This woman was furious over her $37 Coles bill, but her rant took an unexpected turn

The rising cost of groceries is a source of frustration and financial strain for many.

With inflation and increased living costs intensifying the burden, the value of every dollar matters more than ever.

This was highlighted by the viral outcry of a woman frustrated over her $37 Coles bill, which has sparked a broader conversation about the perceived value and cost of grocery items.

The woman, known as Brooklyn, took to social media to express her frustration over the cost of her groceries, which she claimed couldn't even make a full meal.

She declared in her video online she was ‘never owning a house at this rate’ after sharing what she’d gotten for $37 at Coles.

photo.jpg
Brooklyn shared her frustration over her $37 Coles bill. Credit: @sooklyn / TikTok

‘Groceries are so f**king expensive. Do you want to know what I got for $37?’ she said.

‘OK. Lettuce, because health. Gravy, because also health. Panko breadcrumbs. Some bread. Some more bread. Prosciutto. Chicken. And vegetable oil. $37!’

She expressed her disbelief at the cost, with the text overlaying the clip saying, 'This can't even make a full meal, and it was $37.'

However, the response from the online community was not what she expected.

The online community was quick to respond, with many suggesting that she had actually scored a ‘good deal'.

One commenter wrote, 'Is it bad I think that's pretty good,' while another added, ‘Same, I was like “bargain”.’

'The economy might be messing with me, but this seems like a steal to me,’ another said.

‘That’s a lot for $37 in this climate. I spent $60 on less the other day,’ another user added.

‘Seems right to me! $10 in bread, $7 in prosciutto, [plastic] wrapped lettuces and ready-to-pour gravy. [You’re] paying for convenience!’ someone agreed.

‘Mate, that’s actually decent. You’ve got at least 4-6 meals in there,’ another wrote.

‘In all fairness, you didn’t buy the cheapest things,’ one user commented.

‘Pretty good for 37 [dollars], actually.’

You can watch her video below:

Credit: @sooklyn / TikTok

According to a recent analysis by Compare the Market, Australian shoppers are paying up to twice as much as they were three years ago for pantry staples such as olive oil and a bag of mixed peas and corn.

The report also revealed that no shopping aisle has escaped the impact of inflation since 2021, with prices of common items jumping 40 per cent.

Chris Ford from Compare the Market explained that while an increase of a few dollars might not seem significant, it can have a major impact on a household's weekly budget.

‘We know that the big supermarkets are trying to lure in customers by locking in or dropping prices, but our analysis shows that many of the essentials we shop for each week have actually increased since last year,’ he said.

‘In a time where we’re seeing energy bills skyrocket, feeling pain at the petrol bowser and seeing insurance premiums rise, the last thing we want is for Australians to be forking out more than they need to on everyday items they need.’

Ford also warned that recent extreme weather events and potential increases in shipping costs could contribute to higher checkout prices in the near future.

‘Which is why it’s more important now than ever before for Aussies to take back control, wake up to waste and pay as little as possible for the groceries we need.’

Shoppers have been urged to shop around before they go in-store to make sure they are getting the best price.

Supermarket prices have become a political issue in recent weeks, with the government under pressure to address the cost of living.

A review of the Food and Grocery Code of Conduct, which governs the relationship between retailers, wholesalers and suppliers, is underway.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has expressed concern about the prices consumers are paying at the big supermarket giants.

The government has hinted at the possibility of ordering the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to investigate deceptive prices.

'We want to make sure that people are paying the lowest possible prices when they get to a checkout,’ PM Albanese said.

‘That's our priority, along with other measures to assist people.’
Key Takeaways

• A woman expressed her frustration over the cost of her grocery bill at Coles, but social media users suggested she got a good deal.
  • The post highlighted the ongoing struggle with the cost of living pressures in Australia.
  • Analysis showed that shoppers are paying significantly more for essential items than three years ago due to inflation.
  • The Australian government is reviewing the food and grocery code, and supermarket prices are under scrutiny amidst concerns over rising costs of living.
Was Brooklyn's $37 Coles bill a good deal or a sign of the times? Have you noticed a significant increase in your grocery bills? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
The rising cost of groceries is a source of frustration and financial strain for many.

