This video reveals the correct way to use a tape measure: Have you been using it wrong all this time?

With more of us taking to do-it-yourself (DIY) fixes and redecorating efforts in our homes during these times to save a few dollars here and there, chances are you’ve already had a go at doing some work around the house.

Most of us are probably quite familiar with the metallic ‘bendy’ measuring tapes favoured by tradies (or really, by anyone who’s ever taken a crack at a bit of DIY), but have you ever stopped to wonder if you’ve been using it the right way all this time?

A bloke named Sidney Raz has recently shed some light on the correct way to operate a measuring tape, claiming that many people measuring something have been doing it all wrong.

FB resize 141.jpg
Sidney revealed the correct way to use a tape measure. Credit: @sidneyraz/TikTok

Before we get into it, let’s think about how we would normally measure things. For example, to get the correct width of a window, we would bend the tape measure to ensure we’re measuring it from end to end.

This method gets the plastic housing of the measuring tape out of the way.

However, Sidney showed that there is an easier way to do this. He shared a video on social media saying, ‘Here’s something I wish I knew before I was in my thirties.’

‘Tape measures have their length on them?!’ he exclaimed later.

He stated that many people haven’t yet realised that the plastic cases actually display a number which states the measure of the case (for example, 3 inches, which is about 7.6 centimetres).

Sounds confusing, but all it means is that you can just add that number (3 in/ 7 cm) to the measurement already showing on the tape.

This way, when measuring an inside measurement, you’re able to pull to the top and then use the dimensions of your tape measure—no bent tape and no approximation needed!

He demonstrated this method in the video, measuring the inner sill of a window.

The measure comes up to 39 inches. He explained: ‘So 39 inches (99cm) plus 3 inches (7.6cm) is 42 (106.7cm).’

Sidney’s video has gone on to be viewed more than 765,000 times—with many people confessing to having made the same mistake for years of bends and approximations when measuring things.

‘Well, I didn’t know that either, and I’m in my 60s! So don’t feel bad,’ a social media user commented.

‘Just learning this from you at 47!’ another remarked.

A third person wrote: ‘Seriously, I never noticed that. Do you have any idea how many times I’ve bent the tape?’

‘I worked 16 years as an interior decorator, and my dad and I measured so many rooms... We both didn’t know that,’ someone admitted.

You can watch Sidney’s video here:

He isn’t the only one who shared this technique. Earlier this year, a tradie named Cory Keen posted a video about different facts about tape measure—and he mentioned the trick Sidney shared.

He also shared that the hole at the end of the tape measure serves a purpose: it is actually meant to hook a nail or a screw to make it easier to measure things by yourself.

Additionally, Cory’s video revealed that the slop at the end of the tool is not a design flaw, as many suspected. It is a deliberate feature that ensures exact measurement was given for either inside or outside measurement.

You can learn more about the other facts Cory mentioned in this video:

Key Takeaways
  • A bloke named Sidney Raz has shared a popular video explaining the correct method for using a tape measure for DIY projects.
  • Sidney explained that the plastic casing of the measure displays a number which is its own length, suggesting that users add this to the tape measurement rather than bending the tape measure to get the casing out of the way.
  • His video has been viewed more than 765,000 times and garnered reactions from people who admitted not noticing this detail.
  • Earlier this year, a tradie named Cory Keen also shared a video about the correct use of tape measure and other facts about the tool.

It’s never too late to learn something new, and we have to say, this revelation seems to have made life a lot easier for many of us DIY-ers!

Do you know about this method, members? Or do you bend your tape measure? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
With more of us taking to do-it-yourself (DIY) fixes and redecorating efforts in our homes during these times to save a few dollars here and there, chances are you’ve already had a go at doing some work around the house.

Most of us are probably quite familiar with the metallic ‘bendy’ measuring tapes favoured by tradies (or really, by anyone who’s ever taken a crack at a bit of DIY), but have you ever stopped to wonder if you’ve been using it the right way all this time?

A bloke named Sidney Raz has recently shed some light on the correct way to operate a measuring tape, claiming that many people measuring something have been doing it all wrong.

View attachment 31419
Sidney revealed the correct way to use a tape measure. Credit: @sidneyraz/TikTok

Before we get into it, let’s think about how we would normally measure things. For example, to get the correct width of a window, we would bend the tape measure to ensure we’re measuring it from end to end.

However, Sidney showed that there is an easier way to do this. He shared a video on social media saying, ‘Here’s something I wish I knew before I was in my thirties.’

He stated that many people haven’t yet realised that the plastic cases actually display a number which states the measure of the case (for example, 3 inches, which is about 7.6 centimetres).

Sounds confusing, but all it means is that you can just add that number (3 in/ 7 cm) to the measurement already showing on the tape.

This way, when measuring an inside measurement, you’re able to pull to the top and then use the dimensions of your tape measure—no bent tape and no approximation needed!

The measure comes up to 39 inches. He explained: ‘So 39 inches (99cm) plus 3 inches (7.6cm) is 42 (106.7cm).’

Sidney’s video has gone on to be viewed more than 765,000 times—with many people confessing to having made the same mistake for years of bends and approximations when measuring things.

‘Well, I didn’t know that either, and I’m in my 60s! So don’t feel bad,’ a social media user commented.

A third person wrote: ‘Seriously, I never noticed that. Do you have any idea how many times I’ve bent the tape?’

‘I worked 16 years as an interior decorator, and my dad and I measured so many rooms... We both didn’t know that,’ someone admitted.

He isn’t the only one who shared this technique. Earlier this year, a tradie named Cory Keen posted a video about different facts about tape measure—and he mentioned the trick Sidney shared.

He also shared that the hole at the end of the tape measure serves a purpose: it is actually meant to hook a nail or a screw to make it easier to measure things by yourself.

Additionally, Cory’s video revealed that the slop at the end of the tool is not a design flaw, as many suspected. It is a deliberate feature that ensures exact measurement was given for either inside or outside measurement.

Key Takeaways

• A bloke named Sidney Raz has shared a popular video explaining the correct method for using a tape measure for DIY projects.
  • Sidney explained that the plastic casing of the measure displays a number which is its own length, suggesting that users add this to the tape measurement rather than bending the tape measure to get the casing out of the way.
  • His video has been viewed more than 765,000 times and garnered reactions from people who admitted not noticing this detail.
  • Earlier this year, a tradie named Cory Keen also shared a video about the correct use of tape measure and other facts about the tool.

It’s never too late to learn something new, and we have to say, this revelation seems to have made life a lot easier for many of us DIY-ers!

Do you know about this method, members? Or do you bend your tape measure? Let us know in the comments below!

I thought this was something everyone knew, and no I am not a tradie or married to one.

View attachment 31419

Key Takeaways

Not really surprised. No matter how old one gets you can learn something new every day.

View attachment 31419

Key Takeaways

Seriously hard up for story's hey 🙄🤔🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I have the perfect system for operating a tape measure, and any other DIY tool.
Get the person you're paying, or, who is helping you with the job, to do it for you.

I’m surprised people haven’t worked this out. I’ve known as long as I’ve been using a tape measure, hubby also knows. Why do people think the measurement of the case is written on it? Anyone who has bought a tape measure on cardboard would know if they bothered to read the instructions on the cardboard. Guess common sense is not so common anymore.

View attachment 31419

Key Takeaways

I wonder if his grannie blows or sucks eggs?

Reactions: Veggiepatch
The Captain Obvious meter just went off the scale.

Any 9 metre tape, such as the Lufkin brand, have 76 millimetres as the length of the tape body. Been that way since the advent of sliced bread.