Transform your $60 grocery haul into 3 gourmet dinners—here’s how!

In the face of rising grocery costs, Australians are feeling the pinch at the checkout.

It's a common scenario: you hand over cash at Coles or Woolworths and the trolley seems to echo with emptiness.

But what if we told you that with a bit of ingenuity and planning, that modest sum could stretch to create three delicious dinners?

Kim McCosker, the budget meal maestro and best-selling author behind the 4 Ingredients cookbook series, has shared her wisdom.

McCosker's philosophy is simple: it's not about scrimping at the store; it's about maximising what you've got. And let's face it, with the cost of living on the rise, who doesn't want to get the most bang for their buck?

compressed-shutterstock_1089233159.jpeg
Nowadays, everyone’s feeling the pinch of high living costs, especially in grocery shops. Image Credit: Shutterstock

So, let's dive into how you can transform a seemingly sparse grocery haul of, say, $60 at Coles, into a trio of tasty meals that will leave your taste buds dancing and your wallet thanking you.

Firstly, planning is paramount.

Before you even step foot in the supermarket, have a menu in mind. This approach not only saves money but also reduces food waste—a win-win for your budget and the planet.

Australians are known to throw away one in five bags of groceries, which equates to $20 from every $100 spent ending up in the bin. By creating a simple menu plan and shopping list, you'll buy only what you need and use what you buy.

Now, let's look at what we can snag for $60: stock, dinner rolls, beef chuck steak, tinned Italian tomatoes, salt, pepper, and a variety of veggies including onions, mushrooms, celery, carrots, capsicum, and basil.

Not a king's ransom, for sure, but enough to work some magic with.

One-pan bolognese

compressed-shutterstock_2160072467.jpeg
If the beef chuck steak’s too pricey, canned tuna is a perfect cost-effective substitute. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Use the beef chuck steak, finely diced, and simmer it with the tinned tomatoes and any combination of the veggies. Serve over pasta or, for a low-carb option, zucchini noodles.

A sprinkle of fresh basil will elevate this dish to restaurant quality.

Beef satay curry

compressed-shutterstock_2276536879.jpeg
It is recommended to use natural or sugar-free peanut butter for beef satay sauces. Image Credit: Shutterstock

With a few pantry staples like peanut butter and coconut milk, you can transform the remaining veggies and beef into a fragrant and satisfying curry.

Serve it with rice or, if you're feeling adventurous, cauliflower rice for a lighter touch.

Hearty vegetable soup

compressed-shutterstock_78620938.jpeg
Veggie soups are a quick and delicious way to use vegetables. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Use the stock as a base, add the pureed tomatoes for depth, and throw in the remaining veggies.

Season with salt, pepper, and basil, and serve with those dinner rolls—perhaps toasted with a bit of garlic butter for a homemade garlic bread feel.

Of course, these meals listed aren’t all you can do with a $60 shop. Much more can be done to stretch the ingredients!

Kayla, a savvy meal planner and mum of three from Noosa, Queensland, swears by simple meals to keep her grocery bills in check. She suggests using the veggies for snacks, like sticks with smashed avocado dip, or adding them to a stew or pasta bake for a filling dinner.

Let's not forget the power of buying in bulk, too!

McCosker recommends stocking up on sale items like chicken breast and lean mince, and batch cooking with larger cuts of meat. This strategy not only saves money but also time, as you'll have meals ready to go in the freezer.

This is something our own members practice, as in the case of member @Suzanne rose.

‘I have always and still do bulk buy when there is a 50% off sale,’ she said.

‘I have not paid full price for washing up detergent, clothes detergent, body wash, toothpaste, paper towel, shampoo etc. for years. Whenever these go on sale at 50% off I then top up. My daughters do this as well.’

compressed-Screenshot_6.jpeg
How far can $60 take you while grocery shopping? Image Credit: Facebook

Beyond the walls of supermarket giants like Coles and Woolworths, timing also has something to do with scoring great deals for less, as member @mylittletibbies shared.

‘Many years ago, when I was young, I used to bulk buy at Vic Markets or Prahran markets. I would split the purchases between five of us,’ they said.

‘We would wait until about 30 minutes before closing time on Saturday mornings when the vendors would want to quit produce. We would pick up fruit and veg by the carton for a song. Same thing with meat at the Vic Markets.’

‘Don't know if they still do that but saved us all a fortune back then.’

‘Nowadays I check the 50% off specials on the app first, then all other specials then I buy six each, enough to last until the next time they are on special. I hardly ever pay full price for anything if I can help it.’

