Tragic car accident in Maryborough claims three lives; Karl Stefanovic demands action on youth crime

We express our deepest condolences to the community of Maryborough following a recent tragedy that resulted in the loss of three lives and left one person in critical condition.

On Sunday night, a devastating accident occurred involving a 13-year-old boy who was allegedly driving a stolen Mercedes-Benz. The collision caused the death of three individuals in Maryborough, a town located approximately 250 kilometres north of Brisbane.

As per official police reports, the Mercedes rear-ended a Holden vehicle, causing it to veer off the road and crash into a Mazda car travelling in the opposite direction towards Hervey Bay.

The devastating incident resulted in the tragic loss of 52-year-old Torquay nurse Sheree Robertson, who was the sole occupant of the Mazda at the time of the accident. Sheree had just finished her shift at the local hospital.

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 12.02.20 PM.png
A teenage boy allegedly crashed a stolen car, killing three innocent people in Queensland, sparking outrage and concern over youth crime in the area. Credit: Unsplash/Gabe Pierce.

Tragically, two more individuals lost their lives in the accident. These were 17-year-old Kelsie Davies from Oakhurst and 29-year-old Maryborough woman Michale Chandler, who were both in the Holden vehicle at the time of the collision.

Another passenger in the Holden, a 23-year-old woman, suffered severe injuries and was airlifted to the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, where she remains in critical condition.

The alleged 13-year-old driver of the stolen Mercedes-Benz sustained only minor injuries to his foot in the accident. However, the incident is still under investigation, and police forces are committed to ascertaining all the facts surrounding this tragic event.

Karl Stefanovic, the host of the breakfast program Today, expressed his outrage on the morning show following the tragic incident. He questioned how many more incidents would have to occur before the issue of youth crime is adequately addressed.

Stefanovic stated on Today on Tuesday morning, 'How many times do we need to report on stolen cars in Queensland? How many near misses? How many lives need to be irrevocably changed before we confront the reality that youth crime is out of control? Three innocent lives have been lost in a small country town where the impact will be felt for years to come.'

He highlighted the emotional toll the tragedy has taken on the community, saying, 'High schools, workplaces, churches, families are shattered, with daughters, mums, sons, fathers, grandmothers, grandfathers, cousins, and friends in the deepest grief imaginable this morning.'

Age of criminal responsibility.jpg

Ian Leavers, President of the Queensland Police Union, shared similar concerns and believed that measures such as curfews would not be enough to address the underlying issue. Instead, he emphasised the need for young offenders to be held accountable for their actions through stricter measures.

Leavers stated, 'These young people, including the alleged 13-year-old driver, are nothing but criminals. It's crucial that we focus on targeting them, and the courts need to hold them responsible for their actions. The courts must take a stronger stance when these kids are locked up.'

Leavers also expressed concerns regarding proposals to raise the age of criminal responsibility to 14, arguing that this would result in suspects like the 13-year-old in this case not facing legal consequences for their actions. He emphasised the importance of a fair legal system that upholds accountability for all individuals regardless of their age.

Leavers also explained the importance of early intervention programs and strict monitoring of irresponsible parents as essential measures to address the youth crime issue. He suggested that such programs would provide support and guidance to young offenders before they escalate their behaviour.

It is worth noting that changes to youth crime laws were introduced six weeks ago in Queensland, aiming to impose harsher penalties on car thieves. However, despite these updates, youth crime rates have not decreased as expected.

The 13-year-old suspect from Bundaberg has been charged with three counts of dangerous driving causing death and one count of unlawful use of a motor vehicle. He is set to appear in Maroochydore Children's Court as investigations into the incident continue.

It remains to be seen if these charges and the legal proceedings that follow will have a significant impact on addressing the underlying issue of youth crime in Queensland.

Key Takeaways

• In Maryborough, Queensland, a car accident involving a 13-year-old driving a stolen Mercedes-Benz claimed the lives of three people.
  • The incident has sparked outrage from public figures and renewed calls for action to address the issue of youth crime in the state.
  • Although changes to youth crime laws were introduced recently, it remains to be seen if they will have an impact on reducing crime rates.

While law enforcement officials and policymakers have suggested various solutions, such as early intervention programs and stricter accountability for young offenders, the root causes of this problem are complex and multifaceted.

As a community, what can we do to address the root causes of youth crime and prevent further senseless tragedies? How can we ensure that young offenders are held accountable for their actions while also providing them with the support and guidance they need to turn their lives around?

