This unlikely hardware store purchase will make your kitchen sink shine

Have you ever scoured the cleaning aisle for a product that could make your dull and worn-out kitchen sink sparkle again?

We wouldn't be surprised if you've gone through many products that have failed to work, giving you nothing but wasted money, a sink in the same condition, and a lot of frustration.

But don't give up just yet, there's still hope!

Credit for this recent kitchen solution goes to a homeowner who recently stumbled upon something that brought her kitchen sink ‘back to life’ — figuratively, of course (sentient sinks sound terrifying).

On a popular Facebook page, the homeowner revealed that she used a product called Autosol Metal Polish to restore the shine and gleam to her dull sink, which was otherwise un-scrub-able even with other popular options exhausted.

The product is available for $8.35 at Bunnings and $12.99 at Supercheap Auto, as of writing. We have our fingers crossed that it will work wonders for your sink.

481bbedf6f15c652f3670ada35128a67974bc7c3-161x229-x30y0w900h1280.jpg
One woman shared the results of her kitchen cleaning job using Autosol’s metal polish. Image Credit: Facebook

According to the woman responsible for the cleaning hack, you will have to put in some elbow grease when using it, but it will be worth it in the end!

‘(I) have just polished my kitchen sink using Autosol available at Supercheap Auto — WOW!’ she shared.

'(I) was sick and tired of (my kitchen sink) looking dull — (I needed a) bit of elbow grease involved, but well worth the effort,' she wrote.

Looking at the absolutely shiny result of her work, it’s not a surprise that members wholeheartedly agreed with her:

‘That sink looks so good, if I did this I’d probably cover it up and wouldn’t want to use it. Got to love a gleaming sink!' one impressed commenter said.

Another proactive commenter wasted no time too: 'Sent my husband out to get some while he was on lunch!'

While others said the impressive job the homeowner did on the sink was ‘so satisfying’ as it looked ‘brand new’.

One even shared how she used the product as a former op shop worker who polished electroplated nickel-silver (EPNS) items.

‘This stuff is amazing! If you have dull metal of any kind, use this… Apply with any kind of cloth, polish off with a soft cloth after, like flannelette. I had so much fun doing it,’ they said.

‘Having said that, it’s messy work.’

5cf8f344-4361-4f5e-b17a-a035303689b9.jpg
Autosol’s 75 mL Metal Polish retails for $8.35 at Bunnings and $12.99 at Supercheap Auto. Image Credit: Bunnings

Now, some of you might be asking if it’s even safe for use in kitchens. According to the product’s website, Autosol’s metal polish ‘has been declared safe for use around food processing areas’.

Meanwhile, a glance at the reviews of the product on Bunnings’ and Supercheap Auto’s websites reveals that it’s highly regarded for use on other metallic surfaces (we’d like to point out that it’s not for use on brushed stainless steel surfaces).

It has an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars based on 137 reviews left in Supercheap Auto, while it has 4.1 out of 5 stars based on reviews on Bunnings.

Luckily, there are a few reviews about its use on kitchen sinks!

‘Great product to polish stainless steel sinks,’ one reviewer said. ‘(The) sink comes up new and shiny.’

Another added that it removed stains other products would not from their sink.

On the other hand, there was another review saying it was ineffective.

‘I am very disappointed with this product… I tried to polish my kitchen sink with this paste. You will be tired of brushing (or) rubbing it off. There is no amazing shine or glaze after rubbing… This product is useless and doesn't work as described,’ it said.

So what is the verdict? Does Autosol work, or not? Well, based on the before and after photos that the woman posted, it looks like the product definitely did the trick, but it might not be guaranteed in all cases.

That said, it might be worth trying at the very least.

Key Takeaways

• An Aussie homeowner has revealed how she transformed her dull kitchen sink using Autosol Metal Polish.
  • Photos posted by the homeowner show the basin looking sparkling and shiny thanks to the product.
  • Many Facebook users were blown away by the results and impressed by the homeowner’s efforts.
If you have time, you might want to check out related stories on keeping your kitchen spotless, like cleaning expert Mama Mila’s DIY hack or the three places in your kitchen that you should keep an eye on most.

So, what are your thoughts on this latest kitchen sink cleaning tip?

Have you had the chance to use similar products before? Or maybe you have your own tried-and-tested techniques to keep your sink shiny?

Share your opinions and techniques below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
To be honest I'm tied of spending money that are supposed to work miracles.

I sometimes wonder if it's the company getting a staff member to post tik toks ect just to get sales up.
Otherwise what makes these people want to try or even think to try products especially this one.

I use creme cleanser and good old steel wool and ...drum roll please.......it's a miracle...it's it A M A Z I N G

Have you ever scoured the cleaning aisle for a product that could make your dull and worn-out kitchen sink sparkle again?

We wouldn't be surprised if you've gone through many products that have failed to work, giving you nothing but wasted money, a sink in the same condition, and a lot of frustration.

But don't give up just yet, there's still hope!

Credit for this recent kitchen solution goes to a homeowner who recently stumbled upon something that brought her kitchen sink ‘back to life’ — figuratively, of course (sentient sinks sound terrifying).

