Trade winds blow trouble: Australia gears up for new biosecurity battles

Australia's unique ecosystem is a national treasure, but it's under threat from a host of invasive species that could hitch a ride on global trade winds and change the landscape as we know it.

As our nation prepares to defend against these biosecurity risks, it's crucial for us to understand what's at stake and how it might affect our beloved flora and fauna.

Australia is bracing for new biosecurity risks from invasive species due to anticipated changes in its trading partners.

Researchers are concentrating on five specific insects and molluscs that might enter the country via contaminated shipments, such as motor vehicle parts and food products.

compressed-shutterstock_2502550617.jpeg
Australia is preparing to defend against five invasive species potentially arriving through international trade. Credit: Shutterstock

The federal Department of Agriculture (DAFF) has received modelling from Melbourne University's Centre of Excellence for Biosecurity Risk Analysis (CEBRA) that examines the direct effects of climate change.

This technology could also be adapted to predict other factors, including shifts in trade patterns or even the potential election of Donald Trump in the United States.

‘Being aware of long-term shifting trade patterns and pathways helps focus research, preparation and planning for biosecurity risks,’ a DAFF spokesperson stated.

DAFF has been receiving regular updates from CEBRA on several biosecurity threats, including the spongy moth, Asian honeybee, giant African snails, and khapra beetles.

However, the brown marmorated stink bug is of particular concern due to its threat to 300 types of fruit, ornamental trees, and vegetable crops.

This pest is notorious for hitching rides in cargo, especially imports from the northern hemisphere between September and April.

Preventing the establishment of this small brown bug in Australia is also a priority for the NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPRID), which has addressed several detections near the border this year.

‘These detections were associated with imports and one report of brown marmorated stink bug found in a traveller’s luggage. Response activities involved surveillance, which confirmed there were no other brown marmorated stink bugs in the environment,’ a spokesperson said.

Australia offers extensive potential habitats for the brown marmorated stink bug, but CEBRA modelling suggests that by 2100, suitable habitats will likely be limited to the east coast.

While climate change is expected to reduce the pest's presence in Europe and the United States, its range might increase in Russia and Canada.

This insight will enable DAFF to concentrate on cargo with the highest biosecurity risks, given the country's limited resources to address the issue.

This is crucial as, in May, CEBRA biosecurity expert Professor Tom Kompas alerted DAFF to the growing risk of pest species invading Australia.

The primary factors contributing to this increased risk include rising trade volumes, shifts in species distribution due to climate change, and changes in human movement, such as tourism.

In May, Kompas directly addressed the effects of global warming, telling DAFF that ‘there are serious issues here’ as temperatures continue to rise.

The modelling forecasts ‘dramatic’ shifts in Australia's imports, with increases from Europe and decreases from New Zealand, the United States, and Asia, especially China and India.

Additionally, Australia is projected to significantly boost its exports to New Zealand.

‘These changes in trade patterns allow you to predict what the pest pathways would be from source countries,’ Kompas added.

As Australia ramps up its efforts to guard against emerging biosecurity threats, the focus on safeguarding the nation's agricultural sector is more crucial than ever.

With new risks on the horizon, including potential invasive species and shifting trade patterns, the country must remain vigilant.

This heightened awareness is especially pertinent in light of recent concerns over a specific threat to Australia’s vegetable industry.

One such issue involves a dangerous virus jeopardising a key part of the country’s $5.8 billion vegetable sector, highlighting the ongoing challenges in maintaining biosecurity and protecting vital industries.
Key Takeaways
  • Australia is preparing to safeguard against five invasive species that could arrive through international trade.
  • The pests of concern include the spongy moth, Asian honeybee, giant African snails, khapra beetles, and the brown marmorated stink bug.
  • Climate change and shifting trade patterns may alter the pathways and risks associated with these invasive species.
  • The Department of Agriculture has been briefed on these potential biosecurity threats and seeks to focus resources on the most significant risks.
Have you noticed any changes in your local environment that could be attributed to invasive species? Share your experiences and join the conversation below.

Sponsored
You won't think it scaremongering if it happens!! I can remember when we used to fly into the country we would have sit there while they walked up and down the aisles spraying the air before you were allowed to debark the plane>
And no one complained or felt their rights were being violated. We did it.

Just thinking about this subject what would be the possibilities of countries with a gripe say with Australia, what would stop them from waging a bug war with us by dropping pests into our food-producing areas? Just a horrible thought.

Reactions: Gsr and PattiB
I started doing real research into man made climate change about 10 years ago. What finally brought home the stupidity of it to me, was the paper by a 'climate change scientist' that climate change is causing anxiety and depression in dogs.

I started doing real research into man made climate change about 10 years ago. What finally brought home the stupidity of it to me, was the paper by a 'climate change scientist' that climate change is causing anxiety and depression in dogs.
Oh but seriously, that cannot be true I mean anxiety in dogs because of climate change... Noooo! My dog gets anxious if I change his favourite kibble to a different flavour but that's about it.

One of my sisters in law had her dogs on anti depressants a few years back. No wonder living with her & my husband’s brother!

You won't think it scaremongering if it happens!! I can remember when we used to fly into the country we would have sit there while they walked up and down the aisles spraying the air before you were allowed to debark the plane>
I remember that too. I always wished I could hold my breath long enough not to breathe in those poisons. ✈️🤢

But wait! There's more and more and more and more and more....
And one day we may all implode or disappear up our own jacksies (same thing I think) from all this shite that gets foist on us
They suffer from the vapours and they want us to suffer the same.
For those that are unfamiliar with the vapours here is the meaning AND I'm sure a lot of us out there can relate to it......
In archaic usage, the vapours (or vapors) is a mental, psychological, or physical state, such as hysteria, mania, clinical depression, bipolar disorder, lightheadedness, fainting, flush, withdrawal syndrome, mood swings, or PMS in which a sufferer loses mental focus.

Last edited: