Tired of Folding Laundry? Try This Clever Tip!

At some point in our lives, finding the energy or willpower to do chores can become quite challenging.

But we believe that with the right mindset and an arsenal of savvy life tips, you can turn these years into a time of joy and efficiency.

One such tip has been passed down for generations, and it's all about—wait for it—folding laundry!

What's laundry got to do with making the most of life, you ask? Don't dash off just yet.

compressed-photo-1630329273801-8f629dba0a72.jpeg
Folding laundry helps maintain a tidy and orderly living space while ensuring that clothing remains wrinkle-free and ready to wear. Image by towfiqu999999 from unsplash

This isn't your typical how-to-fold laundry tutorial. Rather, it's an age-old wisdom from the time when automatic washing machines were still a thing of the future.

Who doesn't dread seeing that mountain of laundry on the lounge, feeling like it's silently judging you as you pass by?

Confession time: we’ve all let that pile go untouched for days, secretly hoping there's a magical solution to fold it all perfectly.

But what if there was a simple, almost effortless way to prevent the laundry mountain from ever forming and, with it, the guilt?

Here's a gem of advice shared by Rachael Gavin of 9Honey, whose Nana tipped her off to the ultimate laundry advice.

'I don't remember her exact words, but she mentioned how much easier it is to do the washing if you fold your clothes straight into the basket. So from the day I moved out of home, I have made it a habit to fold each item of clothing as I take it off the clothesline.' she shared.

Yes, it might add a few extra minutes to the task, but it's all about taking it slow and steady.

Isn't it better to bask in the sunshine, fold a little laundry and prevent the dreaded lounge room pile-up in the process?

Gavin learned the importance of this golden rule the hard way.

Due to unexpected strong winds, she had to remove her laundry from the line in a rush and was left with an unfolded mess that stayed in her lounge room for four days!

We've all walked past that growing pile of guilt-ridden laundry and said, 'I'll fold that later.' Maybe we even hoped our partner or family would fold it for us.

But with this nifty trick, later never comes, and the dreaded task of folding is already done before you step back inside.

compressed-photo-1567113463300-102a7eb3cb26.jpeg
Folding laundry can be a therapeutic task for some, providing a sense of accomplishment as clothes are transformed from a jumbled pile into neatly folded stacks, ready to be put away. Image by sweetpagesco from unsplash

This isn't a fool-proof plan—as with most good intentions, real-life circumstances like unexpected weather or uncooperative bedsheets (we know exactly how unruly they can be!) can throw us off track.

'Now I'm working on putting washing away sooner rather than later. Recently, I've been putting towels away the very next time I walk up the stairs, and I tend to put clothes away before I get ready for bed.’ Gavin added.

Gavin loves efficiency and has taken her passion for organising laundry to another level.

She not only folds clothes carefully but also sorts them on the line based on where they should go in the wardrobe and drawers, although she knows that some people might consider this a bit too much.

Key Takeaways
  • Rachael Gavin shares a useful laundry tip she learnt from her Nana—folding clothes straight off the clothesline before putting them in the laundry basket.
  • This tip can save time and help prevent procrastination, despite it adding a few extra minutes to the task of removing clothes from the clothesline.
  • There are exceptions to using this tip, such as in strong winds or impending rain, where it is more important to get the washing in quickly.
  • Gavin also suggests grouping clothing on the line based on where they are stored in the wardrobe, though she acknowledges this might be a step too far for some.

Let's learn from the wisdom of our elders, adopt their tried and tested tips, and make time for enjoyable activities.

With these small changes, you may find you have extra time to savour the sunset from your back porch. Amid the hustle and bustle of life, simple tasks like folding laundry become meditative rituals.

So, let's celebrate simplicity, enjoy our days, and make life easier in any way we can!

Members, have you ever tried folding clothes straight off the clothesline into your laundry basket? If so, what are your thoughts on its effectiveness in preventing a pile-up of unfolded laundry?

Sponsored
These “tips and tricks” are better aimed at the young rather than seniors, who have mostly got their laundry routine sorted because we learned from our parents and grandparents. Personally, I have never left a pile of clothes in the living room for days waiting to be folded.

At some point in our lives, finding the energy or willpower to do chores can become quite challenging.

But we believe that with the right mindset and an arsenal of savvy life tips, you can turn these years into a time of joy and efficiency.