Is tougher legislation the answer? Share your thoughts with us in the comments. Our deepest sympathies go out to the families impacted by this tragedy and shocking loss of life.

Credit: 7NEWS Australia.

Sponsored
Nearly 32yrs ago I was a driving instructor
I was 50 and my whole working life was trying to change the laws on teenagers driving motor vehicles All my colleges were trying to get something done as well
As of today nothing much has changed
Mum and dad are still teaching the kids how to drive the family car and if they have any bad habits they are probably passed on to the kids
I read somewhere that in Germany learners have to have a minimum of ten lessons from an accredited driving school BEFORE mum and dad can get behind the wheel a GREAT idea. WELL WHY don’t we do it
At least it’s a start
REMEMBER YOU CANNOT PUT AN OLD HEAD ON YOUNG SHOULDERS

PS Raise the age for the license age to 21

STILL TRYING

"Spare the rod & spoil the child" or was it "spoil the child & spare the rod?"

One point we appear to agree about here is that there should be some sort of an overhaul to the Court penalties for young teens & under. Take away privileges as suggested above. An English programme on t.v. some 12 months ago saw offenders put into a compound type military camp, wearing Army uniforms, where offenders spent time being pulled into line in the hope they'd turn their lives around.

A similar camp in an Australian location (l believe) appeared to work well with young offenders. No mail from home for the first week (held by staff), no phone calls, forced to work, one contact visit once per month but lots of counselling from trained, caring staff. Though unfenced, escape was senseless because there was only one road in & they were km's from anywhere.

Most people agree that children are maturing at an earlier age these days. A change of Legislation through Parliament may be needed to bring our laws in line with a population who are maturing sooner. But if that is what it takes, so be it! Let the sentence suit the crime & make these individuals more accountable for their actions!!!

• Love
Reactions: Marj53
Nearly 32yrs ago I was a driving instructor
I was 50 and my whole working life was trying to change the laws on teenagers driving motor vehicles All my colleges were trying to get something done as well
As of today nothing much has changed
Mum and dad are still teaching the kids how to drive the family car and if they have any bad habits they are probably passed on to the kids
I read somewhere that in Germany learners have to have a minimum of ten lessons from an accredited driving school BEFORE mum and dad can get behind the wheel a GREAT idea. WELL WHY don’t we do it
At least it’s a start
REMEMBER YOU CANNOT PUT AN OLD HEAD ON YOUNG SHOULDERS

PS Raise the age for the license age to 21

STILL TRYING
And that would be a good start, as you have mentioned, in Germany where learners have to have the 10 lessons from an accredited driving school before any one else can teach them. It is looking after them in a responsible way to make sure they are taught in the right way with road rules and driving - this could very well save many lives of our young people who are just starting out on the roads. Another suggestion could be that P platers only be allowed to drive a 4cylinder whilst they are learning-we should be doing everything we can in regards to road safety. That is so good that you are still trying, & i hope that you get the support for the changes that you would like to see happen, you are after all advocating for the next generation, & the ones coming after that, & for all road users right now that drive on our roads regardless of age.

I think the voting age and driving age where 21 way back when i started driving!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob44
Why is it that the large percentage of people have these views añd yet the people we vote in to government take no notice of what we the people want.
They now want to make the criminal
age of responsibility even older.
What next for heavens sake. It's time they bought back boy's homes for young criminals, military service for those over 16 and make the parents, if found to be responsible for their children's delinquency, pay compensation or do time themselves
for the crimes committed by their brats .
The single mums pensions, which I thought was originally bought in to help women be able to get out of violent marriages, etc is also responsible for a lot of these problems. Young teeñagers are choosing this as a life style choice, so they don't have to work. Children having children that they don't look after, don't know how to look after themselves, and then go on having more and more children so they can get more money. They don't have enough brains to realise that you can't raise a child to have a hope in life when you have a welfare lifestyle, and to be honest most of them don't give a sh*t.
Believe me, I know, 3 stepdaughters with 14 kids between them, none of them has ever worked, haven't any idea who the father's are of most of them, these poor kids have been dragged up and now produced 16 kids, so far, between them and so the circle goes on and the government and the goody two shoes are the enablers. And this is going on all over the country, no wonder the country is in so much debt.

"Spare the rod & spoil the child" or was it "spoil the child & spare the rod?"

