This woman's nauseating act on a three-hour plane trip has people talking

Most of us have been on a plane journey before, so we know how frustrating and even agonising they can be. They always seem to take forever, no matter how long the actual flight time is.

There's nothing worse than being stuck on a cramped aircraft with noisy, inconsiderate passengers who just make the experience that much worse – am I right?

Well, one woman's recent actions on a three-hour plane trip have certainly sparked some strong reactions from people online... and not in a good way.

A photo of the unidentified woman painting her nails mid-flight was posted to Reddit’s (a news forum and conversation site) r/mildlyinfuriating subreddit with the caption: ‘This woman painting her nails on a 3 hour plane journey’.

grandmother-coering-nose-from-hodor-bad-smell-from-kitchen_262288-6878.jpg
Noxious fumes on a flight? No thank you. Credit: Freepik/koldunov

As the subreddit’s name suggests, r/mildlyinfuriating is the place within the Reddit site for all things irritating enough to mildly pique your attention.

According to the original poster (OP), five people — four co-passengers AND a flight attendant — asked the woman to stop, to no avail.

Now, what’s the fuss, you ask?

Painting nails uses substances with strong odours like nail polish and nail polish remover (usually acetone). Not a big deal, frankly, if one does it in a well-ventilated area.

But you can’t exactly open windows mid-flight on an aeroplane, right? So, imagine the discomfort of the woman’s co-passengers with the smell of the substances confined to their compartment.

Of course, it didn't take long for people to start flooding the comments section with their opinions.

‘Self-entitlement to an extreme degree,’ one user said.

‘I would have been SEETHING. Imagine if people near her had asthma,’ added another.

One user, who admitted enjoying painting their nails, gave some perspective on why the woman’s in-flight activity was an issue.

‘The fumes can be literally nauseating in an enclosed space for people with keen noses. (Nail polish) has an intense chemical smell, somewhat like acetone, but more vinyl-smelling. Some people swear the smell gives them headaches, and that's when doing it in a well-ventilated area,’ they said.

‘Even I wouldn't dare subject people to that on a flight.’

Key Takeaways

• A woman in one recent three-hour plane trip has people irritated online
  • A story posted on Reddit shows the woman obliviously doing her nails mid-flight with pungent nail polish
  • The woman has been criticised over her 'self-entitlement' and insensitivity
  • The woman was asked multiple times to stop doing her nails, to no avail
The post also prompted similar horror stories from other users, which are enough to make one reconsider flying ever again. (Kidding! But the nerve of some people, honestly…)

‘I recall a person in my row who packed a hot meal on a flight that didn't have service. Apparently, she cooked it a couple of hours earlier, and then brought it onboard in an insulated bag. A dish of steaming hot fish. It was absolutely nauseating,’ one unfortunate user shared.

Then there’s also this story: ‘I had someone violently tooting every 5 - 10 minutes on my long flight yesterday. We had to get the flight attendant to move us. It was so bad. You really can’t escape smells on a plane!’ If only being considerate was a flight requirement, right?

ezgif.com-gif-maker.png
The oblivious woman went on despite repeated requests, according to the OP. Credit: Reddit/u/tazdoestheinternet

Speaking of consideration, we also have stories of people lacking in that category on flights. Check out this passenger’s ‘rude’ action that infuriated one flyer, and this one that took a woman on a ‘hair-plane’ ride.

What would you have done in their place, members? Would you have tried to talk to her? Or would you have let turbulence do its thing instead?

Do share your comments and opinions below!

Sponsored
Most of us have been on a plane journey before, so we know how frustrating and even agonising they can be. They always seem to take forever, no matter how long the actual flight time is.

There's nothing worse than being stuck on a cramped aircraft with noisy, inconsiderate passengers who just make the experience that much worse – am I right?

Well, one woman's recent actions on a three-hour plane trip have certainly sparked some strong reactions from people online... and not in a good way.

A photo of the unidentified woman painting her nails mid-flight was posted to Reddit’s (a news forum and conversation site) r/mildlyinfuriating subreddit with the caption: ‘This woman painting her nails on a 3 hour plane journey’.

View attachment 7324

As the subreddit’s name suggests, r/mildlyinfuriating is the place within the Reddit site for all things irritating enough to mildly pique your attention.

According to the original poster (OP), five people — four co-passengers AND a flight attendant — asked the woman to stop, to no avail.

