Time For A Hobby - Clocks

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by member Alan G.

As we get older and settle into retirement, everybody seems to tell us we need to ‘stay active’ – physically and mentally, and they’re probably right. Apart from the usual 30-minute-a-day walk around the block, one way to keep one’s brain active (and hopefully fend off Alzheimer’s) is to take up or enhance an existing hobby. One of the several hobbies to which I decided to devote more time was clocks.

I can’t really remember when I first became interested in clocks. Perhaps it was a general interest in all things mechanical, stemming from my affinity for Meccano models when I was about 11 years old. I remember that I was sick at the time. We were living in a place called Bradfield Park near Lindfield, as ‘10-pound-poms’. I gave myself the challenge of building a clock out of Meccano and actually succeeded! It didn’t run for very long, ticked unevenly and had to be driven by a huge weight, which I’d made out of a red Meccano cylinder filled with a lot of gears from my ‘gear set’. The clock ran mainly on a gearing made of pulleys, so it would never be really accurate.

Although I don’t really remember it, my younger brother told me the whole place woke up during the night when the weight came crashing to the floor of our hut.

Alan G Clocks 1 (1).jpeg
Meccano and Me, 1955. Image Credit: Alan G.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Thanks for much for writing this article as it brings back memories from my father. He collected American, English, Grandfather, and all types of antique clocks and repaired them all so they worked. He had hundreds when he passed away. My mother didn't want to keep them all, so my mother, brother and I chose our favourite clocks to keep. Then, we enlisted an antique dealer to auction them for us.
I'm very impressed with your talent too!

Very interesting, wonderful reading your pursuits. Mentioned to my husband and he was at Bradfield Park also and went to Bradfield Park school. He was 7 in 1955, wonder if you two ever met. His first name is David

Reactions: Macarj
A very interesting read, I thoroughly enjoyed it Alan G. Repairing clocks requires a great skill and temperament which you certainly seem to have in spades. Best of luck with designing and building your own wall clock. Will look forward to seeing photos of it upon its completion.

Heari
Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by member Alan G.

As we get older and settle into retirement, everybody seems to tell us we need to ‘stay active’ – physically and mentally, and they’re probably right. Apart from the usual 30-minute-a-day walk around the block, one way to keep one’s brain active (and hopefully fend off Alzheimer’s) is to take up or enhance an existing hobby. One of the several hobbies to which I decided to devote more time was clocks.

I can’t really remember when I first became interested in clocks. Perhaps it was a general interest in all things mechanical, stemming from my affinity for Meccano models when I was about 11 years old. I remember that I was sick at the time. We were living in a place called Bradfield Park near Lindfield, as ‘10-pound-poms’. I gave myself the challenge of building a clock out of Meccano and actually succeeded! It didn’t run for very long, ticked unevenly and had to be driven by a huge weight, which I’d made out of a red Meccano cylinder filled with a lot of gears from my ‘gear set’. The clock ran mainly on a gearing made of pulleys, so it would never be really accurate.

Although I don’t really remember it, my younger brother told me the whole place woke up during the night when the weight came crashing to the floor of our hut.

View attachment 33592
Meccano and Me, 1955. Image Credit: Alan G.

Last edited:
Great read and I'm sure that would keep your mind active I like clocks and I have a few clocks and watches but don't fix or clean them myself my latest one is a brass mantle clock not working got it for $2 is been taken apart and cleaned for $220 still a good buy have looked on line seems to be a German clock and in working order they seem to go for $1000 not that I will sell it I am so happy

Reactions: magpie1