One point we appear to agree about here is that there should be some sort of an overhaul to the Court penalties for young teens & under. Take away privileges as suggested above. An English programme on t.v. some 12 months ago saw offenders put into a compound type military camp, wearing Army uniforms, where offenders spent time being pulled into line in the hope they'd turn their lives around.

A similar camp in an Australian location (l believe) appeared to work well with young offenders. No mail from home for the first week (held by staff), no phone calls, forced to work, one contact visit once per month but lots of counselling from trained, caring staff. Though unfenced, escape was senseless because there was only one road in & they were km's from anywhere.

Most people agree that children are maturing at an earlier age these days. A change of Legislation through Parliament may be needed to bring our laws in line with a population who are maturing sooner. But if that is what it takes, so be it! Let the sentence suit the crime & make these individuals more accountable for their actions!!!
I agree that when the parents have lost control then the overarching authority has a role as described by Ezzy. I lived in China for 15 years and this approach was taken with those with video gaming addiction, drug addiction and those involved in terrorist activities. Western media went to town on this practice, giving the general public another reason to hate the evil Chinese. The Chinese parents, in general, with the above minority exemptions, are responsible and supervise and monitor their children's behaviour, In my experience, with university aged- students, their life's goal is to "get a good job and take care of their parents" Is this what Western children's ultimate goal is?

Let's get back to some real old fashioned discipline. If I did anything wrong I was given a smack around my rear end & the greater the crime the harder the smack. I also lost certain privileges which hurt just as much as the physical punishment. And, no, I did not grow up with psychological problems because I was punished this way. Instead I learned to respect my parents, other people's property and the law. Sure there were kids in my era who were disobedient & law breakers but nowhere near the level of law breakers that we see now in kids under the age of 18.

Let's get back to some real old fashioned discipline. If I did anything wrong I was given a smack around my rear end & the greater the crime the harder the smack. I also lost certain privileges which hurt just as much as the physical punishment. And, no, I did not grow up with psychological problems because I was punished this way. Instead I learned to respect my parents, other people's property and the law. Sure there were kids in my era who were disobedient & law breakers but nowhere near the level of law breakers that we see now in kids under the age of 18.
whilst I don't disagree, I think the "senior" audience has pretty much the same values as we do, but we aren't the problem, nor the solution. The problem lies with the parents of the just-teens who are out of control. It's pretty much impossible to start discipline now when they are off the rails, when they have known no discipline for their entire lives.

put him away for Life and others like him
If the13 year old child , has been brought up through life by parents ,who have lost respect for there neighbours, and the world, the child probably knows no better ,as he has not been taught the meaning of respect. If the child has been brought up with parents who allways show respect to neighbours and world, Then the child should face the full force of the law,as he knows what respect is.

Reactions: Marj53 and Ezzy
It seems that those who take lives by way of car accidents never go to jail even for multiple fatalities. Has happened many times regardless of age.

BTW why the image of a left hand drive car?
Yep, why left hand drive shown? Many ads for vehicle sales in Australia also show left hand drive. Can’t we sell cars here without showing American left hand drive cars? My husband always picks up on this trend!

Good question. I think this is a purposely posted image of a computer game, something I really believe is also a cause of all this crime and irresponsible behaviour.
Kids today cannot differentiate between reality and fantasy anymore.
Most of these video games should be banned to prevent, particularly, young kids growing up with these imaginary and unrealistic ideas.
First step - BAN all these violent video games that are so readily available. The relevant media authorities need to step up here. I do believe that is where it starts together with no parental control. Parents should be held accountable for their children's actions at least until they are 16 and their CentreLink payments stopped (if they get it) or they should pay up and smile. That will make the parents think twice about their childrens upbringing.

We express our deepest condolences to the community of Maryborough following a recent tragedy that resulted in the loss of three lives and left one person in critical condition.

On Sunday night, a devastating accident occurred involving a 13-year-old boy who was allegedly driving a stolen Mercedes-Benz. The collision caused the death of three individuals in Maryborough, a town located approximately 250 kilometres north of Brisbane.

As per official police reports, the Mercedes rear-ended a Holden vehicle, causing it to veer off the road and crash into a Mazda car travelling in the opposite direction towards Hervey Bay.

The devastating incident resulted in the tragic loss of 52-year-old Torquay nurse Sheree Robertson, who was the sole occupant of the Mazda at the time of the accident. Sheree had just finished her shift at the local hospital.