Painting nails uses substances with strong odours like nail polish and nail polish remover (usually acetone). Not a big deal, frankly, if one does it in a well-ventilated area.

But you can’t exactly open windows mid-flight on an aeroplane, right? So, imagine the discomfort of the woman’s co-passengers with the smell of the substances confined to their compartment.

Of course, it didn't take long for people to start flooding the comments section with their opinions.

‘I would have been SEETHING. Imagine if people near her had asthma,’ added another.

One user, who admitted enjoying painting their nails, gave some perspective on why the woman’s in-flight activity was an issue.

‘The fumes can be literally nauseating in an enclosed space for people with keen noses. (Nail polish) has an intense chemical smell, somewhat like acetone, but more vinyl-smelling. Some people swear the smell gives them headaches, and that's when doing it in a well-ventilated area,’ they said.

Key Takeaways

• A story posted on Reddit shows the woman obliviously doing her nails mid-flight with pungent nail polish
The post also prompted similar horror stories from other users, which are enough to make one reconsider flying ever again. (Kidding! But the nerve of some people, honestly…)

‘I recall a person in my row who packed a hot meal on a flight that didn't have service. Apparently, she cooked it a couple of hours earlier, and then brought it onboard in an insulated bag. A dish of steaming hot fish. It was absolutely nauseating,’ one unfortunate user shared.

Then there’s also this story: ‘I had someone violently tooting every 5 - 10 minutes on my long flight yesterday. We had to get the flight attendant to move us. It was so bad. You really can’t escape smells on a plane!’ If only being considerate was a flight requirement, right?

View attachment 7323
The oblivious woman went on despite repeated requests, according to the OP. Credit: Reddit/u/tazdoestheinternet

Speaking of consideration, we also have stories of people lacking in that category on flights. Check out this passenger’s ‘rude’ action that infuriated one flyer, and this one that took a woman on a ‘hair-plane’ ride.

What would you have done in their place, members? Would you have tried to talk to her? Or would you have let turbulence do its thing instead?

The flight attendant should have confiscated the nail polish bottle being a flammable liquid on board a plane.

View attachment 7324

Key Takeaways

View attachment 7323

You really can't do anything, the person in question would have known it is not the right thing to do, so it is a waste of time, point the air vent at her.

View attachment 7324

Key Takeaways

View attachment 7323

Reactions: Hughsie
If nail polish is classified as a dangerous and prohibited product by Australia Post as it is not permitted on airlines, why was it allowed onto the plane in the first place? Surely one of the airline stewards should have said something.

Not something I would have thought of doing. I usually like to look my best before I fly. 🙂 Beats me what some people think is ok to do on a flight. Toe nail clipping, feet stuck between seats, allowing their Rugrats to bounce about or kick the seat in front of them. Returned recently from Bali, and a large sweaty man wearing a vest wedged himself between two passengers opposite me on the plane. I don’t think deodorant was manly enough for him as each time he moved from his seat he left a distinct aroma behind. 5.5 hours of that was delightful! 👎

View attachment 7324

Key Takeaways

View attachment 7323

Airlines do not care anymore about their passengers' comfort, or for the irritation, some cause to others. They are only concerned about getting Bums into seats. My wife and I had a young woman in front of us coming home from Cairns recently who was coughing all the way, when the airline steward asked her to PLEASE put her mask on he was told to go F... Himself.

I have allergic reactions to acetone and related products. I would have asked the lady to stop and explain why. If she declined I would have to move well away.

Doesn’t it all come down to just one word? There’s even a song, titled:
R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!!
Sadly the current World that we live in has forgotton that word and its meaning and it is all about themselves and what they are entitled to. Can you imagine if someone sat beside her and farted for the three hours. She would have been the one complaining the loudest. Inconsiderate does not even cover the actions of this one hell of a selfish self centred person.

I would have sat and prayed for air turbulence and hoped it went all over her fingers and the bottle spilled all over her clothes and then laughed when it did!!!!

Reactions: TheBear
People shouldn't have to put up with the toxic smell. Whenever I did my nails I always sat outside.

I remember being on a train on my way to work , when a guy started cutting his nails and letting them fly everywhere , I held my tongue until......HE STARTED CUTTING HIS TOE NAILS, I then said to him that it's very unhygienic and disrespectful to others for him to do this on a train.
He shrugged his shoulders and didn't care