Tinned beetroot prices soar to $65 as shortage persists

In a display of market opportunism, tinned beetroot has been fetching exorbitant prices on the online marketplace eBay, with listings soaring to $65 for a single can.

The sudden surge in prices comes amid supply shortages in Australia, a dilemma that has left many beetroot lovers and burger enthusiasts in a pickle.

Why are cans of this humble root vegetable being sold for so much?

The beetroot, a common fixture in burgers and salads, faced a significant supply disruption following devastating weather events.

When Cyclone Gabrielle tore through New Zealand’s Hawkes Bay in February last year, it not only wreaked havoc on the land but also wiped out the manufacturer Golden Circle cannery.

nick-collins-udo5pIvRfrA-unsplash.jpg
Prices of tinned beetroot have soared high on online marketplaces like eBay. Credit: Unsplash

The cannery has operated in the area since its relocation from Brisbane in 2011 after being bought out by Kraft Heinz.

For over six months, this shortage has persisted, sending waves through Australia's retail and online marketplaces.

The situation has been dubbed the ‘great beetroot shortage’ and even a ‘national emergency’ by some, with shoppers asking when their favourite product will return.

As supermarket shelves lay bare with labels apologising for the absence of this beloved root vegetable, opportunistic eBay sellers have been trying to cash in on the deficit.

Some encountered a standard 425g tins of Edgell's sliced beetroot for $65.78 and 450g cans of Golden Circle beetroot for $37.88.

Traditional retail prices at giants like Woolworths and Coles hover between $2.80 to $5.90 per tin, but maintaining stock has been difficult for the supermarket giants amid the shortage.

A Woolworths spokesperson said that customers ‘may notice varying supply levels’ across its stores.

‘We're in close contact with our suppliers, and we're working on contingency plans to minimise any potential disruption to our customers,’ they said.

‘We encourage customers to be flexible if the products they would usually purchase are not available.’

Coles also confirmed the recent weather events impacted canned beetroot supplies.

‘We know how much our customers enjoy this product and expect to see more stock on shelves over the coming months,’ a Coles spokesperson said.

‘The good news is that our supply of fresh beetroot has not been affected, with plenty available across our stores and online.’

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 9.23.57 AM.png
Edgell Sliced Beetroot was listed for over $65 on eBay. Credit: eBay

Australia's peak industry body, AusVeg, stated that the shortage emphasised the importance of ensuring the country had ‘sufficient food manufacturing and processing capability to meet domestic need’.

‘As a net importer of tinned or processed vegetable products, Australia is often at the mercy of international supply chain factors when it comes to [the] supply of some product lines,’ an AusVeg spokesperson said.

‘When it comes to [the] domestic supply of fresh vegetable produce in Australia, a strength we have here is our national vegetable supply chain and an ability to produce most commodities year-round.’

‘That means any short-term reductions in supply from individual regions in Australia due to weather events or other factors are, in many cases, able to be filled by production from other regions,’ they added.
Key Takeaways
  • eBay sellers have listed tinned beetroot at exorbitant prices due to a supply shortage in Australia.
  • The shortage has been ongoing for over six months following a cyclone that damaged a key cannery in New Zealand.
  • Woolworths and Coles supermarkets are experiencing difficulties maintaining stock, prompting them to ask customers to be flexible.
  • The shortage highlights the importance of domestic food manufacturing and processing capabilities in Australia.
What's your take on this tinned beetroot saga? Have you noticed shortages in other pantry items you typically enjoy? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Like other Fruit and Veggies, Beetroot is so easy to grow at Home the pickling is easy also and cheap also Skippys Fruit and Veg in Qld is tsking on the Supermarkets offering cheap Fruit and Veg and wanting to expand across the Country

Reactions: GillyH
I have noticed canned beetroot has increased in price. But that ebay price sounds ridiculous...
🤔

Reactions: PattiB
Go without! You are not going to suffer medically or health-wise! Our Aussie farmers will sell their crop to another enterprising canner or someone here will take up the challenge and market the product under a new name. Kraft, after all, is not the be all and end all of canners. They source their products for canning from everywhere, they don’t grow it themselves - they just can it. It’s no big deal. One needs to feel for the employees who have lost their jobs. Kraft will survive as they have for so many years.

Reactions: Littleboy8
$65 a can I do not believe this story...what moron would pay that?.Personally I would rather buy a lobster instead (for less than that) and would enjoy that more than eating a can of beetroot. this is obviously a made up story...

I just think it sad that Golden Circle like many other companies are now owned by USA giant Kraft Heinz. Grow your own beets!

I must be very rich. I have a tin of Edgell beetroot in the cupboard. It is only used when we make hamburgers (home made patties).

Buy a share in the Lockyer Valley Food Co-operative. They have been trying to raise funds to get an Australian owned beetroot canning factory up and running for many years.

$65 a can I do not believe this story...what moron would pay that?.Personally I would rather buy a lobster instead (for less than that) and would enjoy that more than eating a can of beetroot. this is obviously a made up story...
Probably is wouldn’t be surprised.😊never been a beetroot shortage in frankston supermarkets.😊

Go without! You are not going to suffer medically or health-wise! Our Aussie farmers will sell their crop to another enterprising canner or someone here will take up the challenge and market the product under a new name. Kraft, after all, is not the be all and end all of canners. They source their products for canning from everywhere, they don’t grow it themselves - they just can it. It’s no big deal. One needs to feel for the employees who have lost their jobs. Kraft will survive as they have for so many years.
The cannery moved to NZ so they could use Chinese food products selling as NZ. It was all a big con by Heinz, Arnotts and others...

People attempting to sell beetroot on eBay for that price should be prosecuted as far as I'm concerned. That is just criminal. And if there is anyone out there prepared to pay that, then they are idiots. I buy fresh and pickle it myself. It tastes so much better than the tinned stuff. It's not rocket science to boil, peel, slice and pickle.

If you are really desperate, Aldi has tinned beetroot but it is product of China (Chaina in Trumpspeak).