TrishaC

Staff member
May 30, 2022
Tired grandparents rejoice! TikTok mum shares' game-changing' tip to get kids to sleep in under five minutes

Tired grandparents rejoice! TikTok mum shares' game-changing' tip to get kids to sleep in under five minutes
Kids are cute, and spending quality time with (and spoiling!) our grandkids is one of the great joys of being a grandparent. But lets face it, sometimes, kids can also be a handful - particularly getting them to sleep at a decent hour. You tuck them in bed, read them a bedtime story, and kiss them goodnight, but for some reason, it doesn’t work. They’re wide awake, staring at you, and you’re staring back at them, not knowing what to do.

If you're struggling to get your grandkids to sleep, don't worry, you're not alone. But there's one TikTok mum who seems to have found the secret to getting kids to sleep in under five minutes!

Brittany Vasseur, a
TikTok mum, shared a helpful video of her method with the caption: 'OMG, this is game-changing!'.

'One of the best mum tips I've ever come across, genuinely life-changing,' Brittany says in the video.

'To make your child fall asleep faster, this is the process and what you need to do. I can't believe it worked as well as it did.'

Brittany demonstrates how we can (metaphorically, just so we’re clear) knock our grandkids out peacefully. This tip worked for settling her own little boy, she claims.

'The first thing you need to do is that you tell them, You don't need to go to sleep, just lay down with your eyes closed. So take the pressure off,’ she says.

'Then you need to take a book, any book, and read it to them like this.'

The mum reads the book in soft, soothing tones, her voice barely audible, just slightly louder than a whisper. The calming tone of voice should have your grandkids ‘off with the fairies’ in no time.

'So you sound ridiculous, but basically, you read it to them in a very slow, soft, soothing voice and it kind of sends them into a hypnotic state'.

According to the mum, her young son, Carter, 'had a terrible time going to sleep'. But once she tried this technique she discovered online, her little Carter is usually knocked out in just 5 minutes!

Dqs_Q7DXmQ2I__qluUhWq3rVNJNZboBfdkNVrCdak-RWHtv0NL8lMrrHeIyly-5r_MV2_A1Cja-Pp7rNJ3V2jXtQpQqxpdpoMSqwVi4TYmZO1nZqR4Ln1ZNWiauUZfDhY4GJSwuy2U7eVrFBHw

Source: Pixabay

TikTok users praised Britanny for her brilliant and simple approach to getting young kids to sleep in a timely fashion.

'Tried this tonight, at first my daughter laughed at my voice but it worked', one wrote.

'This actually worked the second time with my daughter. Both times she fought to stay awake till the end but after she rolled over and knocked out!!' another mum said.

Some mums shared that they were almost knocked out by the method, too!

One said, 'I almost fell asleep myself lol.'

Another mum said, 'Woman, you were putting me to sleep! Lol.. 36 weeks pregnant. I will definitely try this when the baby grows.’.

While this TikTok tip may not work for every child, it's definitely worth a try if you're struggling to get your grandkids to sleep through the night. And who knows, you might even find yourself falling asleep while trying it out!

So there you have it, grandparents! Have you experienced having trouble putting your grandkids to sleep before? Do you think you’d try this out? Better yet, do you have any other tips to recommend? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried this with my first child, all those years ago.
It did not work for her, she just had to be awake.
She only slept for 2 hours of broken sleep out of 24 for the first 2 years of her life....she was just too busy to sleep.
She could talk clearly at 9 months, write her name and read at 2, then her writing progressed after that.
Second child.....it worked....for 5 hours ....from very early babyhood, he only slept for 5 hours out of 24.
Both children are in Mensa.

Thanks for making us feel like our kids are dumb if they sleep well!
Not at all.....that was not my intention, I do apologise for giving that impression.
Kids who sleep well from the word go are also intelligent little beings.....I'm sure not sleeping much is not a sign of a high IQ.
I guess I was just saying I survived those sleepless hours, at a cost, so having a clue to get them to sleep would be a blessing.

Reactions: terri and Ricci
Not at all.....that was not my intention, I do apologise for giving that impression.
Kids who sleep well from the word go are also intelligent little beings.....I'm sure not sleeping much is not a sign of a high IQ.
I guess I was just saying I survived those sleepless hours, at a cost, so having a clue to get them to sleep would be a blessing.
It’s ok, it was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment! I guess the point is to not feel “less than adequate” if they don’t sleep. They are all individuals and will settle into a sleep pattern that suits them no matter what we do 😀 it’s never simple is it? All the best xx

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
It’s ok, it was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment! I guess the point is to not feel “less than adequate” if they don’t sleep. They are all individuals and will settle into a sleep pattern that suits them no matter what we do 😀 it’s never simple is it? All the best xx
Many thanks for your kind words.....

Reactions: Ricci
This reminds me of that movie (1970s or '80s) with Tom Selleck about three bachelors who find a baby left on their doorstep. Tom Selleck didn't have any appropriate books to read to the baby, so he read an article from the newspaper about a boxing match, but read it in a soft soothing voice and the baby went off to sleep!

Reactions: Ricci and JayKay
This reminds me of that movie (1970s or '80s) with Tom Selleck about three bachelors who find a baby left on their doorstep. Tom Selleck didn't have any appropriate books to read to the baby, so he read an article from the newspaper about a boxing match, but read it in a soft soothing voice and the baby went off to sleep!
Three Men & a Baby.....1987.
Good point!

Sounds good I will try this at the moment I have a7year old that when prayer are said & book read keeps reappearing like Hamlets ghost, keep watch for further news as to how it woks!!!!!