Three energy retailers face possible action over alleged Centrepay misuse

Managing household expenses is a critical part of life, especially for those enjoying their golden years.

Energy bills, in particular, can be a significant portion of our monthly outgoings, and it's essential to have trust in the systems designed to help manage these costs.

However, recent developments have cast a shadow over the integrity of some energy retailers and their use of the Centrepay system, which could have affected thousands of Australians.

In a shocking revelation, the Australian Energy Regulator (AER) is considering taking action against three major energy retailers for their alleged misuse of the Centrepay system.

This comes after a landmark court win against AGL, one of the country's largest energy providers.

shutterstock_2300577241.jpg
AER is considering taking action against three energy retailers due to alleged misuse of the Centrepay system. Credit: Shutterstock

AGL was found to have wrongfully taken welfare money from almost 500 customers through Centrepay, even years after they had ceased being AGL customers.

The federal court ruled that AGL's actions resulted in thousands of contraventions of the national energy retail rules, including overcharging customers and failing to refund the money.

The court also found that AGL had not implemented adequate policies to ensure compliance with these rules.

But AGL isn't the only company under scrutiny. Origin Energy and Queensland-based Ergon Energy have also been accused of similar practices.

In Origin's case, it's alleged that around $2.5 million was wrongly taken from almost 3,000 former customers.

With a range of enforcement options at its disposal, including fines, enforceable undertakings, or civil court action, the AER could compel these energy companies to make amends.

This could involve payments to victims or contributions to community organisations.

Origin and Ergon both remained silent on ongoing or future legal matters.

However, AGL's next move on whether to appeal the ruling is still uncertain.

The federal court determined that AGL's lack of notification to overcharged customers led to 3,531 breaches of national energy retail rules, along with an additional 12,625 violations due to the failure to issue refunds.

The court also ruled that AGL violated retail law by not having adequate policies, systems, and procedures in place to ensure compliance with energy retail regulations.
Key Takeaways
  • The Australian Energy Regulator (AER) is considering taking action against three energy retailers for alleged misuse of the Centrepay system after a court victory against AGL.
  • A Guardian Australia investigation has revealed that Origin and Ergon Energy are also alleged to have wrongfully deducted funds from the welfare payments of former customers.
  • The AER has a range of enforcement options available, including fines, enforceable undertakings, or civil court action.
  • AGL has been found to have made overcharges and failed to notify affected customers, resulting in thousands of contraventions of the national energy retail rules.
Have you had any experiences with Centrepay or noticed unexpected charges on your energy bills? Share your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
I haven’t used Centerpay, but I’ve had AGL try and charge me for the unpaid power bill of a previous tenant once. The worst part was they knew exactly what they were doing too. Thieving mongrels. They didn’t get the money , but they tried for weeks. I threatened to take them to court in the end, and that’s when they stopped

I haven’t used Centerpay, but I’ve had AGL try and charge me for the unpaid power bill of a previous tenant once. The worst part was they knew exactly what they were doing too. Thieving mongrels. They didn’t get the money , but they tried for weeks. I threatened to take them to court in the end, and that’s when they stopped
AGL... THE BIGGEST CROOKS ON THIS EARTH!!!!

These greedy bastards are the reason why everthing is so expensive. Everytime the CEO wants a pay rise they increase the power prices. Retail outlets pass it onto the customers so we pay their power bill and our own.
Correct....anyone that can answer a similar question for me....I am a simple-minded person.... If the price of electricity is supposed to go down with the introduction of solar and wind power why is it that as we get more of the two do prices go up?

In October 2015, AGL tried the same stunt, for both gas and electricity bills totalling about $1700 for a rental property I vacated. They said I needed cooperation and permission of the new tenants to have the account changed into their name before I could wipe the debt in my name. What hogwash!

The debt was sold to a shady operation called Panthera Finance who are nothing but a bunch of relentless debt collectors. I received fortnightly emails demanding the money for the next six years. I never paid a cent for a service I never benefitted from. After six years, most debts are statute barred which means that the debtor, namely me, has no legal obligation to repay anything after this time has elapsed.

I don't know about centre pay but there is no way I would be with AGL again. They came toy door about 3-4 years ago and got me changed from my provider to them. My electricity bill was double what it normally was and my gas they sent me 2 bills in the same month and tried to get the cash for both of them. Was only with them for a month then changed back to where I had been but fought with them for another 3 Months. Never again and I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy, if I knew who that was

In October 2015, AGL tried the same stunt, for both gas and electricity bills totalling about $1700 for a rental property I vacated. They said I needed cooperation and permission of the new tenants to have the account changed into their name before I could wipe the debt in my name. What hogwash!

The debt was sold to a shady operation called Panthera Finance who are nothing but a bunch of relentless debt collectors. I received fortnightly emails demanding the money for the next six years. I never paid a cent for a service I never benefitted from. After six years, most debts are statute barred which means that the debtor, namely me, has no legal obligation to repay anything after this time has elapsed.
Well done, I did have AGL shares and sold them 3 years ago because of their corruption

I have had gas for over forty years and the prices have always been much lower than elect especially for cooking Now the prices have actually matched electricity for no other reason than. ...... they could! they think were stupid, were not , were victims we cant do much about it, but we DO know what they' re doing,Gas and electricity whilst used for similar uses ARE. two completely different products with different liabilities and problems, with elect having the worst and most expensive problems Gas has always been cheapest for hot water, cooking and heating

Hi "IAN3005"
In answer to your question. Why our power bills are always going up, is because, we have ONE UTTER DILL BILL BRAIN DEAD IDIOT IN CHARGE, the minister for energy, being, Chris BOWEN. He was going to give us all through JIM CHALMERS with the backing of DALBO ALBO, a $275 cut in our power bills. Get rid of all the coal fired power stations & rely on a bit of a breeze to blow his Windmills & some sun to to give us all the energy for our needs.

Unfortunately, everything has backfired on 'em & now we all have to pay more for their utter incompetence & COMPLETE STUPIDITY.

Hi "IAN3005"
In answer to your question. Why our power bills are always going up, is because, we have ONE UTTER DILL BILL BRAIN DEAD IDIOT IN CHARGE, the minister for energy, being, Chris BOWEN. He was going to give us all through JIM CHALMERS with the backing of DALBO ALBO, a $275 cut in our power bills. Get rid of all the coal fired power stations & rely on a bit of a breeze to blow his Windmills & some sun to to give us all the energy for our needs.

Unfortunately, everything has backfired on 'em & now we all have to pay more for their utter incompetence & COMPLETE STUPIDITY.
Absolute stupidity!!! You have to transition before cutting it off!! It appears there have been no Roadmaps or Planning done... meanwhile the companies they outsourced to are rubbing their hands with glee!!! Sold out essential services to foreign companies which belong to the ratepayers, Australian public!!! Christina Kennelly was one of the first many years ago... the list goes on... disgraceful selling out the country!!!

• Haha
Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Hi "IAN3005"

The Coalition allowed the poles & wires to be sold & privatised. Now shareholders have to be paid so that is why the cost is so high. Blame the correct government.