Tired of spending too much money on groceries? Woolworths shopper reveals the little-known hack to save big

Are you always trying to find ways to save money on groceries? Us too.

We know how difficult it is to keep up with the rising costs of essential items these days, which is why we think it’s important to look for budget-friendly alternatives or ways to stretch our budget wherever we can.

Luckily, one Woolworths shopper has shared a ‘little-known’ hack that could save you big bucks on your next trip to the supermarket.

With prices increasing, more and more Australians are turning to affordable (albeit more time-consuming) alternatives, such as meal prepping, bulk-buying and trips to various supermarkets in search of the best deals.

But one Woolworths customer spoke up about a hack to save up when buying fresh fruit, meat, cheese, and even hot BBQ chicken at the supermarket.

Sharing the hack to a popular Facebook group, the shopper explained that checking the weight of pre-packaged items can score you a serious bargain. They reasoned that pre-packaged foods sometimes weigh significantly more than the advertised weight but come with cheaper price tags.

‘It pays to check the weight of pre-packaged items,’ they wrote in their post.

grocery1.jpg
The shopper claimed that weighing items was the secret to scoring big deals at the grocery. Credit: Viktoria Slowikowska/Pexels

The shopper said that this discovery came after they purchased a 400g pack of Cotton Candy grapes, which retails for $6.90 at Woolworths. They also explained that when they weighed the pre-packaged item, they were surprised to discover that it weighed almost 700g.

‘Cotton Candy grapes, $6.90 for a 400g pack at Woolies. I picked up a couple of packs to check the quality of the grapes and noticed a difference in the weight. Grabbed a heavier pack and scored!’ The shopper exclaimed.

Another social media user took the Woolies shopper's advice and said she found a 680g pack of the 400g Cotton Candy grapes at her local store.

According to other shoppers, this is a common tactic used with pre-packaged items, such as meat and BBQ chooks, in a bid to find the heaviest one at the cheapest price.

grocery2.jpg
The Woolies shopper uploaded this photo along with their post as evidence. Credit: Facebook

‘I do this with the meats that are 400g each. It’s great because I get the heaviest one I can find,’ one shared.

A second revealed: ‘I do this too with hot roast chickens – and I get a bargain every time.’

‘I do the same sometimes, I even use their scales to check. And did it today with markdown roast chook from Coles, I got the heaviest one,’ one more replied.

One Facebook user said they found a bag of ‘Odd Bunch’ lemons recently and saw that they were almost twice the stated weight. ‘What a score for $3!’ They added.

While another shared that they do this with pre-packaged produce as well. ‘Like cooked chickens and cakes,’ they continued.

One former food industry worker stated that this ‘hack’ was also a good trick for scoring cheese.

‘I used to work at a cheese factory. Sometimes our 200g brie and camembert cheeses were 120g over in weight, so weighing products is always a good idea. I use the fruit scales while in store when I buy soft cheese,’ they revealed.

Someone else commented that the hack was a ‘great way to save’ on groceries as a whole, while others questioned whether the packaging contributed to the excessive weight. The Woolies shopper debunked this by weighing the packaging on its own and showed that it weighed 33g when empty. Therefore, it’s unlikely to contribute significant weight to the product.

Another great way to save is to look out for unit prices. This is a labelling system that is required by law and helps shoppers understand the value of a product by showing the price of the item per unit of measurement, such as per litre, gram, or kilogram. They’re also calculated to the nearest dollar and cent, which makes it easier to find the best deals while doing your weekly grocery run. To learn more about unit pricing, you can check out this article.
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer revealed a hack to save money on fresh fruit, cheese, hot BBQ chickens, and pre-packaged foods.
  • The hack includes weighing packets of pre-packaged foods, which can often weigh significantly more than the advertised weight.
  • Many supermarket shoppers have succeeded in using this method, with some even using the in-store scales to check the weights.
  • Some customers have found 200g brie and camembert cheeses that were 120g over in weight.
Do you have a money-saving grocery tip that you would like to share? Tell us all about it in the comments below!

Sponsored

We know how difficult it is to keep up with the rising costs of essential items these days, which is why we think it’s important to look for budget-friendly alternatives or ways to stretch our budget wherever we can.

Luckily, one Woolworths shopper has shared a ‘little-known’ hack that could save you big bucks on your next trip to the supermarket.

With prices increasing, more and more Australians are turning to affordable (albeit more time-consuming) alternatives, such as meal prepping, bulk-buying and trips to various supermarkets in search of the best deals.

But one Woolworths customer spoke up about a hack to save up when buying fresh fruit, meat, cheese, and even hot BBQ chicken at the supermarket.

Sharing the hack to a popular Facebook group, the shopper explained that checking the weight of pre-packaged items can score you a serious bargain. They reasoned that pre-packaged foods sometimes weigh significantly more than the advertised weight but come with cheaper price tags.

