This traffic law could cost you big—are you guilty of breaking it?

Navigating the roads is a complex task, with many rules and regulations to keep in mind. But there's one little-known rule that many drivers may unknowingly break—and it could cost you a hefty fine and demerit points.

The rule in question?

It's all about pedestrian crossings.

Most drivers are aware that they must stop for pedestrians at crossings. However, the rule goes a step further than that.

According to drive.com.au, drivers across Australia must wait until pedestrians have completely crossed the road before proceeding through a crossing.

chris-tdl-pSUR8l-wF7o-unsplash.jpg
You could get fined for violating this traffic law. Credit: Unsplash

This rule applies regardless of the type of crossing. Whether it's a zebra crossing, a pelican crossing (a crossing with traffic lights), or an intersection with a ‘Give Way’ or ‘Stop’ sign, drivers must wait for pedestrians to fully cross the road.

At pelican crossings, drivers must wait until pedestrians have completely crossed before driving through unless the crossing is split into two sets of lights.

Similarly, at zebra crossings with a pedestrian refuge in between lanes, drivers must wait for pedestrians to fully cross the road because the refuge is merely an optional stop.

Breaking this rule could result in an on-the-spot fine and up to three demerit points. It's a costly mistake that could also put pedestrians at risk.

The pedestrian crossing rule is designed to protect pedestrians, who are among the most vulnerable road users.

Drivers must also give way to pedestrians if there is a danger of collision, even if there is no marked pedestrian crossing.

The rule requiring drivers to wait until pedestrians have fully crossed the road is part of this broader framework of laws designed to protect pedestrians.

It's a rule that requires patience and respect for pedestrians' right to use the road safely.

The rule also applies to cyclists. Like drivers, cyclists must stop before reaching the pedestrian crossing and allow pedestrians to cross the road safely. They must not proceed until the pedestrians have fully crossed the road.

However, the traffic situation in Australia is stressful.

People who walk in a big city sometimes face a serious problem because of strange and obstructive parking spaces on the same roads used by cars.

Many local pedestrians are worried about these parking spots, considering them quite a hazard.

In a previous story, a Sydneysider took to social media to express her anger over ‘appalling’ parking spaces in their area.

The spaces were taking up the entire footpath, which prevented pedestrians from walking on the side of the road. Read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways

• Drivers in Australia must wait for pedestrians to finish crossing the road before driving through a crossing. Otherwise, they risk a fine and demerit points.
  • The rule applies regardless of the type of pedestrian crossing, whether it is controlled by traffic lights.
  • At pelican crossings with traffic lights, drivers must wait for pedestrians to completely cross unless there is a split in the crossing with two sets of lights.
  • This road rule includes waiting for pedestrians at intersections and where there are 'Give Way' or 'Stop' signs present.
Rules on pedestrians crossing roads may vary per state. You can check your area’s rules on the National Transport Commission’s website here.

Have you ever been caught out by this rule? Or perhaps there are other little-known road rules you think more drivers should be aware of? Share them with us in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
In NZ on holiday last year we were amazed when going to cross the road all the traffic stopped for us. I was chatting to a local saying how surprised we were at this. She said they have to stop otherwise they could be fined up to $1000. Not sure if this was just a local thing or national.

And then there are those delightful people who do not look anywhere but their phones.
I cannot count the number of times I have seen this. They step onto the crossing and their eyes do not move away from the phone screen. That indeed is an accident waiting to happen.
I read a story of someone writing in the Herald Sun viewers column, the bloke was talking about how someone who was looking at their phone while walking along, step off the kerb and got hit by a car. The writer continues " you know how I know he got hit by a car, because it was my car that hit him".

• Wow
Reactions: MariaG
When I did the Police Driving School in Victoria, as a Police Officer: For Children's Crossings ALL people (adults and children) must have left the roadway. For Pedestrian Crossings and crossings at intersections with lights, All people MUST be clear of your vehicle. If you hit a pedestrian then they weren't clear of your vehicle and you have committed an offence. If the law has changed then I consider it revenue raising and no cars would EVER proceed through any city in Australia!!

