Thousands of viewers were left feeling uncomfortable after Today host Karl Stefanovic took aim at Meghan Markle during the Queen's funeral

As you well know, the world is mourning the death of Queen Elizabeth II, and the press is providing comprehensive coverage of the memorial service and funeral.

Millions of people around the globe were tuned in to watch as the royal family bid farewell to their matriarch.

Some of the most prolific news presenters have been sent to the UK to cover the story, and they are providing detailed commentary on the proceedings. The coverage has mostly been respectful and reverent, befitting the occasion.

However, one presenter has stirred controversy by targeting Meghan Markle during Today's live broadcast from London.

While speaking to royal photographer Chris Jackson on Tuesday morning (AEST), host Karl Stefanovic made the speculative remark regarding Meghan, who he assumed had not been crying throughout the service, despite a photo showing the Duchess wiping away tears.

gvSGw5eNg0OEdYIeSyinFXLM9-CVz_NMEe9mIhBkuvzQl4LX2d7Lw0X00zNGz-hVlo1SITmMvW3luza7vpIxdRiZ4mDVULdAGLvvAOf7vzz0zSS7V9ciy29vzs6CVkDJzNRbz36yEAEpTA6XiCcLDL2GLmVpa4rj--lhePX0KKG6vtv0EWnqLJyb

The TV presenter has left thousands of viewers speechless, including his co-host Allison Langdon with his snarky remark. Credit: Channel Nine.

He asserted that images of members of the royal family can be misunderstood as to whether they were sobbing or not.

Karl said: 'There's been lots of photos around and interpretations of photos and reading into photos [meanings] that may or may not be true.'

'There's a couple of Meghan, um, with a tear running down her face – apparently – and also even one of Princess Charlotte that everyone was saying she was crying, and we don't know if it was true or not.'

Karl's controversial comment caught his co-host, Allison Langdon, off guard as she smiled at the camera nervously before glancing at him.

The awkward moment happened after the Channel Nine host offended some viewers with a 'tasteless' remark during the Monday night broadcast of the Queen's funeral.

'Welcome to what is probably the greatest show on Earth farewelling one of the world's greatest,' Karl said during the live broadcast.

AoxLukGnvQ4w3f-reQc8h9pX6yew-Eoa0MNlPcN8lYaBzp_a6rh4HYEy2wnmddE9SvfPs_1Bu3xdc6rBST7x6cLKbZOO54m97olvCdzR8u4VTf9l19UBYEfKJbDDTngR1JwqTYTyVAvdYAy4l76N2c9R0x746c672Y2yTx1ytzII6pmDwRx5Yy_3

A photo of Meghan Markle during the Queen’s funeral. Credit: Channel Nine.

Some viewers voiced their outrage at the remark on social media, criticising the TV presenter for his comments.

One person wrote: 'Greatest show on Earth .... really? Is that the right words Karl Stefanovic... Bit tasteless to say that really.'

'Who is watching the worst coverage of the Queen's funeral? I had to change from Channel Nine after Stefanovic called it "the greatest show on Earth”,' another added.

Other Channel Nine presenters Peter Overton and Tracy Grimshaw also faced backlash for describing UK Prime Minister Liz Truss as 'perhaps a minor royal’.

We should all pay our respects to Queen Elizabeth II and her family during this difficult time. She served the Commonwealth for decades with great dedication and strength. Even in her later years, she continued to serve as a role model and an inspiration to us all.

Her funeral is a time to remember her great life and all that she accomplished. We hope that these controversies during this period of mourning will not be the events that we remember from the late monarch's final moment. We should all take a moment to reflect on her legacy and give thanks for her many years of service.

Do you share the same sentiments? Do you think the snarky comments are inappropriate during this time of grieving?

Sponsored
Karl Stefanovic was an absolute disgrace to all Australian people with his "comments" during his entire broadcasts. What do overseas Viewers, especially the English , think of us now following all his "comments" ?
Many, many, many Good Morning viewers are absolutely 'insulted" at his comments EVERY day on the Show. How on earth does he survive in his job ? Who does he know ? Allison Langdon is fast catching up to him.
Cheers, Chris
..."Huh".......seriously, it must be hard to please everybody all of the time, maybe volunteer for the job yourself & try copping the flak.....amazing how people pick up on small incidence & make a MOUNTAIN out of it....

I found the commentaries interesting, They did a great Job... "we dont all like BORING," Those of you who do like boring & DONT like Karl, you had a great channel choice, so STIOP your HATE mail on here, you make this forum look like an OLD FARTS who like to complain session....Enjoy life while you can folks, who knows whats around the corner....Yes Karl puts his foot in his mouth at times, but Im not perfect either...May a wonderful real astute Lady now REST IN PEACE....