View attachment 15712
The shopper claimed that weighing items was the secret to scoring big deals at the grocery. Credit: Viktoria Slowikowska/Pexels

The shopper said that this discovery came after they purchased a 400g pack of Cotton Candy grapes, which retails for $6.90 at Woolworths. They also explained that when they weighed the pre-packaged item, they were surprised to discover that it weighed almost 700g.

‘Cotton Candy grapes, $6.90 for a 400g pack at Woolies. I picked up a couple of packs to check the quality of the grapes and noticed a difference in the weight. Grabbed a heavier pack and scored!’ The shopper exclaimed.

Another social media user took the Woolies shopper's advice and said she found a 680g pack of the 400g Cotton Candy grapes at her local store.

According to other shoppers, this is a common tactic used with pre-packaged items, such as meat and BBQ chooks, in a bid to find the heaviest one at the cheapest price.

View attachment 15713
The Woolies shopper uploaded this photo along with their post as evidence. Credit: Facebook

‘I do this with the meats that are 400g each. It’s great because I get the heaviest one I can find,’ one shared.

A second revealed: ‘I do this too with hot roast chickens – and I get a bargain every time.’

‘I do the same sometimes, I even use their scales to check. And did it today with markdown roast chook from Coles, I got the heaviest one,’ one more replied.

One Facebook user said they found a bag of ‘Odd Bunch’ lemons recently and saw that they were almost twice the stated weight. ‘What a score for $3!’ They added.

While another shared that they do this with pre-packaged produce as well. ‘Like cooked chickens and cakes,’ they continued.

One former food industry worker stated that this ‘hack’ was also a good trick for scoring cheese.

‘I used to work at a cheese factory. Sometimes our 200g brie and camembert cheeses were 120g over in weight, so weighing products is always a good idea. I use the fruit scales while in store when I buy soft cheese,’ they revealed.

Someone else commented that the hack was a ‘great way to save’ on groceries as a whole, while others questioned whether the packaging contributed to the excessive weight. The Woolies shopper debunked this by weighing the packaging on its own and showed that it weighed 33g when empty. Therefore, it’s unlikely to contribute significant weight to the product.

Another great way to save is to look out for unit prices. This is a labelling system that is required by law and helps shoppers understand the value of a product by showing the price of the item per unit of measurement, such as per litre, gram, or kilogram. They’re also calculated to the nearest dollar and cent, which makes it easier to find the best deals while doing your weekly grocery run. To learn more about unit pricing, you can check out this article.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer revealed a hack to save money on fresh fruit, cheese, hot BBQ chickens, and pre-packaged foods.
  • The hack includes weighing packets of pre-packaged foods, which can often weigh significantly more than the advertised weight.
  • Many supermarket shoppers have succeeded in using this method, with some even using the in-store scales to check the weights.
  • Some customers have found 200g brie and camembert cheeses that were 120g over in weight.
Do you have a money-saving grocery tip that you would like to share? Tell us all about it in the comments below!
Great tips.

View attachment 15712

View attachment 15713

Key Takeaways

Good tip and common sense - buy what you need and not what you want, in addition to checking prices.

View attachment 15712

View attachment 15713

Key Takeaways

I don’t think I will be running backwards and forwards between the fruit department scales and the hot chickens to find the one that weighs the most. Could you imagine buying a hot chicken that has been going in and out of the hot box all day?

View attachment 15712

View attachment 15713

Key Takeaways

Just because something is marked as "special" don't just grab it off the shelf. Look around and check the unit price of the larger item as on many occasions it is cheaper to buy than the one on special. This is noticeable when confectionary is on sale. We like the Natural Confectionary products and it was cheaper to pay $5 than get a smaller one for $2.50 on special. Much more in the larger bag and worked out cheaper when you checked the unit price....something I always do.

Reactions: Loubeauxarts

View attachment 15712

View attachment 15713

Key Takeaways

I have seen people remove some grapes from their bag,

View attachment 15712

View attachment 15713

Key Takeaways

I have seen customers remove some grapes from a bag, as they didn’t want that much, and then put those removed grapes back into another bag. I’m sure this is what happened to the customer who got much more in her bag than the advertised price of a packet, say of 750 gms. Unfortunately it is no longer customary for check-out staff to weigh pre-packaged fruit like grapes in bags hence her good luck. Only most of the loose vegetables and fruit are weighed these days on those flat weighing machines at the checkout. Have you noticed that those packets of grapes probably have a ‘bar code’ which has already been logged into their computerised system for that day - ‘x’ grams for ‘x’ $s.

Buying ‘late marked down’ fresh/frozen items towards closing time and some other marked down things is the way to go now for good food bargains.

Last edited:

View attachment 15712

View attachment 15713

Key Takeaways

needed avos , most bags had 5 but i picked one that had 9 . love avo .