'To repair or not to repair?’: Shopper’s heart shatters after receiving Kmart package

The thrill of snagging a bargain can be one of life's simple pleasures, especially for those of us who've learned the value of a dollar over the years.

But what happens when that bargain turns into a disappointment before it even reaches your display cabinet?

This was the unfortunate reality for a Kmart shopper whose excitement quickly turned sour.

The shopper was delighted to find a Wave Decor Bowl for $5.

However, the joy was short-lived when the item arrived in a state far from what one would expect, even from a budget retailer like Kmart.

Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 9.39.06 AM.png
A Kmart shopper was about to get her heart shattered with her Wave Decor Bowl. Credit: Kmart

The bowl, marked as 'fragile', was delivered in pieces, a sight that left the customer both shocked and frustrated.

The shopper took to social media to share her experience, posting two photos of the shattered bowl with the 'fragile' tape still attached, a cruel irony not lost on social media users.

'When your “fragile” package from Kmart finally arrives…but like this. To repair or not to repair? I was lucky enough to score this at a bargain $5, so probably not worth the effort to return,' she lamented in her post.

The incident sparked a conversation among the community, many echoing similar experiences of receiving damaged goods from Kmart.

'They're useless,' one person commented. ‘I had four orders from them this year for various things, and three out of four parcels were smashed up inside.’

Another shopper expressed their dismay at Kmart's packing practices.

‘Kmart needs to learn how to pack properly. I have had so many deliveries arrive broken, paint tins placed in a box 10 times the size of paint tin with no wrapping—the paint exploded en route. Kmart needs to get its act together. I now only buy things online that cannot break,’ they said.

‘Mine arrived with the box half opened and all but one item missing because their tape doesn’t stick. They’re going to “report my feedback”,’ a third lamented.

‘I had a similar situation with pot plants just in a large box with other items and not enough packing around them,’ another shared.

‘Then the courier had not paid attention to “this way up” and dropped the box as well I think. The box was delivered open! I just took photos and emailed and they refunded my money straight away. I got to keep the broken pots, and I just bought more.’

compressed-Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 9.38.36 AM.jpeg
This is what the shopper’s Kmart package looked like upon receiving it. Credit: Facebook

Yet, amidst the chorus of complaints, a glimmer of creativity shone through.

One member suggested the ancient Japanese art of Kintsugi as a solution—a method where broken ceramics are mended with gold glue, transforming the damage into an intentional and beautiful part of the object's history.

'See if you can find glue that is gold in colour, maybe [at a] hardware store,' they advised.

'Then glue it back together. I've done this before with a white bowl, and it looks pretty cool and unique.'

This creative approach to a disappointing situation is a testament to the resilience and ingenuity that often come with age.

Instead of seeing a broken bowl, one can see an opportunity for a new, one-of-a-kind piece of art.

However, the broader issue remains.

In response to the outcry, a Kmart spokesperson stated, 'Customer satisfaction is at the heart of everything we do.'

‘We have shared this example with our online team, who will continue to review alongside our stores and delivery partners.’

'We encourage any customer who experiences an issue to reach out to our customer service team directly so that we can resolve,' the spokesperson added.

When it comes to online shopping, many have experienced the anticipation of waiting for a package to arrive.

But what happens when that package, especially one worth thousands of dollars, arrives empty?

This is the nightmare scenario that a Perth resident and experienced secondhand seller faced. You can read more about what happened here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Kmart shopper received a Wave Decor Bowl ($5) in a terribly damaged condition despite clear 'fragile' packaging.
  • Social media users suggested a creative solution involving Kintsugi, a Japanese art technique, to repair the broken bowl.
  • Other customers shared their own negative experiences with Kmart's delivery service, citing numerous instances of poorly packaged goods arriving damaged.
  • A Kmart spokesperson stated customer satisfaction is crucial, encouraged feedback to their customer service team, and said the issue would be reviewed with their online and delivery teams.
Have you had a similar experience with online shopping? Did you find a creative way to turn a broken item into something special? Or did you choose to seek a refund? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Littleboy8
Sponsored
Perhaps buy a couple of towels at the same time which are always needed and maybe the fragile item will be wrapprd around them

Don't agree. I buy a lot of things online and have had no mishaps. Seems an odd comment to make. It wasn't the products so much as the courier delivery.
Maybe you employ a stork to undertake your deliveries. The courier service is PART of the online purchase, whether implicitly or explicitly implied.

Reactions: DLHM and Littleboy8
I like the idea of using coloured or gold glue to mend the pieces together. The only place I had breakage from was Bunnings Marketplace…..a set of serving dishes I wanted for Christmas. The first delivery was left at my door and it was obvious that the purchase was broken…I took photos and emailed them through to Bunnings Marketplace and they wrote that they would send a replacement……the same thing happened 3 more times…..they were all very badly packed. I emailed them about the packaging and said that this would be my final replacement and I wanted a refund next time…..my package arrived in perfect condition, direct from the delivery man, all perfectly padded inside….. I didn’t really mind all of palaver because the replacements all came within days, and I was curious to know how long they would continue with the replacements as well….

Reactions: Aussie