Touching Tribute: How Neighbours star Guy Pearce honours his beautiful mum after her Alzheimer's battle

It's never easy when a loved one leaves us, especially when we know they have suffered a prolonged illness.

Such is the case for Neighbours star Guy Pearce, who has recently announced the passing of his mother, Anne Cocking, following her long battle with Alzheimer's.

The 55-year-old took to social media to share his sorrow, accompanied by a gallery of pictures of his mother–whom he described as 'sharp, fierce and witty'.

photo (5).jpg
Guy Pearce announced his mother’s passing on social media. Credit: @TheGuyPearce/X (Twitter)

Anne was an English schoolteacher who was widowed in 1975 after her Royal Air Force test pilot husband Stuart Pearce, passed away in an aircraft accident.

Though Guy was only 8 when his father died, he has previously opened up about the very close bond he shared with his beloved mother.

Guy has also credited his mother with helping to inspire his love of acting.

He told reporters in 2009: 'I loved going to the theatre with my mum. I was completely awestruck that the actors could have such an effect on the audience and make them think that they were smart and funny. I decided to start doing that myself.'

F4F6tBjWoAIQVVW.jpg
Guy Pearce (left) with his sister (middle) and mum (right). Credit: @TheGuyPearce/X (Twitter)

Guy’s post soon attracted a host of celebrity well-wishes and condolences from many of his fans and followers.

‘Condolences to you and your family, Guy. Losing your mum is surreal, like your greatest fan just left. It hurts a lot, but then the bursts of memory come, and your story makes sense again. The love never leaves,’ one follower wrote.

‘You've always been one of my favourite actors, and I'm sorry for your loss,’ another fan replied.

‘So sorry for your loss, sir. You’ve given so much to us, I can only guess that much of it came from her influence on you,’ a third person said.

Guy shared the painful subject of his mother's Alzheimer's, which had struck her 13 years prior.

In 2017, he posted a childhood photo and a piece of writing Anne had written for him–a lovely keepsake of his mother that he holds close to his heart–alongside the touching words: 'Sadly, her Alzheimer’s means she doesn’t know me anymore. However, I know I’ll carry her wisdom with me forever….'

photo 1 (3).jpg
Pearce shared a childhood photo and a letter from his mum. Credit: @TheGuyPearce/X (Twitter)

Key Takeaways

• Guy Pearce's mother, Anne Cocking, sadly passed away on August 22 after a prolonged fight with Alzheimer's disease.
  • The Neighbours actor shared the heartbreaking news on social media, describing his mother as ‘sharp, fierce and witty' before her Alzheimer's diagnosis.
  • Anne was an English schoolteacher who became a widow in 1975 after the death of her husband in an aircraft accident.
  • Despite the hurdle of Alzheimer's, Guy Pearce acknowledged his mother's continuous support of his acting career, crediting her with helping to ignite his passion for the profession.

It is moments such as these that make us appreciate our time with our family and friends.

Our hearts go out to Guy and his family during this difficult time. Rest in peace, Anne.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
It's never easy when a loved one leaves us, especially when we know they have suffered a prolonged illness.

Such is the case for Neighbours star Guy Pearce, who has recently announced the passing of his mother, Anne Cocking, following her long battle with Alzheimer's.

The 55-year-old took to social media to share his sorrow, accompanied by a gallery of pictures of his mother–whom he described as 'sharp, fierce and witty'.

View attachment 28107
Guy Pearce announced his mother’s passing on social media. Credit: @TheGuyPearce/X (Twitter)

Anne was an English schoolteacher who was widowed in 1975 after her Royal Air Force test pilot husband Stuart Pearce, passed away in an aircraft accident.

Though Guy was only 8 when his father died, he has previously opened up about the very close bond he shared with his beloved mother.

He told reporters in 2009: 'I loved going to the theatre with my mum. I was completely awestruck that the actors could have such an effect on the audience and make them think that they were smart and funny. I decided to start doing that myself.'

View attachment 28093
Guy Pearce (left) with his sister (middle) and mum (right). Credit: @TheGuyPearce/X (Twitter)

Guy’s post soon attracted a host of celebrity well-wishes and condolences from many of his fans and followers.

‘Condolences to you and your family, Guy. Losing your mum is surreal, like your greatest fan just left. It hurts a lot, but then the bursts of memory come, and your story makes sense again. The love never leaves,’ one follower wrote.

‘You've always been one of my favourite actors, and I'm sorry for your loss,’ another fan replied.