One such tip has been passed down for generations, and it's all about—wait for it—folding laundry!

What's laundry got to do with making the most of life, you ask? Don't dash off just yet.

View attachment 26053
Folding laundry helps maintain a tidy and orderly living space while ensuring that clothing remains wrinkle-free and ready to wear. Image by towfiqu999999 from unsplash

This isn't your typical how-to-fold laundry tutorial. Rather, it's an age-old wisdom from the time when automatic washing machines were still a thing of the future.

Who doesn't dread seeing that mountain of laundry on the lounge, feeling like it's silently judging you as you pass by?

Confession time: we’ve all let that pile go untouched for days, secretly hoping there's a magical solution to fold it all perfectly.

But what if there was a simple, almost effortless way to prevent the laundry mountain from ever forming and, with it, the guilt?

Here's a gem of advice shared by Rachael Gavin of 9Honey, whose Nana tipped her off to the ultimate laundry advice.

'I don't remember her exact words, but she mentioned how much easier it is to do the washing if you fold your clothes straight into the basket. So from the day I moved out of home, I have made it a habit to fold each item of clothing as I take it off the clothesline.' she shared.

Yes, it might add a few extra minutes to the task, but it's all about taking it slow and steady.

Isn't it better to bask in the sunshine, fold a little laundry and prevent the dreaded lounge room pile-up in the process?

Due to unexpected strong winds, she had to remove her laundry from the line in a rush and was left with an unfolded mess that stayed in her lounge room for four days!

We've all walked past that growing pile of guilt-ridden laundry and said, 'I'll fold that later.' Maybe we even hoped our partner or family would fold it for us.

But with this nifty trick, later never comes, and the dreaded task of folding is already done before you step back inside.

View attachment 26054
Folding laundry can be a therapeutic task for some, providing a sense of accomplishment as clothes are transformed from a jumbled pile into neatly folded stacks, ready to be put away. Image by sweetpagesco from unsplash

This isn't a fool-proof plan—as with most good intentions, real-life circumstances like unexpected weather or uncooperative bedsheets (we know exactly how unruly they can be!) can throw us off track.

'Now I'm working on putting washing away sooner rather than later. Recently, I've been putting towels away the very next time I walk up the stairs, and I tend to put clothes away before I get ready for bed.’ Gavin added.

Gavin loves efficiency and has taken her passion for organising laundry to another level.

She not only folds clothes carefully but also sorts them on the line based on where they should go in the wardrobe and drawers, although she knows that some people might consider this a bit too much.

Key Takeaways

• Rachael Gavin shares a useful laundry tip she learnt from her Nana—folding clothes straight off the clothesline before putting them in the laundry basket.
  • This tip can save time and help prevent procrastination, despite it adding a few extra minutes to the task of removing clothes from the clothesline.
  • There are exceptions to using this tip, such as in strong winds or impending rain, where it is more important to get the washing in quickly.
  • Gavin also suggests grouping clothing on the line based on where they are stored in the wardrobe, though she acknowledges this might be a step too far for some.

Let's learn from the wisdom of our elders, adopt their tried and tested tips, and make time for enjoyable activities.

With these small changes, you may find you have extra time to savour the sunset from your back porch. Amid the hustle and bustle of life, simple tasks like folding laundry become meditative rituals.

So, let's celebrate simplicity, enjoy our days, and make life easier in any way we can!

Members, have you ever tried folding clothes straight off the clothesline into your laundry basket? If so, what are your thoughts on its effectiveness in preventing a pile-up of unfolded laundry?
In the summer I fold my clothes from clothes line to basket. I find it quicker because the folding is done. Take inside then putting it in piles to be put away. It is nice to spend that extra time to stop and look around you while folding. I find I have steady beaks coming on my fence to see what I'm doing. In winter I use my clothes horses I follow the same routine when folding clothes.

I've done that since I was a kid now 67 on non windy days I hang wet shirts T's etc on coat hangers then when dry they go straight into wardrobe no folding no wrinkles no need to iron. Don't need to hear these "amazing" tips from a bunch of kids thinking its newsworthy why doesn't SDC pay us members to write all the tips and wisdom of our age, grannies secrets instead of the crap they find on the net and republish
lol

My nan always did that and I thought that was the normal thing

I've always done that. I have a rectangle clothes basket and as I take the clothes of the line I fold them straight away.