Navigating the roads is a complex task, with many rules and regulations to keep in mind. But there's one little-known rule that many drivers may unknowingly break—and it could cost you a hefty fine and demerit points.

The rule in question?

Most drivers are aware that they must stop for pedestrians at crossings. However, the rule goes a step further than that.

According to drive.com.au, drivers across Australia must wait until pedestrians have completely crossed the road before proceeding through a crossing.

View attachment 39270

This rule applies regardless of the type of crossing. Whether it's a zebra crossing, a pelican crossing (a crossing with traffic lights), or an intersection with a ‘Give Way’ or ‘Stop’ sign, drivers must wait for pedestrians to fully cross the road.

At pelican crossings, drivers must wait until pedestrians have completely crossed before driving through unless the crossing is split into two sets of lights.

Similarly, at zebra crossings with a pedestrian refuge in between lanes, drivers must wait for pedestrians to fully cross the road because the refuge is merely an optional stop.

Breaking this rule could result in an on-the-spot fine and up to three demerit points. It's a costly mistake that could also put pedestrians at risk.

The pedestrian crossing rule is designed to protect pedestrians, who are among the most vulnerable road users.

Drivers must also give way to pedestrians if there is a danger of collision, even if there is no marked pedestrian crossing.

The rule requiring drivers to wait until pedestrians have fully crossed the road is part of this broader framework of laws designed to protect pedestrians.

It's a rule that requires patience and respect for pedestrians' right to use the road safely.

The rule also applies to cyclists. Like drivers, cyclists must stop before reaching the pedestrian crossing and allow pedestrians to cross the road safely. They must not proceed until the pedestrians have fully crossed the road.

People who walk in a big city sometimes face a serious problem because of strange and obstructive parking spaces on the same roads used by cars.

Many local pedestrians are worried about these parking spots, considering them quite a hazard.

In a previous story, a Sydneysider took to social media to express her anger over ‘appalling’ parking spaces in their area.

The spaces were taking up the entire footpath, which prevented pedestrians from walking on the side of the road. Read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways

• Drivers in Australia must wait for pedestrians to finish crossing the road before driving through a crossing. Otherwise, they risk a fine and demerit points.
  • The rule applies regardless of the type of pedestrian crossing, whether it is controlled by traffic lights.
  • At pelican crossings with traffic lights, drivers must wait for pedestrians to completely cross unless there is a split in the crossing with two sets of lights.
  • This road rule includes waiting for pedestrians at intersections and where there are 'Give Way' or 'Stop' signs present.
Rules on pedestrians crossing roads may vary per state. You can check your area’s rules on the National Transport Commission’s website here.

Have you ever been caught out by this rule? Or perhaps there are other little-known road rules you think more drivers should be aware of? Share them with us in the comments below.
I’ve known about this rule for ever, but what puts me and the pedestrians in danger is the driver/drivers behind and beside me that yell abuse and beep their horns because I’m sitting there waiting for the pedestrians to reach the other side before moving my vehicle. It’s a very dangerous situation to be in especially for a woman of my age.

I read a story of someone writing in the Herald Sun viewers column, the bloke was talking about how someone who was looking at their phone while walking along, step off the kerb and got hit by a car. The writer continues " you know how I know he got hit by a car, because it was my car that hit him".
That must have been so very difficult any driver to deal with.
My grandchildren are sick of my whining and whip cracking when it comes to responsible use of their phones.
It takes a tragedy to wake some people up.