Remember, creativity in the kitchen is your best friend when it comes to stretching your grocery dollar. Websites that offer recipe suggestions based on the ingredients you have at home can be a goldmine for inspiration too, so don’t forget to check our Cooking and Recipes forum!
Key Takeaways

• Grocery bill shock is a common issue for Aussie shoppers, with the cost of a Coles or Woolworths shop often yielding few items for the amount spent.
  • Budget meal expert Kim McCosker suggests that despite high grocery prices, families can extend their purchases across multiple meals by planning and using simple ingredients.
  • A Coles shopper’s $60 grocery haul could be stretched into several meals including snacks, a hearty lunch and dinners like a stew or pasta bake, with proper meal planning and use of pantry staples.
  • As food prices fluctuate, strategies like buying in bulk and incorporating these items into a weekly meal plan can help in saving money and reducing food waste.
We'd love to hear from you, members! What are your top tips for making the most of a tight grocery budget? Share your stories and recipes in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I have noticed a product I loved has minimal meat compared to the amount months ago. Both Cole’s and Woolworths sell this product.

What used to serve two people hardly has enough for one person!

This is a meat meal in a box in the meat department. Meals like Pork Shoulder, Beef etc. you cook for approximately 30 mins and it is delicious for what was $13.

Recently I bought two packs and I could not feed 4 people.

Great product but now is $16 and a portion not enough for a child. I had to go out and buy some meat to fill the plates. Not happy.

Reactions: Ezzy
I have noticed a product I loved has minimal meat compared to the amount months ago. Both Cole’s and Woolworths sell this product.

What used to serve two people hardly has enough for one person!

This is a meat meal in a box in the meat department. Meals like Pork Shoulder, Beef etc. you cook for approximately 30 mins and it is delicious for what was $13.

Recently I bought two packs and I could not feed 4 people.

Great product but now is $16 and a portion not enough for a child. I had to go out and buy some meat to fill the plates. Not happy.

Until we move to a bigger house and I move my belongings down from Orange to Sydney, buying in bulk is difficult. My partner only has a small bar fridge and I need to defrost the teeny freezer before I can fit anything in it. But I’m still unsure about trusting freezing meat products, etc. He is also a transplant recipient so when his kidneys failed when he was 15, he spent 7 years on dialysis before getting a kidney transplant. This led to a whole lot of dietary issues of things he couldn’t eat and then only being able to eat certain foods, he has become accustomed to eating those. Pasta dishes are pretty much the norm for us. He has childhood memories of his grandmother force feeding him cauliflower and broccoli so the only vegetables he’ll touch are carrots and corn. He also won’t eat leftovers in case he gets sick. And no amount of me telling him I’ve done food safety certification, etc will get him out of this mindset.

I’d love to be able to do meal planning and to buy in bulk, however, I’m really struggling with what to do right now. Money is also a huge issue. My license is currently suspended due to the medical form not going in on time as I’ve been sick myself, I need a sleep apnoea test before I can get it back but I’m sick with the flu. So going to foodbanks etc are not possible at this stage.

I really need some advice! It’s so difficult. 😞

My Cole’s is now the more expensive supermarket. It use to be Woolworth but sine ALDIs moved near them I have notices their prices are slighter cheaper then Coles

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Try shopping at Aldi, you can get a lot more for $60. Also Bunnings has bulk size cleaning goods for a fraction of the price of supermarkets. It really pays to shop around. All prices can be found on the internet in no time at all. Well worth the effort.

I, like most seniors or disability recipients need to budget and do one easy thing. For everything apart from vegetables (if you’re particular), open a Woolworths account and each fortnight add and delete to your shopping list according to your needs. With a hip replacement, knee replacement in 4 weeks and 2 shoulder replacements to be done, I don’t get out that much. for about $10 per month you get free delivery and 10% off 1 shop a month, you don’t end up impulse buying and all the specials are shown in a seperate section. I’ve been doing this for about 5 months and can’t believe how convenient getting it delivered, not having to push around a cart, along with the temptation to pop another few items in the trolley is saving me so much money and time. I sound like I work for woolies, but haven’t for 50 years when I was one of those kids loading up your car boot in parcel pick up.

Try shopping at Aldi, you can get a lot more for $60. Also Bunnings has bulk size cleaning goods for a fraction of the price of supermarkets. It really pays to shop around. All prices can be found on the internet in no time at all. Well worth the effort.
I love Aldi 😂 however without being able to drive at the moment and not being able to catch public transport because of anxiety, I’m kinda stuck. Definitely going through Aldi withdrawals

Reactions: mylittletibbies