Tourist's frustration brews over Aussie cafés’ early closing hours

The Australian café scene is renowned for its quality coffee, laid-back atmosphere, and delicious brunch options.

It's a cultural staple that locals and tourists alike usually relish.

However, one British tourist was left less than impressed by what she considers an 'annoying' habit of Australian cafés.

Ambar, a Londoner exploring Australia, expressed her dismay at discovering that many Australian cafés shut their doors around 2 pm each day.

She expressed frustration with the café closing times, deeming them the ‘most annoying thing about Australia’ during her travels.

compressed-shutterstock_2236074243.jpeg
A British tourist expressed her frustration over many Australian cafés closing after 2 pm. Credits: Shutterstock

In a video, Ambar questioned the business sense behind this practice, asking, 'Why, in Australia, do all the coffee shops close at 2 pm? I will go around looking for a little treat, little pick-me-up at around 3-4 pm, that's the kind of time I like to get maybe a decaf coffee or maybe a little sweet treat back at home.’

‘But in Australia, all the coffee shops and the cafés shut at 2 pm. It's like they don't want to make money. That is my ideal time to go and sit in a café—why?' she added.

The video quickly became a hot topic, with Australians jumping into the conversation to defend the café culture, arguing that there was ‘no point’ to cafés being open past 2 pm.

One café worker responded, 'Sorry, I'm not working past 2 pm when I've been there since 5:30 am.'

Another local added, 'Because they open, and are busy at 6 am, they [have] got to close at some point,' to which Ambar replied, ‘Okay? The café nearest me in London opens at half 6, and closes at 9 pm.’

The second commenter responded, ‘We're just massive morning people, I guess. I've never thought of going to get a coffee past midday.’

‘Because no customers come in after 2 pm, it is pointless to stay open longer. Yes, maybe a few people like you would come in, but that's not enough to justify staying open for another few hours,’ a third explained.

‘It's because we have a great work-life balance, that's the difference,’ another said.

However, not everyone is on board with this aspect of Australian life.

‘I was shocked when I moved to Sydney 11 years ago. All the retail stores close at 5 pm—THE TIME PEOPLE ARE OFF WORK AND HAVE TIME TO GO SHOPPING,’ one commenter complained.

‘Australia turns into a dead town after 5 pm. It needs more life, and for cafés to be open later,’ another agreed.

You can watch Ambar’s full video here:

Source: Tiktok / Ambar Driscoll

Ambar was not the first British person who complained about Australia’s café closing times.

According to another British woman, this is just one of the things that she hates about living in Australia.

There was also another foreigner who complained about some elements of Australian café culture.
Key Takeaways

• A British tourist expressed her discontent with Australian cafés closing early, typically around 2 pm, which disrupts her late afternoon coffee routine.
  • Her complaints sparked debate among Australians online, with some explaining the early closing times are due to cafés opening early, and Australians being 'morning people'.
  • Others defended the café hours, suggesting that there is limited customer demand in the afternoons, contributing to the early closures to maintain work-life balance.
  • Some Australians agreed with the tourist's frustrations, sharing their own surprise at the early closure of shops, and the lack of activity in towns after 5 pm.
Do you share Ambar’s frustrations? What are your thoughts about the café culture in Australia? Let us discuss them in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
There are many things I loathe in the U.K. but that doesn’t stop me visiting! Good grief, get a life. Stay in the cities maybe, our coffee shops are open all day in little Gippsland. Actually am on holiday in England, I don’t like the cleanliness bit. After Doha airport, Heathrow is a dump to say the least.

We don't have the amount of people that London has and our cities and suburbs are so spread out that it's stupid to have coffee shops open after 2 or 3. Most of us don't drink coffee all day, so mornings are the time to buy coffees. For the hand full of people that do drink coffee in the afternoon go to Maccas or Hungry Jacks to get your coffee as they seem to be open all day and night

I was in the coffee shop/restaurant business for 7 years the only time we were shut were Xmas day and Easter Day .
We were open from 7:30am to 10:30 pm.
I was there 7:00am and left the place at 11:00pm.
I just rostered the people to overlap.
We had to stay open late as there was a cinema in the centre and it wouldn't have looked good if we were closed.
In between times I would catch a few zzzz on the top of the deep freezer .
We could serve over 180 customers in less than 3/4 of an hour on 2 levels.... the beauty of preplanning and scheduling......

We have afternoon tea at our cafe in the mall. Not closed. We go to the supermarket at 7 pm. Not closed. If you knock off work at 5 why should others work so you can shop. They too have a right to go home. If it hits the bottom line they would stay open.

Totally understand. She's right. It is frustrating. And I've lived here for 40+ years. I don't understand it either. People don't go to cafes after 2pm because they're wrapping up from lunch and can't wait to get their doors closed. Can't count the times I've gone to a cafe at 2.30-3pm for tea and cake or toasted sandwich etc to find them cleaning up and being told "sorry we're closed".Ridiculous. cafes wirh a touch of class could get more business offering afternoon tea. Those in shopping centres should observe same hours as the shops. Those in industrial areas should open the hours of the surrounding industries. Those on the beach should open dawn 'til dusk.

Once everyone knows you're open, they'll come.

There are many things I loathe in the U.K. but that doesn’t stop me visiting! Good grief, get a life. Stay in the cities maybe, our coffee shops are open all day in little Gippsland. Actually am on holiday in England, I don’t like the cleanliness bit. After Doha airport, Heathrow is a dump to say the least.
Well said.

Reactions: Iggydi