On a popular Facebook page, the homeowner revealed that she used a product called Autosol Metal Polish to restore the shine and gleam to her dull sink, which was otherwise un-scrub-able even with other popular options exhausted.

The product is available for $8.35 at Bunnings and $12.99 at Supercheap Auto, as of writing. We have our fingers crossed that it will work wonders for your sink.

View attachment 13802
One woman shared the results of her kitchen cleaning job using Autosol’s metal polish. Image Credit: Facebook

According to the woman responsible for the cleaning hack, you will have to put in some elbow grease when using it, but it will be worth it in the end!

‘(I) have just polished my kitchen sink using Autosol available at Supercheap Auto — WOW!’ she shared.

'(I) was sick and tired of (my kitchen sink) looking dull — (I needed a) bit of elbow grease involved, but well worth the effort,' she wrote.

Looking at the absolutely shiny result of her work, it’s not a surprise that members wholeheartedly agreed with her:

‘That sink looks so good, if I did this I’d probably cover it up and wouldn’t want to use it. Got to love a gleaming sink!' one impressed commenter said.

Another proactive commenter wasted no time too: 'Sent my husband out to get some while he was on lunch!'

While others said the impressive job the homeowner did on the sink was ‘so satisfying’ as it looked ‘brand new’.

One even shared how she used the product as a former op shop worker who polished electroplated nickel-silver (EPNS) items.

‘This stuff is amazing! If you have dull metal of any kind, use this… Apply with any kind of cloth, polish off with a soft cloth after, like flannelette. I had so much fun doing it,’ they said.

‘Having said that, it’s messy work.’

View attachment 13803
Autosol’s 75 mL Metal Polish retails for $8.35 at Bunnings and $12.99 at Supercheap Auto. Image Credit: Bunnings

Now, some of you might be asking if it’s even safe for use in kitchens. According to the product’s website, Autosol’s metal polish ‘has been declared safe for use around food processing areas’.

Meanwhile, a glance at the reviews of the product on Bunnings’ and Supercheap Auto’s websites reveals that it’s highly regarded for use on other metallic surfaces (we’d like to point out that it’s not for use on brushed stainless steel surfaces).

It has an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars based on 137 reviews left in Supercheap Auto, while it has 4.1 out of 5 stars based on reviews on Bunnings.

View attachment 13824
Giving your sink a good old clean and polish every now and then is a great way to keep your kitchen clean. Image Credit: Seniors Discount Club

Luckily, there are a few reviews about its use on kitchen sinks!

‘Great product to polish stainless steel sinks,’ one reviewer said. ‘(The) sink comes up new and shiny.’

Another added that it removed stains other products would not from their sink.

On the other hand, there was another review saying it was ineffective.

‘I am very disappointed with this product… I tried to polish my kitchen sink with this paste. You will be tired of brushing (or) rubbing it off. There is no amazing shine or glaze after rubbing… This product is useless and doesn't work as described,’ it said.

So what is the verdict? Does Autosol work, or not? Well, based on the before and after photos that the woman posted, it looks like the product definitely did the trick, but it might not be guaranteed in all cases.

That said, it might be worth trying at the very least.

Key Takeaways

• An Aussie homeowner has revealed how she transformed her dull kitchen sink using Autosol Metal Polish.
  • Photos posted by the homeowner show the basin looking sparkling and shiny thanks to the product.
  • Many Facebook users were blown away by the results and impressed by the homeowner’s efforts.
If you have time, you might want to check out related stories on keeping your kitchen spotless, like cleaning expert Mama Mila’s DIY hack or the three places in your kitchen that you should keep an eye on most.

So, what are your thoughts on this latest kitchen sink cleaning tip?

Have you had the chance to use similar products before? Or maybe you have your own tried-and-tested techniques to keep your sink shiny?

Share your opinions and techniques below!
The instructions say to use steel wool to scrub off signs of rust. Wrong! Well, if you use STAINLESS steel wool it is the right thing to do. Steel wool on the other hand will leave small amounts of steel embedded in the surface which will then rust. When using a steel wire brush to clean the welded area of a stainless steel job the same thing happens and in a month or so the brushed area looks dirty, it is rust.

The instructions say to use steel wool to scrub off signs of rust. Wrong! Well, if you use STAINLESS steel wool it is the right thing to do. Steel wool on the other hand will leave small amounts of steel embedded in the surface which will then rust. When using a steel wire brush to clean the welded area of a stainless steel job the same thing happens and in a month or so the brushed area looks dirty, it is rust.
So would you use this product ?

Reactions: Ricci
I’ve used this on my sink, it did make it shinier than my usual bleach and water. However it required a good bit of elbow grease compared to bleach. Can’t say I’d recommend it.

Hello @OldJim! Thank you so much for pointing that out. I've removed the infographic in the meantime and I apologise to any who might have been confused with what was indicated.

For the record, using steel wool indeed isn't recommended for stainless steel as it might lead to further rusting later on due to how it erodes the finish.

I just use good old ajax powder and scrub with a scourer and wipe clean with warm water and dry, very shiny, even stunned my daughter inlaw who spent money on very expensive cleaners when she had to cut corners and found MIL does know stuff.