• Sad
Reactions: RhodaStarr
Karl Stefanovic was an absolute disgrace to all Australian people with his "comments" during his entire broadcasts. What do overseas Viewers, especially the English , think of us now following all his "comments" ?
Many, many, many Good Morning viewers are absolutely 'insulted" at his comments EVERY day on the Show. How on earth does he survive in his job ? Who does he know ? Allison Langdon is fast catching up to him.
Cheers, Chris
I find him inappropriate whenever I have seen him. Whatever he is on, I no longer watch. So tired of any presenters who make comments that are tactless or distasteful, criticising etc. Think before you speak, its not an informal gathering of friends you are with.

I will get slammed for this but a few girlfriends and I were looking at one photo were Megan seemed to be half happy. But I do think Karl should keep his opinions off air

Reactions: Mrs P
It is definitely not the time or place to express his opinions, millions of people are mourning and not interested in crass, cruel remarks. Keep it to yourself and do a good job or leave.

I agree with all the others about Karl Stefanovic. He has always been against Megan Markle and needs his head pulled in. He is the reason I do not watch Channel 9. We do not need people like him making negative comments about anyone. I cannot understand why he is still working there.

Reactions: Gaena
what an absolute disgrace of a person Stefanovic is, I'm still disgusted that channel 9 bought him back! The fact that this bogan feels the justification to condemn and criticise others amazes me. The greatest show on earth...that's when i changed the channel to 7.
Viewers need to vote with their remote and get these presenters off TV all together, it's an insult to viewers intelligence.
His opinion means squat!

Reactions: Ricci and Gaena
Why is Karl still on the today show ? He has been controversial for some time now, can't tolerate him anymore. I watch channel 7 in the mornings,starts my day off well.
I have not watched Morning or Breakfast TV shows for years, mainly because of presenters like Stefonovic who think that they know everything but are mainly wrong in their assumptions, they all seem to buy into the most spurious gossip and present it as the truth; getting angry in the morning because of comments from presenters that you do not like is not a good way of starting the day!

I, you don’t know Karl, so keep your uninformed opinions to yourself.
I think once you are a public figure it doesn't take long to see what sort of person you are.

In this case Karl seems to make a lot of comments that should not be made especially at moments that they just shouldn't be made.

It's these comments that make people judge him

Reactions: DiMcg and Gaena
As you well know, the world is mourning the death of Queen Elizabeth II, and the press is providing comprehensive coverage of the memorial service and funeral.

Millions of people around the globe were tuned in to watch as the royal family bid farewell to their matriarch.

Some of the most prolific news presenters have been sent to the UK to cover the story, and they are providing detailed commentary on the proceedings. The coverage has mostly been respectful and reverent, befitting the occasion.

However, one presenter has stirred controversy by targeting Meghan Markle during Today's live broadcast from London.

While speaking to royal photographer Chris Jackson on Tuesday morning (AEST), host Karl Stefanovic made the speculative remark regarding Meghan, who he assumed had not been crying throughout the service, despite a photo showing the Duchess wiping away tears.

gvSGw5eNg0OEdYIeSyinFXLM9-CVz_NMEe9mIhBkuvzQl4LX2d7Lw0X00zNGz-hVlo1SITmMvW3luza7vpIxdRiZ4mDVULdAGLvvAOf7vzz0zSS7V9ciy29vzs6CVkDJzNRbz36yEAEpTA6XiCcLDL2GLmVpa4rj--lhePX0KKG6vtv0EWnqLJyb

The TV presenter has left thousands of viewers speechless, including his co-host Allison Langdon with his snarky remark. Credit: Channel Nine.

He asserted that images of members of the royal family can be misunderstood as to whether they were sobbing or not.

Karl said: 'There's been lots of photos around and interpretations of photos and reading into photos [meanings] that may or may not be true.'

'There's a couple of Meghan, um, with a tear running down her face – apparently – and also even one of Princess Charlotte that everyone was saying she was crying, and we don't know if it was true or not.'

Karl's controversial comment caught his co-host, Allison Langdon, off guard as she smiled at the camera nervously before glancing at him.

The awkward moment happened after the Channel Nine host offended some viewers with a 'tasteless' remark during the Monday night broadcast of the Queen's funeral.

'Welcome to what is probably the greatest show on Earth farewelling one of the world's greatest,' Karl said during the live broadcast.

AoxLukGnvQ4w3f-reQc8h9pX6yew-Eoa0MNlPcN8lYaBzp_a6rh4HYEy2wnmddE9SvfPs_1Bu3xdc6rBST7x6cLKbZOO54m97olvCdzR8u4VTf9l19UBYEfKJbDDTngR1JwqTYTyVAvdYAy4l76N2c9R0x746c672Y2yTx1ytzII6pmDwRx5Yy_3

Some viewers voiced their outrage at the remark on social media, criticising the TV presenter for his comments.

One person wrote: 'Greatest show on Earth .... really? Is that the right words Karl Stefanovic... Bit tasteless to say that really.'

'Who is watching the worst coverage of the Queen's funeral? I had to change from Channel Nine after Stefanovic called it "the greatest show on Earth”,' another added.

