Toll Scam Leaves Pensioner Devastated - Don't Let This Happen to You!

In today's world, scams and fraudulent activities are rampant, and unfortunately, it is not uncommon to hear stories of people falling prey to these scams.

Toll scams, which have become increasingly prevalent, have been a cause of concern for many motorists. These scams involve fraudsters sending messages to unsuspecting victims, requesting payment for tolls that they never incurred.

As alarming as this is, what's even more concerning is the devastating effects on those who have fallen victim to the toll scam.

The scam can be financially and emotionally draining, leaving victims feeling helpless and vulnerable.

Some victims end up losing substantial amounts of money, while others suffer from anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues as a result.

The impact of these scams extends beyond the individual victim, as it can also have ripple effects on their families and loved ones.

Aged pensioner Andrew Engel, 74, revealed that his life had been turned upside down after accidentally being caught out.

'I go to bed at night and it’s the last thing I think about. I wake in the morning and it’s the first thing on my mind,’ he shared.

‘I went to the doctor today, and he says my blood pressure has gone through the roof.’

1682649638781.png
The shocking ‘toll scam’ left pensioner Andrew Engel devastated. Credit: Shutterstock.

Sadly, this isn’t an uncommon story. Thousands of Australians have fallen victim to the same scam, and it all starts with a simple text message.

Engel, who has a tag on his car for tolls, received a text message claiming to be from toll collection company Linkt asking him to pay a $5 toll or risk a fine.

Little did Engel know, the link to the company website and the URL were completely fake. The criminals had set a trap for him and later fleeced his credit card for an astonishing $11,000.

'It may as well have been a million,' Engel said.

The 74-year-old pensioner, who lives on a limited income, argued with his bank, but they refused to cover the cost.

According to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), this scam has affected tens of thousands of Australians. As soon as criminals obtain a credit card, they start shopping right away.

Former ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said: 'It is very good and looks legitimate. But it’s a scam.’

Linkt and Etoll, the two primary toll collection companies, have stated that they do not send customers text messages regarding non-payments.

Therefore, if you receive such a message, it is recommended to ignore and delete it.

Key Takeaways
  • Toll scams are deceiving thousands of Australians, leaving victims financially and emotionally drained.
  • Aged pensioner Andrew Engel lost $11,000 after falling prey to this scam, and thousands of others have shared similar experiences.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) reports that tens of thousands of Australians have been affected by this scam.
  • To avoid such scams, be wary of unfamiliar messages, contact companies directly using official phone numbers, inform friends and family about the scams, and use cybersecurity features like secure password managers and fraud monitoring services.

Members, it might seem like a harmless mistake, but it can have serious and far-reaching consequences.
We also want to share some of our top tips to help you avoid these scams:

1. Be wary of messages from unfamiliar numbers, even if they claim to be from legitimate businesses or government agencies.

2. If you're unsure about a message, call the company or agency directly using their official phone number – not the one provided in the message.

3. Inform your friends and family about these scams, as spreading the word can help protect others from these heartless criminals.

4. Make use of cybersecurity features like secure password managers and fraud monitoring services. Such tools may offer extra protection and help keep your personal information safe.

Stay safe out there, folks! Feel free to share this report with your friends and loved ones so they can avoid this new scamming scheme as well.

Sponsored
Have a bank account with a debit card and only a small amount of money. Use this to pay all online purchases etc. That way if scammed, there is very little funds to take and it is more likely the banks will pick up any thing unusual with your debit card.

Too many scams nowadays!
For instance the govt is telling us to use the toll roads and offers rebates if used frequently for some people!
Ever since we stopped using the toll roads, we feel we are now more in charge of where our monies go! Paying for toll roads should be paid for by the govt instead of scamming road users! More and more road users are avoiding the toll roads to save $$! Public servants govt ministers have no idea of costs and they expect road users to foot the bill which they should have done in the first place ! This is also a scam!

Older Australians are more easily duped thanks to federal govt and state govts thanks to outdated laws and not caring about telcos etc bugging people
Use of Australian mobile numbers by scammers is too high
Why? Australian govt doesn’t care except to get paid

Reactions: robbie's
In today's world, scams and fraudulent activities are rampant, and unfortunately, it is not uncommon to hear stories of people falling prey to these scams.

Toll scams, which have become increasingly prevalent, have been a cause of concern for many motorists. These scams involve fraudsters sending messages to unsuspecting victims, requesting payment for tolls that they never incurred.

As alarming as this is, what's even more concerning is the devastating effects on those who have fallen victim to the toll scam.

The scam can be financially and emotionally draining, leaving victims feeling helpless and vulnerable.

Some victims end up losing substantial amounts of money, while others suffer from anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues as a result.

The impact of these scams extends beyond the individual victim, as it can also have ripple effects on their families and loved ones.

Aged pensioner Andrew Engel, 74, revealed that his life had been turned upside down after accidentally being caught out.

'I go to bed at night and it’s the last thing I think about. I wake in the morning and it’s the first thing on my mind,’ he shared.

‘I went to the doctor today, and he says my blood pressure has gone through the roof.’

View attachment 18516
The shocking ‘toll scam’ left pensioner Andrew Engel devastated. Credit: Shutterstock.

Sadly, this isn’t an uncommon story. Thousands of Australians have fallen victim to the same scam, and it all starts with a simple text message.

Engel, who has a tag on his car for tolls, received a text message claiming to be from toll collection company Linkt asking him to pay a $5 toll or risk a fine.

Little did Engel know, the link to the company website and the URL were completely fake. The criminals had set a trap for him and later fleeced his credit card for an astonishing $11,000.

The 74-year-old pensioner, who lives on a limited income, argued with his bank, but they refused to cover the cost.

According to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), this scam has affected tens of thousands of Australians. As soon as criminals obtain a credit card, they start shopping right away.

Former ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said: 'It is very good and looks legitimate. But it’s a scam.’

Linkt and Etoll, the two primary toll collection companies, have stated that they do not send customers text messages regarding non-payments.

Therefore, if you receive such a message, it is recommended to ignore and delete it.

Key Takeaways

• Toll scams are deceiving thousands of Australians, leaving victims financially and emotionally drained.
  • Aged pensioner Andrew Engel lost $11,000 after falling prey to this scam, and thousands of others have shared similar experiences.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) reports that tens of thousands of Australians have been affected by this scam.
  • To avoid such scams, be wary of unfamiliar messages, contact companies directly using official phone numbers, inform friends and family about the scams, and use cybersecurity features like secure password managers and fraud monitoring services.

Members, it might seem like a harmless mistake, but it can have serious and far-reaching consequences.

1. Be wary of messages from unfamiliar numbers, even if they claim to be from legitimate businesses or government agencies.

2. If you're unsure about a message, call the company or agency directly using their official phone number – not the one provided in the message.

3. Inform your friends and family about these scams, as spreading the word can help protect others from these heartless criminals.

4. Make use of cybersecurity features like secure password managers and fraud monitoring services. Such tools may offer extra protection and help keep your personal information safe.

Stay safe out there, folks! Feel free to share this report with your friends and loved ones so they can avoid this new scamming scheme as well.

Honestly, do people who use the internet or have a smart phone never read the news, never watch tv, read the information constantly being sent out telling us to watch out for these types of scams. I do not know how many times I have read or seen content on TV where these have been discussed. Just do not click on anything. Ring the company or bank direct. I got a text message to say my bank account was frozen. I just deleted the text knowing it was fake as the bank do not send out these type of messages and went online and checked my bank account and of course it was not frozen at all. Also if you click on a link on your computer showing a dog waiting for its owner you will get a flashing sign coming up saying your screen is frozen and you have to ring the number on the screen. DO NOT DO so...just turn off your computer and at the wall. Wait 5 mins and turn back on....all will be back to normal. Neighbours of mine had this happen and ended up handing over access to their computer and watched as their cursor moved all over the place. Long store short they ended up buying a new computer.

This has happened to me twice - each time just after I had purchased an e-ticket for a "one off" journey as I don't have an e-tag and the scam amount was claiming the same amount ($17 from memory). It made me pay attention because I was sure I had paid with credit card, so checked my statement and the payment was there, so I ignored the "scam". Seems strange that I was "scammed" just after buying for the day ticket (which happens about twice a year) - like there's a connection somewhere where the scammers have inside info! Just sleuthing...Same thing happened with a myGov scam letter - exactly the same amount as a medicare refund I was expecting, but turned out it was just a scam letter. Almost like it comes from someone inside the office itself.

