Tom Gleeson leaves no stone unturned in comedy ‘roast’ of Paul Hogan

Paul Hogan is a classic Aussie icon.

Hogan, affectionately known as ‘Hoges’, is a veteran of the entertainment industry best known for his role in Crocodile Dundee.

To say the 83-year-old is celebrated — the occasional controversy aside — is an understatement.

But in a recent special aired on Channel Seven, dear Hoges found himself in the limelight once more, but as the butt of many jokes.

You see, Hoges participated in what is called a comedy ‘roast’, where a personality is invited to be made fun of by many guests who are usually comedians.

We know, it sounds horrid! But let us explain.

The personalities made fun of are aware of what they’re in for, and in some cases, roasts are used as fundraisers for good causes like charities.

It’s controversial as sometimes jokes get a bit too risque — but for the most part, everyone walks away laughing.

Well, maybe except for the roastee.

Screenshot_4.png
Paul Hoges participated in a Channel Seven roast. Credit: YouTube/When it’s on TV - Australian TV trailers

Hoges was roasted by various celebrities, including Ernie Dingo, Shane Jacobson, John Paul Young, Kerri-Anne Kennerley, and Gold Logie award-winning comedian Tom Gleeson.

Gleeson was easily the main gun of the set, and he warmed up by first roasting the other guests.

To John Young, he said: ‘You were big in the 80s… but so was HIV.’

‘(Ernie Dingo) used to host The Great Outdoors. Now he just lives there,’ he said of Dingo.

And as if to offer a taste of what awaited Hoges, he referenced Kennerley’s controversial row at Studio 10 with presenter Yumi Stynes.

‘Backstage she was telling me she was worried she was going to get accused of racism again by Yumi Stynes.’ Gleeson began.

‘I said, “Kerri-Anne, that’s Alex Lee”,’ he added, as comedian Alex Lee who was also in attendance laughed.

And for the main event…

‘Paul Hogan, it’s great to meet you.’ Gleeson said.

‘Hopefully this show does really well — you could have your first hit since 1986!’

In keeping with current times, he even referenced COVID in another joke aimed at Hoges by suggesting the veteran actor go stay in a theatre playing The Very Excellent Mr Dundee.

‘You would’ve had the whole place to yourself for weeks!’ he said.

Then, Gleeson paid tribute to Hoges’ famous ‘Shrimp on the barbie’ tagline… but with a matrimonial twist.

316534052_6109860069044327_1445228818784943716_n.jpg
Everyone had a laugh courtesy of these guests. Credit: Facebook/Channel 7

‘I see you like shrimp,’ he said to Hoges. ‘You break off the bit that you want, then you throw it away — like your marriages!’

In between the jokes, Gleeson also found the time to throw actual praise Hoges’ way.

‘(He’s) the most famous Australian comedian of all time — a height that the rest of us will never reach.’ Gleeson said.

Thankfully, at least from the looks of it, Hoges was a sport throughout the roast.

Gleeson made a final joke referencing Hoges’ previous tax woes.

‘Paul, thank you for having me… what’s your accountant’s phone number?’

The full roast can be streamed on 7plus.

So, what can you say about the roast of Hoges? Did the jokes get a laugh out of you? Or do you think some crossed the line?

Tell us your thoughts below!

Source: YouTube/When it’s on TV - Australian TV trailers

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
Sponsored
I used to love Hoges until he got botox and face lifts abd then looked plastic like a barbie Ken doll.

I thought the roast was funny and didn't cross the line.
I'm surprised that no one mentioned his dace change ! 🤔

Reactions: debjoel21 and Ricci
I watched it and thought the mention of his throw away marriages was not funny either. It was nice to see him again. I was at the dentist the next day and they had his movie playing while I had my teeth cleaned, I enjoyed seeing it again.

Hogan, affectionately known as ‘Hoges’, is a veteran of the entertainment industry best known for his role in Crocodile Dundee.

To say the 83-year-old is celebrated — the occasional controversy aside — is an understatement.

But in a recent special aired on Channel Seven, dear Hoges found himself in the limelight once more, but as the butt of many jokes.

You see, Hoges participated in what is called a comedy ‘roast’, where a personality is invited to be made fun of by many guests who are usually comedians.

The personalities made fun of are aware of what they’re in for, and in some cases, roasts are used as fundraisers for good causes like charities.

It’s controversial as sometimes jokes get a bit too risque — but for the most part, everyone walks away laughing.

View attachment 9435
Paul Hoges participated in a Channel Seven roast. Credit: YouTube/When it’s on TV - Australian TV trailers

Hoges was roasted by various celebrities, including Ernie Dingo, Shane Jacobson, John Paul Young, Kerri-Anne Kennerley, and Gold Logie award-winning comedian Tom Gleeson.

Gleeson was easily the main gun of the set, and he warmed up by first roasting the other guests.

