Thousands of Aussies are rushing to buy this bizarre summer invention – but is it really worth the price?

An Aussie man has come up with what he believes is the perfect solution to combating the harmful effects of UV rays – but not everyone is convinced it’s worth the hefty price tag.

The inventor believes that his gadget – which awfully looks like a very large sun visor – helps prevent skin cancer.

As much as we all love the summer months here in Australia, there's no denying that they can be harsh – especially on our skin. The UV rays are incredibly strong and even if we lather ourselves in sunscreen and stay in the shade as much as possible, there's always the risk of getting sunburnt (or worse).

And while a little bit of sun is healthy for us (it helps our bodies produce Vitamin D), too much exposure can lead to some serious health issues further down the line – including skin cancer.

The Shader’ was invented to prevent serious skin conditions from forming in our bodies. But can it really do that?

shader.JPG
This ‘invention’ comes with its own bag and a heavy price tag. Credit: The Shader AU

Mark Sellar, the Inventor, said that this combats the effects of the sun, which is the culprit for 90 per cent of all visible skin ageing. He also said that because his product is ‘made with 99.8% UV reflective material and an SPF 45+ rating’, it can keep your skin looking young.

(Er, at least it can keep the top half of your body looking young since ‘The Shader’ only covers your face.)

It also comes in two designs: leopard print and grey, and has an extendable 180° coverage, which allows ‘The Shader’ to adjust as the sun moves.

The bad news? It costs AU $79.95. Yikes!

Regardless, shoppers across the country are raving about ‘The Shader’.

‘I finally don’t have to use my sandy shirt/book/hat as a face shield, and I can put my speaker in the little pocket and listen to music,’ said one customer.

Another woman wrote: ‘This little nifty bag contains a sun Shader that is easy to pop up. You can lie under it so you can read a book without the sun in your face, or, like me, pop your little bubs under for additional sun safety. The sun Shader comes with sand-free towels and you can add your SPF, snacks, and water in your backpack too.’

The product garnered over $200,000 in sales in just two weeks after its release.

Mr Sellar said: ‘Keeping cool in the heat and protecting our faces from the harsh Aussie sun is so important – particularly when it comes to preventing sunburn and anti-ageing.’

However, it is important to note that sunburn and melanoma happen after DNA in the skin cells is damaged – typically due to UV rays. This triggers mutations that can form malignant tumours.

This means that melanoma can happen anywhere on your body, not just on your face. So, it would be best to follow these tips to keep your skin healthy:
  • Use sunscreen all over your body. Try not to spend too much time under the sun to avoid sunburn.
  • Avoid tanning.
  • Apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going out.
  • Examine your skin every month.
  • Visit your physician every year for a skin exam.

shader2.JPG
Apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going out and try not to stay too long under the sun. Credit: Moose Photos in Pexels

The first five letters of the alphabet can also serve as a guide to help you recognise the early warning signs of melanoma:

A is for Asymmetry: Most melanomas are asymmetrical. If you draw a line through the middle of a mole, and the two halves don’t match, it would be best to get that checked by a doctor.

B is for Border: Melanoma borders tend to be uneven and may have scalloped or notched edges. Common moles tend to be smoother around the borders.

C is for Colour: Multiple colours are a warning sign of melanoma; they may have different shades of brown, tan or black. As it grows, the colours red, white, or blue may also appear.

D is for Diameter or Dark: If the lesion is the size of a pencil eraser (around 6 mm or ¼ inch in diameter), it may be a warning sign of melanoma.

E is for Evolving: Any change in size, colour, shape, or elevation of a spot on your skin, as well as other symptoms such as bleeding, itching, or crusting, may be a sign of melanoma.

Key Takeaways

• ‘The Shader’ is an anti-ageing shade cover that can be used to protect your face from UV rays on the beach.
  • The product is designed to be easy to carry and comes with a hidden pocket for your phone or purse.
  • It is made with deep reflective material to combat harmful UV rays and has extendable 180° coverage.
  • The product generated over $200,000 in sales in two weeks after its original release in 2018.
  • It is important to note that melanoma appears anywhere on your skin, not just on your face.
Members, what are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments below! As always, if you notice any pain in your body, or new moles have appeared, consult with your GP immediately.

Sponsored
May be fine for those who like to sunbake, but only for your face.
Unfortunately, my skin cancers were caused thru horse riding and even though I used sun block I've had several suncancers removed from my face, including a skin graft to the end of my nose.
I have been very lucky that none of them have been melanomas.

I am no expert but from what I understand, sun damage is from glare. That is why you can still get sunburnt on a grey day when you can't even see sunshine.