This traveller's tip silences rowdy passengers on flights

What do you do when you’re on a plane, and you’re sitting next to noisy passengers who just won’t be quiet? From crying toddlers to unexpected fights erupting during a flight, catching a break from rowdy passengers on a plane can seem impossible sometimes.

But this ‘clever traveller’ has a secret weapon up her sleeve – and according to her, it always works.

One traveller has revealed the 'genius' phrase she uses to make noisy passengers on flights quiet down, a trick she alleged ‘always works’.

New Yorker Sam Dean, admitted in a video posted on TikTok that whenever she’s seated next to someone who is being noisy on an aeroplane, she would lie to them and tell them that she has to attend a funeral just to get them to stop being noisy.

She said: ‘Here’s the scam for the girls and the guys.’

plane1.JPG
Sam said she’d used this trick during flights. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

She continued: ‘If you’re ever at a hotel or on aeroplanes... I’ve used this on aeroplanes where people are next to you and are being really loud and rude, and you want to ask them to be quiet, but you don’t want to be a d*** about it.’

‘If you say to them, “Hey, I’m sorry, could you please quiet down, I have to wake up really early for a funeral tomorrow”, every time, they immediately feel so bad, and they would quiet down instantly,’ she revealed.

She also stated that she doesn’t ‘overuse’ the line, opting to only bring it up in moments when she’s in ‘desperate need of sleep’.

‘Sometimes if you ask them to be quiet, they don’t listen, so I’ve used this,’ she said.

Her video, which has been viewed more than 2 million times despite being morbid, was described by many as a ‘genius’ move.

‘This is so smart,’ one said.

‘Immediate vibe killer,’ another replied.

‘My mom did this once and then she proceeded to sob her eyes out for the rest of the flight; her lie was too good,’ someone else revealed. Talk about commitment to the role.

Someone else stated: ‘Or you make sure they know they’re too loud by joining the conversation. “Sorry, why couldn’t Barbara make it to the wedding?”’

‘If only my anxiety would allow me to ask them in the first place,’ one more responded.

One social media user recalled when she had to use this lie while at the gym: ‘A guy was trying to flirt. I was sick and tired. He talked about his holiday & asked me about my trip. Said I went to a funeral. He backed off quick.’

‘As a mortician, I can use this every day while being totally honest,’ one more added.

plane.jpg
Many social media users confessed that they were keen to give this ‘little white lie’ a go. Credit: Marina Hinic/Pexels

However, many of those who have used this excuse before revealed how it backfired sometime after.

‘No, because my mum called in to work once, “for her grandma’s funeral”, and then a few weeks later her grandma actually died and she had to ask again,’ one declared.

Another stated: ‘I literally had to tell someone about the funeral I was going to, and it was 100 per cent true, and she said, “We all have our issues”, and continued to be loud.’

For some, they confessed that they don’t want to speak this energy into existence and didn’t want to lie about death.

‘I don’t believe in lying about death because I’m afraid of karma and this feels like playing with fire,’ one revealed.

‘I’m superstitious. I could never lie about a funeral,’ another responded.

‘I feel like that’s bad karma and you don’t want to put death out in the universe,’ someone else replied.

One more added: ‘I don’t believe in lying about death because I’m afraid of karma and this feels like playing with fire,’ while another said they were too scared to lie about death because they were afraid that somehow, they’d make it happen.

‘I lied about a flight being delayed once; my next one was,’ they added.

You can watch Sam’s video below:

Key Takeaways
  • A traveller has revealed the 'genius' phrase she uses to silence noisy passengers on flights without being rude.
  • The white lie she uses is claiming to have to go to a funeral just to shut them up.
  • Sam says the line works for her 'every time' and has had millions of views and positive comments on her TikTok video.
  • However, many people are superstitious about lying about death and could never use the phrase for fear of it coming true.
Members, if you’re ever in a similar situation, will you give Sam’s tip a go? Or do you have any other ways to deal with rowdy passengers? Let us know in the comments section below!

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Sponsored