Reactions: Leodalion63
I’ve known about this rule for ever, but what puts me and the pedestrians in danger is the driver/drivers behind and beside me that yell abuse and beep their horns because I’m sitting there waiting for the pedestrians to reach the other side before moving my vehicle. It’s a very dangerous situation to be in especially for a woman of my age.
What is important to concentrate òn making sure that the pedestrians cross safely.
I get tooteď from behind, I look in my ŕear view mirror and lift my left hand and wave at them. I don't know them from a bar of soap. I don't let them tell me how to drive . By that time the pedestrians have crossed safely. I use to get all anxious and that when it happened. Now I just wave to them. Their expressions on their faces are priceless. 🙂

My grandchildren are sick of my whining and whip cracking when it comes to responsible use of their phones.
In Victoria we have adds on tv about all the dangers of while you're driving, the distractions of a mobile phone going off to ringing or sms. Then accidents happens. I know you can look up on line all of the safety adds from wearing seat belts, getting distracted other ways onto mobile phone.
I will leave that with you if you want to do more research and giving you a piece of mind. When my kids got their licence I kept saying to them, you are the one responsible when you get behind the wheel, it is your responsibility if you have mates in your car to get them safely from A to B.
Did they listen to me. No.
They suffered the consequences of their actions only to lose their licence for 8 months.

The rule in question?

View attachment 39270

Key Takeaways

In my 59 years of driving I’ve always obeyed this road rule. Lately though, I’ve been wondering if it had been changed, when no other drivers wait until the pedestrians have made it to the other side. Thank you for confirming that it IS the law. Sue

40km? what state are you in? School zones for me are 25kms. At my current school-( 48 yrs teaching) ours. signs are 25km when children present. There are no crossing zones.
It’s 40 here in Tasmania but I usually drive slower when children are about. You never know when they might come running out in front of you.

'Drivers must also give way to pedestrians if there is a danger of collision, even if there is no marked pedestrian crossing.'

What a load of BS....you would get nowhere quickly....

The rule in question?

View attachment 39270

Key Takeaways

Victoria: can proceed once pedestrian has safely crossed past yr mv on pedestrian/zebra crossings
Flagged school crossing - must wait until the Crossing ‘lollipop’ Guard is back on the footpath before proceeding.

40km? what state are you in? School zones for me are 25kms. At my current school-( 48 yrs teaching) ours. signs are 25km when children present. There are no crossing zones.
40kmh is the limit around schools in Queensland. I don’t know why they don’t change the signage during school holidays - or for that matter while the kids are in class. But specially the holidays.

That was the rule when I got my licence in Victoria over 40 years ago, they must have changed it
If you read the Vic Roads rules. The only crossings that you have to wait for the pedestrian to clear the crossing is at Children's Crossings. The person writing this article has not done their research. They have picked one state again.

The rule in question?

View attachment 39270

Key Takeaways

What about cars that go thru red lights and cross when the walk signal is showing.
I can give heaps of video of this happening.

40kmh is the limit around schools in Queensland. I don’t know why they don’t change the signage during school holidays - or for that matter while the kids are in class. But specially the holidays.
There are always students coming and going as well as part time staff. we have students in high schools who come and go with home study, apart from late arrivals/early departures for appointments. During Holidays staff also run sessions. However my school states "when students present" It's a local road not a major one.

Common sense doesn't seem to have much to do with it. It's probably more about an opportunity for revenue raising.
Yes, I agree with your comments about common sense, but why does every rule get tarred with the ‘revenue raising’ brush. Rules, most of them and especially road rules, are for the safety of people on the roads, in general. If we were the pedestrians in a road accident case and were injured in an accident there would such a hue and cry over the driver not stopping and we would not be saying anything about this so-called Revenue Raising then.

Get real and stop blaming governments over anything and everything, and ignoring our own stupidity and disregard for all rules in general.

Last edited:
Thought “J” walking was cutting across on diagonal, instead of in a short straight line frm kerb to kerb.
Regardless of how you cross the road, without marked crossings.
That then becomes illegal if you cross within sight of a marked crossing.
Not sure how far within sight is :unsure: