Today hosts get real about smacking (or not smacking) their kids

The topic of smacking your kids or grandkids continues to be a controversial one, with many people strongly divided over whether or not it’s an acceptable form of discipline for parents to use on their children.

But why is everyone talking about smacking all of the sudden? Well, there are calls for it to become illegal in Australia (Yes, illegal). National Children’s Commissioner, Anne Hollonds, has called for smacking to be made illegal as data shows children who have seen and experienced physical abuse are more than nine times more likely to use violence in the home.

Everyone has a different take on smacking, some say that a smack is just a tap on the bottom and not actually considered violent, while others believe any form of physical punishment is wrong and should be made illegal.

OQ_ikBo3dLviNpcVlWBUng9jzNWUcl0VqoWHruzMeNYDc2__sv0ZR1wG1AiEheyOHzjjVS4vA0AefmrUK73zzve8_VO-EkSLV-fIQmQNgbVKCCgg2DZOiQjyWsv2djIm4AsC-N0cS66jnbsrjdHtAjaUzEEzlvbXoQKHmWLLJqlHFFuKf9ggyJO3fg

Karl and Ally ask the big question: Should smacking be made illegal? Image source: Today.

This week, the hosts of Channel 9’s Today Show decided to share their own thoughts and experiences on the matter.

Ally Langdon kicked things off by revealing that she was smacked as a child, but not very often. She also said it wasn’t her father who did most of the smacking – that job usually fell to her mother. However, she admitted that even the threat of her dad getting involved was enough to make her behave herself!

Alex Cullen and Karl Stefanovic both chimed in next, saying they were also smacked as kids. But while Karl said he would tap his own children if they were doing something dangerous (like running towards a busy road), Alex claimed he couldn’t imagine ever hitting his kids – no matter what they did.

All three hosts agreed that bending your child over your lap and giving them a hard smack would definitely be going too far. Ally also pointed out that when it comes to legislation surrounding smacking, there are so many different interpretations of what actually constitutes ‘smacking’ – making it difficult to implement any official laws around it without causing more confusion than necessary.

Naturally, the three hosts wanted to know what their viewers thought of smacking being made illegal, so they made a ‘poll’ on social media, and the outcome was surprising to all three of them. It turns out, ‘just 15 per cent of Australians agreed smacking should be made illegal, while 85 per cent disagreed.’

So, what do you think, members? Do you think smacking is okay and should remain legal? Or do you think it is wrong and should be a crime? Or, are you of the opinion that it’s far too complicated to define ‘smacking’ and the law shouldn’t be getting involved in disciplining a child? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comment section below!

Sponsored
The topic of smacking your kids or grandkids continues to be a controversial one, with many people strongly divided over whether or not it’s an acceptable form of discipline for parents to use on their children.

But why is everyone talking about smacking all of the sudden? Well, there are calls for it to become illegal in Australia (Yes, illegal). National Children’s Commissioner, Anne Hollonds, has called for smacking to be made illegal as data shows children who have seen and experienced physical abuse are more than nine times more likely to use violence in the home.

Everyone has a different take on smacking, some say that a smack is just a tap on the bottom and not actually considered violent, while others believe any form of physical punishment is wrong and should be made illegal.

OQ_ikBo3dLviNpcVlWBUng9jzNWUcl0VqoWHruzMeNYDc2__sv0ZR1wG1AiEheyOHzjjVS4vA0AefmrUK73zzve8_VO-EkSLV-fIQmQNgbVKCCgg2DZOiQjyWsv2djIm4AsC-N0cS66jnbsrjdHtAjaUzEEzlvbXoQKHmWLLJqlHFFuKf9ggyJO3fg

Karl and Ally ask the big question: Should smacking be made illegal? Image source: Today.

This week, the hosts of Channel 9’s Today Show decided to share their own thoughts and experiences on the matter.

Ally Langdon kicked things off by revealing that she was smacked as a child, but not very often. She also said it wasn’t her father who did most of the smacking – that job usually fell to her mother. However, she admitted that even the threat of her dad getting involved was enough to make her behave herself!

Alex Cullen and Karl Stefanovic both chimed in next, saying they were also smacked as kids. But while Karl said he would tap his own children if they were doing something dangerous (like running towards a busy road), Alex claimed he couldn’t imagine ever hitting his kids – no matter what they did.

All three hosts agreed that bending your child over your lap and giving them a hard smack would definitely be going too far. Ally also pointed out that when it comes to legislation surrounding smacking, there are so many different interpretations of what actually constitutes ‘smacking’ – making it difficult to implement any official laws around it without causing more confusion than necessary.

Naturally, the three hosts wanted to know what their viewers thought of smacking being made illegal, so they made a ‘poll’ on social media, and the outcome was surprising to all three of them. It turns out, ‘just 15 per cent of Australians agreed smacking should be made illegal, while 85 per cent disagreed.’

So, what do you think, members? Do you think smacking is okay and should remain legal? Or do you think it is wrong and should be a crime? Or, are you of the opinion that it’s far too complicated to define ‘smacking’ and the law shouldn’t be getting involved in disciplining a child? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comment section below!

I was smacked as a child as was my husband. His Mum was dead eye dick at throwing things as well, my Mum had her own cane that she wielded with precision at my legs. Neither of us grew up to be violent parents, I would smack if the misdemeanor warranted it but hubby would punish with words. When the kids got to be grownups they admitted they preferred my discipline as it was short, sharp and then over with, Dad's on the other hand would drag on for ages as he waxed lyrically (and sarcastically) about their errors, past present and future.:)

I'm one that believes smacking is wrong.
If your son hits his brother and you then smack him for hitting his brother what is that telling him.....that hitting is OK .

To me any form of smacking / hitting is teaching violence.

What hurt my kids more was punishments like taking away their favourite toy or sending them to their room.

If my boys argued I would make them stand there and hug each other for 5 minutes and sing we are the very best brothers

If my kids were playing outside and one was naughty I made the naughty one sit for 10 minutes and watch their siblings play.

I had little punishments like these.

I also had a chart that I would give coloured dots to each child at the end of the day.
Dots for doing really good things
Dots for helping with chores
Then when Saturday morning came I would add up the Dots and exchange for money.
Black Dots 20c ect . Then we would go to the shops and they could spend it , most saved their money after shopping we went to the park.

With 13 kids we managed without smacking and I only had one naughty one.

I was belted as a child. My grandmother took her frustration out on me and with a razor strap and unfortunately some parents can't stop at just one smack.
I knew from a young age that I would find other kinds of punishments.
No matter how hard or soft a smack is it's still a smack and this can be the start of teaching a child violence

Reactions: Ricci

All animals discipline their young with a smack or nip etc. Humans are no different. But the problem is that humans often go overboard. I have no problem with a light tap on the bottom if a child is being naughty.

I personally am nor averse to the firm hand of knowledge being placed upon the seat of learning. To legislate to prevent this for me would be a bridge to far! If this were to happen would this mean that parents would be paid to raise their children but only in the way the government required also would the Government provide clothing, text books etc?
Heading towards the Nanny state rapidly. Governments really need to butt out they have enough trouble running the country without trying to run our households

Perhaps this needs to be looked at in another way. Why not give young people, and new parents some training in child rearing? Not telling them 'Don't smack' but give some knowledge on how to handle a situation. Some guidance with a willfully naughty child, and some gentle ways for minor misdemeanors.

Perhaps this needs to be looked at in another way. Why not give young people, and new parents some training in child rearing? Not telling them 'Don't smack' but give some knowledge on how to handle a situation. Some guidance with a willfully naughty child, and some gentle ways for minor misdemeanors.
A nice idea but who is going to do the teaching? We don't have enough teachers or nurses to go around as it is and who would pay for the lessons? There is not enough money in the coffers for the Government to pay and with all the costs associated with a new bub not many parents wouldn't be able to afford it.:(

I was smacked as a child by my mother. All my father had to do was give me “the look” and I did as I was told. I DON’T have any issues or bad childhood memories on being smacked/strapped both at home or at school. I learnt respect, discipline and right from wrong as a child, which has taken me through to adulthood and NO issues.

I think it’s ok to smack but not so hard but a small smake
on the backside reminds them they have gone far enough

It’s not a crime, if my child did something wrong or dangerous I would smack them and the same with my grandkids. A tap on the bottom never hurt my kids and it made them take notice

• Love
Reactions: Tipsy

Spare the rod and spoil the child.... without smacking/spankings you DO end up with an ill mannered spoilt little brat or bitch.... HOWEVER !!! Belting/bashing the crap out of child for a mistake or misbehaving is one hell of a NONO... its what I had to put up with from my stepfather... being eldest even one of the 2 younger siblings screwed up I got punished.... it was great going Highschool in shorts by the way all year round in New Zealand with bruises from the Stirrup leather of the saddle from my ankles to mu upper back, no wonder I have ended up PTSD and on medication for it.... never understood why had a big chip on my shoulder when I started work @ 15 and thru out life I had trouble in relationships at least there was no physical violence in any of those.... alcohol abuse was another but that is now gone.... and so far I am still breathing

I think smacking is ok & should remain legal . A small smack at an early age teaches children the difference between right and wrong. Maybe the child crime epidemic across Oz would not be as bad if smacking children was still allowed.

Reactions: Ezzy
People have stated to me on several occasions that parents today tend to be more of a friend to their children than a parent. In at least one family l have seen the results of this first hand. A father who had separated from his wife, made a b.b. gun for his teenage son who used this to shoot gravel at a neighbour requiring a visit by the police. On another occasion when the neighbour went to complain about the teenager he was invited in to say something to the lad himself. When he did the lad & his mate ran to another room while the mother stood & laughed instead of speaking up. His father acted as though he were 'a law unto himself' so it is little wonder this happened. Complaining to his father once the reply about his 12 y.o. son was, 'they're only kids'. Do some parents not want to take responsibility for their children's actions? 'Children learn what they are taught', so l read year ago.

I have already shared on this forum what this excessive behaviour by my parents did to me & won't reiterate.

I believe parents should be allowed to use punishment as stated in the article. Govt authorities could possibly stipulate how this should be applied, no sticks or straps. Also where & a maximum # of taps! My parents didn't stop at at one, two or three. Perhaps another case for authorities to, 'put up or shut up'?