View attachment 18992
A teenage boy allegedly crashed a stolen car, killing three innocent people in Queensland, sparking outrage and concern over youth crime in the area. Credit: Unsplash/Gabe Pierce.

Tragically, two more individuals lost their lives in the accident. These were 17-year-old Kelsie Davies from Oakhurst and 29-year-old Maryborough woman Michale Chandler, who were both in the Holden vehicle at the time of the collision.

Another passenger in the Holden, a 23-year-old woman, suffered severe injuries and was airlifted to the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, where she remains in critical condition.

The alleged 13-year-old driver of the stolen Mercedes-Benz sustained only minor injuries to his foot in the accident. However, the incident is still under investigation, and police forces are committed to ascertaining all the facts surrounding this tragic event.

Karl Stefanovic, the host of the breakfast program Today, expressed his outrage on the morning show following the tragic incident. He questioned how many more incidents would have to occur before the issue of youth crime is adequately addressed.

Stefanovic stated on Today on Tuesday morning, 'How many times do we need to report on stolen cars in Queensland? How many near misses? How many lives need to be irrevocably changed before we confront the reality that youth crime is out of control? Three innocent lives have been lost in a small country town where the impact will be felt for years to come.'

He highlighted the emotional toll the tragedy has taken on the community, saying, 'High schools, workplaces, churches, families are shattered, with daughters, mums, sons, fathers, grandmothers, grandfathers, cousins, and friends in the deepest grief imaginable this morning.'

Ian Leavers, President of the Queensland Police Union, shared similar concerns and believed that measures such as curfews would not be enough to address the underlying issue. Instead, he emphasised the need for young offenders to be held accountable for their actions through stricter measures.

Leavers stated, 'These young people, including the alleged 13-year-old driver, are nothing but criminals. It's crucial that we focus on targeting them, and the courts need to hold them responsible for their actions. The courts must take a stronger stance when these kids are locked up.'

Leavers also expressed concerns regarding proposals to raise the age of criminal responsibility to 14, arguing that this would result in suspects like the 13-year-old in this case not facing legal consequences for their actions. He emphasised the importance of a fair legal system that upholds accountability for all individuals regardless of their age.

Leavers also explained the importance of early intervention programs and strict monitoring of irresponsible parents as essential measures to address the youth crime issue. He suggested that such programs would provide support and guidance to young offenders before they escalate their behaviour.

It is worth noting that changes to youth crime laws were introduced six weeks ago in Queensland, aiming to impose harsher penalties on car thieves. However, despite these updates, youth crime rates have not decreased as expected.

The 13-year-old suspect from Bundaberg has been charged with three counts of dangerous driving causing death and one count of unlawful use of a motor vehicle. He is set to appear in Maroochydore Children's Court as investigations into the incident continue.

It remains to be seen if these charges and the legal proceedings that follow will have a significant impact on addressing the underlying issue of youth crime in Queensland.

Key Takeaways

• In Maryborough, Queensland, a car accident involving a 13-year-old driving a stolen Mercedes-Benz claimed the lives of three people.
  • The incident has sparked outrage from public figures and renewed calls for action to address the issue of youth crime in the state.
  • Although changes to youth crime laws were introduced recently, it remains to be seen if they will have an impact on reducing crime rates.

While law enforcement officials and policymakers have suggested various solutions, such as early intervention programs and stricter accountability for young offenders, the root causes of this problem are complex and multifaceted.

As a community, what can we do to address the root causes of youth crime and prevent further senseless tragedies? How can we ensure that young offenders are held accountable for their actions while also providing them with the support and guidance they need to turn their lives around?

Is tougher legislation the answer? Share your thoughts with us in the comments. Our deepest sympathies go out to the families impacted by this tragedy and shocking loss of life.

Credit: 7NEWS Australia.

Reactions: Ezzy
My heart goes out to the families affected by this devastating accident. It's distressing to hear about the loss of innocent lives due to reckless actions. The incident underscores the urgent need for measures to address youth crime in Queensland.

In a similar case, I sought guidance from St. Louis car accident lawyers, and they provided valuable insights. If you're grappling with legal complexities, they might offer helpful advice. Check out their website at https://www.bruninglegal.com/st-louis-car-accident-lawyer/ for more information.

It's crucial for authorities to take decisive action and hold young offenders accountable for their actions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy and Marj53