and told us they found him half parked across road asleep very scary but ended well even though this Highway is usually busy with grey army with Caravans and trucks .

Worst fright I got was a damn stupid cow/steer jumped out in front of the hire 4x4 I was driving, just before dark and there's me doing 45-50kph if by chance a damn stupid cow/steer decided to do that sot of thing. So of course, it did, just to prove me right.

Once I'd pulled the mudguard off the front tyre and found the radiator wasn't smashed, I realised that I was long way from much anywhere and that I only had 100 millitres of water left in my drink bottle and that was not even outback Outback, but it was still very warm and dry and dusty and very red and traffic-free. So I kept driving until I had got to where I was going and that was a long drive and also slow because that damn stupid cow/steer had done a lot of expensive damage.

Moral: make sure you have good insurance that covers everything, and a gallon (8 pints) of water to drink.

PS. That photo of a road sign indicating a bent road is definitely a very long way from nowhere; there are no bullet holes in it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Iggydi and Jennie
The wife and on a driving holiday from Melbourne toHay, and in the early afternoon we came up behind a b double truck that was swerving all over the road followed till there was a straight stretch of road to pass and started to overtake noticed driver slumped forward on steering wheel g ot on the horn and had hazards flashing seemed to wake him but next town stopped and alerted police was told this was a common issue, we decided to have a meal at the local pub, the Police Sargent saw us and told us they found him half parked across road asleep very scary but ended well even though this Highway is usually busy with grey army with Caravans and trucks .
We join the Hume hwy near Gundagai to travel to Sydney regularly and some of the semi and b double drivers are no better than the one you came across. The Hume is quite a bit busier than the Cobb to Hay, but it is still scary that they are out there on the same roads as us.

Reactions: Iggydi