Other Channel Nine presenters Peter Overton and Tracy Grimshaw also faced backlash for describing UK Prime Minister Liz Truss as 'perhaps a minor royal’.

We should all pay our respects to Queen Elizabeth II and her family during this difficult time. She served the Commonwealth for decades with great dedication and strength. Even in her later years, she continued to serve as a role model and an inspiration to us all.

Her funeral is a time to remember her great life and all that she accomplished. We hope that these controversies during this period of mourning will not be the events that we remember from the late monarch's final moment. We should all take a moment to reflect on her legacy and give thanks for her many years of service.

Do you share the same sentiments? Do you think the snarky comments are inappropriate during this time of grieving?
And who listens to what Karl has to say anyway. He has his own past issues that placed a stain on his reputation and he is in no position to throw stones. I changed channels due to his annoying presence.

I found the commentaries interesting, They did a great Job... "we dont all like BORING," Those of you who do like boring & DONT like Karl, you had a great channel choice, so STIOP your HATE mail on here, you make this forum look like an OLD FARTS who like to complain session....Enjoy life while you can folks, who knows whats around the corner....Yes Karl puts his foot in his mouth at times, but Im not perfect either...May a wonderful real astute Lady now REST IN PEACE....

Mrs P.
Like you, I have a right to discuss the comments by Mr Stepanovic. I believe that this sombre event and the Australian people do not have to listen to one person's opinion, which is very biased. I do not agree with you. I may be an OLD FART of 77yrs but I had a great deal of respect for Queen Elizabeth II. From the beginning of Channel 9's coverage, I could see a problem with the commentator and his obvious lack of knowledge about the funeral ceremony and the British way of celebrating the life of a great woman. I switched over to the BBC and saw a very dignified, calm commentary from knowledgeable hosts and felt the respect given to all the family and her subjects.

• Love
Reactions: June E and Gaena
Karl Stefanovic has a motor mouth. He forgets where he is and what he says. I made the decision to watch BBC streaming and I was delighted with the dignity of the presentation. Minimal discussion, relative points made only, and no dribbling comments. Well done BBC Bouquets to you. To
Karl Stefanovic has a motor mouth. He forgets where he is and what he says. I made the decision to watch BBC streaming and I was delighted with the dignity of the presentation. Minimal discussion, relative points made only, and no dribbling comments. Well done BBC Bouquets to you. To Channel 9 Brickbats,
Wonder if GastroStop would stop verbal diarrhoea?

To all of the above - agreed! Karl Stefanovic is the reason we don't watch Channel 9 in the morning.

Mrs P.
Like you, I have a right to discuss the comments by Mr Stepanovic. I believe that this sombre event and the Australian people do not have to listen to one person's opinion, which is very biased. I do not agree with you. I may be an OLD FART of 77yrs but I had a great deal of respect for Queen Elizabeth II. From the beginning of Channel 9's coverage, I could see a problem with the commentator and his obvious lack of knowledge about the funeral ceremony and the British way of celebrating the life of a great woman. I switched over to the BBC and saw a very dignified, calm commentary from knowledgeable hosts and felt the respect given to all the family and her subjects.
That's exactly it... You could & did watch what you preferred,, Opinions I have no problem with nor discussions, but straight out verbal bashing ? , exactly what they are accusing Karl of...I don't mind that you do not agree with my opinion.. its good to agree or not in society ..I am your senior also, but I tire of the verbal bashing of peoples different perspective. With so many channel choices in this Country, no one is forced to watch what they don't approve of....I also have much respect for the late Queen.. & I watched it all with much interest .....just for the record much of the vision I watched also came from BBCs cameras & it was not all Chanel 9s cameras....it was exactly what my daughter was also watching live in New Zealand...

Reactions: June E
I'm no Megan Markle fan, but they're there to cover the funeral of a magnificent Monarch who has devoted herself to her job, country and people....let's hear about the Working Royals, the Queens procession, the bagpipes, drummers, gunfire,....all the trimmings of Her farewell.... and nothing more about the non-working loafers...thanks!

I stopped watching the morning shows long ago! Some of the commentary was pathetic & some definitely prejudiced. The ABC became far too woke, far-left & virtue signalling for my taste. I watch Sky Regional. Their coverage of the Queen’s funeral was respectful. As a British citizen it was good to see the ceremony without colonialist rhetoric being shoved down our throats. The insensitivity of the usual Republican advocates calling for action within 24 minutes of the Queen’s passing was unwelcome but not unexpected.
I'm Australian but of Italian ancestry and I like the British monarchy. My mother also loved the Queen and the monarchy. It was and is disgusting to hear people here talking of a Republic on the very day / moment of her death. What has a Republic done to other countries? Just have a look see if they are really any better off. Please show some respect for the late Queen and her family and remember they are all human, too, and have the same issues/problems as any other family.

He’s pretty much always inappropriate…the man is a moron!!