‘So sorry for your loss, sir. You’ve given so much to us, I can only guess that much of it came from her influence on you,’ a third person said.

Guy shared the painful subject of his mother's Alzheimer's, which had struck her 13 years prior.

In 2017, he posted a childhood photo and a piece of writing Anne had written for him–a lovely keepsake of his mother that he holds close to his heart–alongside the touching words: 'Sadly, her Alzheimer’s means she doesn’t know me anymore. However, I know I’ll carry her wisdom with me forever….'

View attachment 28106
Pearce shared a childhood photo and a letter from his mum. Credit: @TheGuyPearce/X (Twitter)

Key Takeaways

• Guy Pearce's mother, Anne Cocking, sadly passed away on August 22 after a prolonged fight with Alzheimer's disease.
  • The Neighbours actor shared the heartbreaking news on social media, describing his mother as ‘sharp, fierce and witty' before her Alzheimer's diagnosis.
  • Anne was an English schoolteacher who became a widow in 1975 after the death of her husband in an aircraft accident.
  • Despite the hurdle of Alzheimer's, Guy Pearce acknowledged his mother's continuous support of his acting career, crediting her with helping to ignite his passion for the profession.

It is moments such as these that make us appreciate our time with our family and friends.

Our hearts go out to Guy and his family during this difficult time. Rest in peace, Anne.
My heart goes out to you mate. I lost my mum last year after a long battle with an acquired brain injury and Alzheimers. Like you, my mum inspired me to follow my heart and do what I really loved. The best part about this is all the loving memories and great times you both had.

View attachment 28107

View attachment 28093

View attachment 28106

Key Takeaways

My prayers go out to you and your family Guy, your mum is at peace now 🙏🙏

Condolences to Guy. It sounds like he had a lovely bond with his mother. However, I would point out that the piece of writing mentioned is the famous poem “If” by Rudyard Kipling.

View attachment 28107

View attachment 28093

View attachment 28106

Key Takeaways

I am sorry for your great loss.
Such an insidious disease...it ends up taking one's serenity, sense of self, independence, memories.
The final indignity is when the afflicted can no longer remember her loved ones.

My Mamma died with this, we were fortunate that Mum could remember us right up to the last.
Find comfort in knowing that your parents are reunited in the great beyond...

I am sorry for your great loss.
Such an insidious disease...it ends up taking one's serenity, sense of self, independence, memories.
The final indignity is when the afflicted can no longer remember her loved ones.

My Mamma died with this, we were fortunate that Mum could remember us right up to the last.
Find comfort in knowing that your parents are reunited in the great

Reactions: Granny*Deb

View attachment 28107

View attachment 28093

View attachment 28106

Key Takeaways

So sad for your loss. Her soul will be with you forever heart to heart. God bless 🙏🏽🙏🏽

Reactions: croz and Granny*Deb
Dear Guy, Your beautiful memories of a much loved Mum will be with you always. They are yours forever. We all have fear of what you are experiencing @ the moment & our loving thoughts are solely with you. Many of us will daily try to mend your broken heart. We love you like your Mum always did. You had a great special relationship that your acting never missed its mark. Guy, you WILL heal, but only in your space of time when you feel the time is right to move on slowly. . It takes longer for some, than others. I've loved you since your 1st movie. I am 98 tomorrow & have outlived my immediate family back in March. You will one day lovingly move on to being yourself again, trust me dear. I care!

View attachment 28107

View attachment 28093

View attachment 28106

Key Takeaways

Very sad. Terrible disease.
However to describe Guy Pearce as "Neighbours star" is a bit short sighted. He's done a large body of work since then.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Any son would be happy and moved to receive Kipling's poem from a much-loved parent.

Dear Guy, Your beautiful memories of a much loved Mum will be with you always. They are yours forever. We all have fear of what you are experiencing @ the moment & our loving thoughts are solely with you. Many of us will daily try to mend your broken heart. We love you like your Mum always did. You had a great special relationship that your acting never missed its mark. Guy, you WILL heal, but only in your space of time when you feel the time is right to move on slowly. . It takes longer for some, than others. I've loved you since your 1st movie. I am 98 tomorrow & have outlived my immediate family back in March. You will one day lovingly move on to being yourself again, trust me dear. I care!
Oh Esma Rose so nicely said. Happy Birthday for last week my daughter turned 30 on the 25th which I believe is also your birthday . I hope you had a nice day 💗