Discover how this clever shopping tip cut hundreds of dollars off a mum’s grocery bills!

When Chloe, an Aussie mum of four, noticed her family was spending a whopping $300 per quarter on everyday items like cleaning products, toilet paper, and paper towels, she knew something had to change.

That's when she stumbled upon a simple yet effective money-saving hack: bulk buying.

This savvy shopping strategy not only slashed her expenses but also transformed her shopping experience, making it less stressful and more organised.

Chloe, who shares her life and tips on @mum.wife.and.life, was astounded by the immediate impact of her new shopping approach.

'The first ever time we shopped in bulk we realised how well-priced bulk items are and the variety of items that are offered,' she shared.

SDC 2.png
An Aussie mum has saved hundreds of dollars through bulk buying. Image source: Instagram/@mum.wife.and.life.

But the benefits of bulk buying extend beyond just the budget.

'Alongside the budget benefits, buying in bulk takes the stress out of shopping, allowing us to be more organised as we have a household fully stocked with essentials for more than a week.'

The savings were significant.

Chloe's total spend on these items plummeted to less than $100 a quarter for her family of six.

And the savings didn't stop there—by using her monthly 10 per cent Everyday Rewards membership on her three-monthly bulk buying shop, Chloe was able to stretch her dollars even further.

Embracing the bulk buying habit, Chloe expanded her shopping list to include kids' school snacks, helping to 'keep the pantry fuller for longer'.

Furthermore, bulk buying also meant fewer trips to the shops, reducing the temptation to make impulse purchases.

'It's easy to pop to the shops just to buy toilet paper but then leave with much more than we initially needed,' Chloe admitted.

Chloe isn't alone in this journey. Amid the cost of living crisis, BIG W has reported a 15 per cent increase in customers purchasing bulk products in recent months.

Popular bulk items include 2L Palmolive Naturals Body Wash for $13, Quilton 3 Ply Tissues 3 Pack for $10.50, and Kleenex Complete Clean Value Pack 45 Pack for $24.

For those considering bulk buying, Chloe shared some advice.

'My advice for bulk buying would be to make a list of what products your family are using daily and use this as a starting point for items on your bulk buy shopping list. For further savings, make use of your loyalty programs to maximise savings.'

In similar news, an eagle-eyed Aussie shopper recently discovered that not all bulk buys are created equal.

During a recent Costco expedition, she spotted a package of 12 tinned diced tomatoes on sale for $14.99.

However, upon returning home and calculating the per-unit price, she came to a surprising realisation.

You can read more about this here.
Key Takeaways
  • Aussie mum Chloe reduced her family's spending on household essentials by bulk buying, saving hundreds of dollars annually.
  • Bulk buying has allowed Chloe to stock up on items like cleaning products, toilet paper and kids' school snacks, reducing the frequency of shopping trips and avoiding impulse purchases.
  • The practice of bulk buying is gaining popularity, with retailers like BIG W reporting a 15 per cent increase in customers purchasing in bulk.
  • Chloe advises making a comprehensive list of daily-used products to plan bulk purchases and utilising loyalty programs for additional savings.
Have you tried bulk buying, or do you have other money-saving tips to share? We'd love to hear from you in the comments below.

Reactions: BJM and Petra
Sponsored
I thought most mothers buy in bulk when they have young children due to kids having a bottomless pit and with everyday items.
Certainly don't do it these days. Another reason why I've resisted driving to Costco.

no not all of them I have been telling my son and his partner but she still gos done to the local supermarket I even pay for there membership at Costco but she says it is to far or she hasn't got time yes she works but then so did I and I would make time to go and that is how I managed to save but there are a lot of people that are time staved or just cant be bothered then complain

Reactions: Gsr
I have always and still do bulk buy when there is a 50% off sale .

I have not paid full price for washing up detergent, clothes detergent, body wash, tooth paste , paper towel, shampoo ect for years . When ever these go on sale at 50 % off I then top up .

My daughters do this as well

I have always and still do bulk buy when there is a 50% off sale .

I have not paid full price for washing up detergent, clothes detergent, body wash, tooth paste , paper towel, shampoo ect for years . When ever these go on sale at 50 % off I then top up .

My daughters do this as well
So do I. My daughter lives in a small remote town. When ever her or her husband do a work trip. They do a large online non perishable shop including a weeks' worth of fruit & vegetables they pick it up on their 4.5 hour trip home. it helps keep the costs down, but still supporting the local IGA.