I received a phone call from the ANZ Fraud Dept saying someone was charging $999 to my account and to choose 1 or 2 to solve the problem. Not believing this I phoned the bank, what a joke and time waster. 45 minutes I spent putting in the customer number and selecting to speak to a person, only to be sent back to the beginning again. It didn't matter what I chose I just kept returning to the start. I finally managed to get onto a Dept only to be told there was no-one available to talk to and the line went dead. Conclusion - banks want your money but don't want to talk to you.

View attachment 18516

Key Takeaways

The ways scammers are trying to get our money is continually changing and we should check everything thoroughly before clicking links sent. Always contact the person or company yourself with the contact number you already have...yesterday I was contacted by a "friend" on Messenger asking if I knew about a grant by the DHHS...I immediately rang the person on the number I had for them and found out their Messenger account had been hacked and the message was a scam. Just be vigilant and double check everything, no matter how legitimate it may seem.

View attachment 18516

Key Takeaways

image000000.jpg
This was sent to my husband through his Messenger account by someone who had hacked into a friend's account. My husband thought it was his mate because the profile picture was of him and did engage in a short conversation but when he showed me I thought it wasn't right and we rang our friend on the contact number we had and worked out he had been hacked. ALWAYS double check everything and never click on links unless you're absolutely sure of where it came from

• Angry
I have had my QANTAS travel card hacked for the 2nd time. This time it was for a purchase of $100 Gift Cards in the USA, Bella Vista. It is being investigated but that takes months. The previous time, 5 years ago, I had carefully built up a small balance in SGD prior to a planned visit to Singapore only to find out when I got there that my balance was zero, someone had taken $20 payments out of it, repeatedly, till the account was empty. Naturally, the card is immediately cancelled and re-issued with different numbers. Contacting Mastercard Complaints was the only way the first case was settled after many months. So far, a slightly better response from QANTAS with the current problem, but no immediate solution, just paperwork.

Have a bank account with a debit card and only a small amount of money. Use this to pay all online purchases etc. That way if scammed, there is very little funds to take and it is more likely the banks will pick up any thing unusual with your debit card.
Good advice

Reactions: Defiant540
T

View attachment 18516

Key Takeaways

This is one reason I am glad to live in Adelaide, we dont habe tolls here at all,!

The ways scammers are trying to get our money is continually changing and we should check everything thoroughly before clicking links sent. Always contact the person or company yourself with the contact number you already have...yesterday I was contacted by a "friend" on Messenger asking if I knew about a grant by the DHHS...I immediately rang the person on the number I had for them and found out their Messenger account had been hacked and the message was a scam. Just be vigilant and double check everything, no matter how legitimate it may seem.

View attachment 18663
This was sent to my husband through his Messenger account by someone who had hacked into a friend's account. My husband thought it was his mate because the profile picture was of him and did engage in a short conversation but when he showed me I thought it wasn't right and we rang our friend on the contact number we had and worked out he had been hacked. ALWAYS double check everything and never click on links unless you're absolutely sure of where it came from
Within families it pays to have a "code" word that only those in the family know. If someone rings or texts you ask them for the code word. You will find they hang up or go no contact pretty quickly.

Yes, I do this too. A debit card for online transactions only with not much on it. Helps me sleep at night.

Reactions: Alikat1208

View attachment 18516

Key Takeaways

There aren’t any tolls in WA so the scam is obvious here, but we still get the texts occasionally.

View attachment 18516

Key Takeaways

My daughter almost got scammed and she is in her 40's. She is also technical savvy but it was because they had so much information on her and on her card.
So for older people like us its hard to tell the difference. It really sad that this happens, I would like to say what should happen to these people who cheat and steal from us older people but you wouldn't be able to print it. 😁

Anything I buy online I pay for using PayPal as I know from previous experience (at least 4 times) that if the goods don’t arrive or are not as described I will be able to get my money back.

Any messages from supposedly legitimate sites telling me I owe money I just ignore.

I cannot understand why anyone still falls for these scams after all the warnings we get.

Reactions: Chicky and rehandra