I go one further, I fold say t shirts first , then shorts, then jumpers, then underwater.
I do this as I then don't need to sort out I take the basket into my sons room and put everything away straight from the basket and keep the ironing in the basket to also iron straight away.
Each person's washing in my house is done separately

My pet hate is clothes baskets lying around over flowing and I have seen this many times at friends houses

Last edited:

View attachment 26053

View attachment 26054

Key Takeaways

Would have thought that was common sense !

View attachment 26053

View attachment 26054

Key Takeaways

That is how we always dealt with laundry. I grew up doing that. And when I eventualky had a dryer, I did the same thing. Fold it as you take it out of the dryer.

In "the good old days" there were no man made fibres. It was all cotton and linen and we all know how they crease so of course you didn't leave a pile of laundry lying around. We folded it immediately and ironed it immediately.

Gosh, I remember when they invented nylon. We all thought it was wonderful! If only we'd known better.

Here's another tip. And it's an important one. If and when anyone in the house gets head lice, flu or any contagious disease, deficate towels, bed linen etc to them and always wash them in the hottest water possible. And then IRON every item they are using. Ironing kills any germs lingering in the fabric. It is particularly important for head lice and if saliva has been dribbled onto a pillowcase.

Reactions: Gsr and Granny*Deb
Have always folded my laundry as I take it from the line, and put away as I fold each individual person’s fresh clothing. I for one have never had a pile of laundry on my lounge…untidy, just not me!!
I also iron on the same day

I've always done that. I have a rectangle clothes basket and as I take the clothes of the line I fold them straight away.

I go one further, I fold say t shirts first , then shorts, then jumpers, then underwater.
I do this as I then don't need to sort out I take the basket into my sons room and put everything away straight from the basket and keep the ironing in the basket to also iron straight away.

My pet hate is clothes baskets lying around over flowing and I have seen this many times at friends houses
Had a little giggle at your typo Suzanne Rose, "underwater", must be most difficult having to come up for air all the time. LOL🌞

View attachment 26053

View attachment 26054

Key Takeaways

Doesn’t everyone do that? Der!

Clearly, ALL of us do notknow the guilty feeling of walking past a heap of jumbled ironing!

I grew up folding laundry straight off the clothes line - everything was folded. The stuff that could be put away immediately was put away immediately; and the items that needed ironing were ironed the same day and it was far easier after the item was neatly folded off the line, and on the same day.

Shirts are the only exception, but they get a good shake when they come out of the washing machine, then they are hung on hangers and then go on the line. A lot of shirts don't require ironing when hung and dried this way, and my hubby certainly preferred the fresher feel of the line dried, unironed shirts to those that got ironed.

I also always do this.
There are 3 of us and I hang the clothes for each person on a separate section of the line,.no need for sorting later
Also hang tshirts on hangers, no need for ironing
For those of you who say we don't need to hear these things, it pays to remember that just because you know something, that appears like common sense doesn't mean that everybody does.
I knew someone whose mother died when she was very young and she was brought up by her father, you would be amazed at the things she had no clue about.
Also those who complain about rehashing, new members are joining all the time. If you've read it before, just move on

View attachment 26053

View attachment 26054

Key Takeaways

I’m 62 and have done this since I used to help my Mum with the laundry as a child. I have never been able to understand how people get those huge piles of folding because folding from the line is just habitual for me. Another great plus is that it slso cuts down on ironing. If you hang your clothes carefully and fold from the line you will be amazed at the lack of crumpled t-shirts requiring an iron before you can wear them.

My mum never did this but I always have. Probably because out of 7 kids my saturdays was spent helping to bring washing in and folding the washing for mum. It is so much easier to fold as you go, I do not iron clothes at all these days...I fine the clothes don't need it.

I’ve always done it this way. Plus I hang the washing in order, ie all the undies, all the tee shirts, all the pants together as is so much easier for folding and putting away. My laundry never ever goes into the lounge room, I can’t stand seeing it piled up on the furniture. I wash, fold and put away straight away. Towels are usually washed, dried and back the bathroom the same day instead of using different ones from the linen cupboard, saves double handling. I know maybe some people are too busy to do it this way but I pick my laundry days so I can get it all done in one hit