‘(Ernie Dingo) used to host The Great Outdoors. Now he just lives there,’ he said of Dingo.

And as if to offer a taste of what awaited Hoges, he referenced Kennerley’s controversial row at Studio 10 with presenter Yumi Stynes.

‘Backstage she was telling me she was worried she was going to get accused of racism again by Yumi Stynes.’ Gleeson began.

‘I said, “Kerri-Anne, that’s Alex Lee”,’ he added, as comedian Alex Lee who was also in attendance laughed.

And for the main event…

‘Hopefully this show does really well — you could have your first hit since 1986!’

In keeping with current times, he even referenced COVID in another joke aimed at Hoges by suggesting the veteran actor go stay in a theatre playing The Very Excellent Mr Dundee.

Then, Gleeson paid tribute to Hoges’ famous ‘Shrimp on the barbie’ tagline… but with a matrimonial twist.

View attachment 9437

‘I see you like shrimp,’ he said to Hoges. ‘You break off the bit that you want, then you throw it away — like your marriages!’

In between the jokes, Gleeson also found the time to throw actual praise Hoges’ way.

‘(He’s) the most famous Australian comedian of all time — a height that the rest of us will never reach.’ Gleeson said.

Thankfully, at least from the looks of it, Hoges was a sport throughout the roast.

So, what can you say about the roast of Hoges? Did the jokes get a laugh out of you? Or do you think some crossed the line?

I thought this t.v rubbish was in pretty bad taste, given that most of the "roasters" had never even met Paul Hogan . As for the repeated mentions of Charlie and Boots, i had never seen this, but it came up on the SBS app and so i did. Was a light hearted Aussie movie, a nice change from the rot that we are fed daily by free to air stations. Well done Hoges!

In general Roasts are supposed to be funny. I can appreciate this however, there are some jokes that are just so spiteful, rude and crude and those jokes should not have even been allowed. If the joke is mean and spiteful even though funny , it still should not be allowed. The guest may be smiling on the outside but it would hurt him on the inside. And we all know celebrities have such massive egos! so, funny is OK but spiteful and mean is not OK

I had never seen (or heard of) a roast so I thought I'd give it a go. That's a period of time I'll never get back! I thought in the main it was unfunny and meaningless. Each of the roasters was stroking their own ego at the expense of one another, mentioning things that only an industry insider would know (or care) about. To my mind it was a total waste of time and an example of car crash tv. :(

Last edited:

View attachment 9435

And for the main event…

View attachment 9437

Tom Gleeson is a spiteful, unfunny comedian, especially the crack about his marriages. Hoges' granddaughter was sitting right there having her grandmother slighted. He has no class.

I had never seen (or heard of) a roast so I thought I'd give it a go. That's a period of time I'll never get back! I thought in the main it was unfunny and meaningless. Each of the roasters was stroking their own ego at the expense of one another, mentioning things that only an industry insider would know (or care) about. To my mind it was a total waste of time and an example of car crash tv. :(
It's been big in the USA for decades

I didn't watch the programme because I don't think roasts are funny. I don't understand what is so entertaining about making mean jokes at another person's expense. No matter how self-confident and resilient the person is, some of those shots are bound to hurt the person and/or their family. Being able to laugh at yourself is one thing, being subjected to a roast is another thing entirely.

Last edited:

View attachment 9435

And for the main event…

View attachment 9437

You must be Jokin..A bloke that just about singlehandedly insulted every Italian, Greek and Spanish national that ever came to this country...Yeah bloody funny, "keep a dancin Maria" in that horrible piss-take demeaning accent. I wish they had given him twice as much. It's all bloody funny when they stick a good dose of racism in there but you bastards that thought that was funny never had to go to school being insulted every Friday after his vulgar attempts at slagging off immigrants. And it still happens..FFS Grow up.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 9435

And for the main event…

View attachment 9437

I think Paul Hogan went along with most of the roasting gracefully, but for Tom Gleeson (knowing what kind of 'comedian' he is), should they have not included him in this Roast? I don't think so.

Tom Gleeson is a spiteful, unfunny comedian, especially the crack about his marriages. Hoges' granddaughter was sitting right there having her grandmother slighted. He has no class.
For sure you're right. He likes the nasty sort of humour which to me is not humour at all. Truly setting out to be as nasty as he was (and is all the time), I don't think Gleeson should have been on the show at all.

I agree with Koom above. I watched the roast and really I don't know why because it wasn't funny at all really. I do have a sense of humour but it must be a lot different to those comedians - all of whom thought they were hilarious. Gleeson?? Rubbish.
A very good example of just how cruel and raucous the Australian sense of humor can get when some good old blokes are hanging on the bottom rung and are willing to toss crap at a decent good humourous comedian
I have turned off many programs including the Logi as that GLEESON fellow appeared. Trash and rubbish, Paul Made it for himself and for this country.