With inflation and increased living costs intensifying the burden, the value of every dollar matters more than ever.

This was highlighted by the viral outcry of a woman frustrated over her $37 Coles bill, which has sparked a broader conversation about the perceived value and cost of grocery items.

The woman, known as Brooklyn, took to social media to express her frustration over the cost of her groceries, which she claimed couldn't even make a full meal.

She declared in her video online she was ‘never owning a house at this rate’ after sharing what she’d gotten for $37 at Coles.

View attachment 39937
Brooklyn shared her frustration over her $37 Coles bill. Credit: @sooklyn / TikTok

‘Groceries are so f**king expensive. Do you want to know what I got for $37?’ she said.

‘OK. Lettuce, because health. Gravy, because also health. Panko breadcrumbs. Some bread. Some more bread. Prosciutto. Chicken. And vegetable oil. $37!’

She expressed her disbelief at the cost, with the text overlaying the clip saying, 'This can't even make a full meal, and it was $37.'

The online community was quick to respond, with many suggesting that she had actually scored a ‘good deal'.

One commenter wrote, 'Is it bad I think that's pretty good,' while another added, ‘Same, I was like “bargain”.’

'The economy might be messing with me, but this seems like a steal to me,’ another said.

‘That’s a lot for $37 in this climate. I spent $60 on less the other day,’ another user added.

‘Seems right to me! $10 in bread, $7 in prosciutto, [plastic] wrapped lettuces and ready-to-pour gravy. [You’re] paying for convenience!’ someone agreed.

‘Mate, that’s actually decent. You’ve got at least 4-6 meals in there,’ another wrote.

According to a recent analysis by Compare the Market, Australian shoppers are paying up to twice as much as they were three years ago for pantry staples such as olive oil and a bag of mixed peas and corn.

The report also revealed that no shopping aisle has escaped the impact of inflation since 2021, with prices of common items jumping 40 per cent.

Chris Ford from Compare the Market explained that while an increase of a few dollars might not seem significant, it can have a major impact on a household's weekly budget.

‘We know that the big supermarkets are trying to lure in customers by locking in or dropping prices, but our analysis shows that many of the essentials we shop for each week have actually increased since last year,’ he said.

‘In a time where we’re seeing energy bills skyrocket, feeling pain at the petrol bowser and seeing insurance premiums rise, the last thing we want is for Australians to be forking out more than they need to on everyday items they need.’

Ford also warned that recent extreme weather events and potential increases in shipping costs could contribute to higher checkout prices in the near future.

‘Which is why it’s more important now than ever before for Aussies to take back control, wake up to waste and pay as little as possible for the groceries we need.’

Shoppers have been urged to shop around before they go in-store to make sure they are getting the best price.

Supermarket prices have become a political issue in recent weeks, with the government under pressure to address the cost of living.

A review of the Food and Grocery Code of Conduct, which governs the relationship between retailers, wholesalers and suppliers, is underway.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has expressed concern about the prices consumers are paying at the big supermarket giants.

The government has hinted at the possibility of ordering the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to investigate deceptive prices.

'We want to make sure that people are paying the lowest possible prices when they get to a checkout,’ PM Albanese said.

Key Takeaways

• A woman expressed her frustration over the cost of her grocery bill at Coles, but social media users suggested she got a good deal.
  • The post highlighted the ongoing struggle with the cost of living pressures in Australia.
  • Analysis showed that shoppers are paying significantly more for essential items than three years ago due to inflation.
  • The Australian government is reviewing the food and grocery code, and supermarket prices are under scrutiny amidst concerns over rising costs of living.
Was Brooklyn's $37 Coles bill a good deal or a sign of the times? Have you noticed a significant increase in your grocery bills? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Should have gone to Aldi probably cheaper 🤔🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 39937

Key Takeaways

What were the weights of each item? Oil 5 litres? Would last 2-3 months. Prosciutto! Essential item?. I pay well over $700 per month to feed two pensioner adults.

The whingers who want their 10 minutes of fame are really coming out of the woodwork, so to speak.