This tape hack is ‘life changing’, according to a pro

We’ve all been there looking for the end of the tape roll like a needle in a haystack – the constant tracing of your finger around and around the roll hoping you’ll eventually stumble upon the end. Well, all of that is now a thing of the past!

A film-industry professional has revealed a clever tape hack that could completely change your tape game.

Austin Kay, who posts on his TikTok channel @austindkay, shared this tape hack in his social media account so that it would be easier to find the end of the roll, tear a piece and remove it from the floor.

The clever hack involves peeling and sticking the tape to the length you need, folding it over and then ripping. This creates a tab, meaning you can easily locate the end of the tape roll again.

tape.jpg
This is apparently a standard practice in the film industry. Credit: austindkay/TikTok

‘Instead of tearing it off like this (straight across), what you want to do is peel it to the length you want, fold it over and under itself, it forms a triangle, place your thumb over to hold it and then rip,’ Austin explains in the clip.

tape1.jpg
Austin folded the tape over and under itself. Credit: austindkay/TikTok

He added: ‘And then when it's time to [remove it] you can easily peel them off.’ Before ripping off the tape that was already on the floor.

The hack has proved popular with 3.1 million views so far and lots of positive feedback.

‘I’m a nurse and the amount of time I’ve spent trying to find the end piece of medical tape is insane…thank you for your service!’ One wrote.

‘Whoa. Thank you. My wall painting game is about to change,’ another shared.

A third joked: ‘I was today years old when I learned how not to fight with tape!’

You can watch Austin’s video below:

But of course, taping isn’t just restricted to masking tape. As the comments mentioned above, this can be used in a number of situations.

According to Kristen Morley, who uploaded a video on TikTok, the device that holds packing tape has a built-in feature that helps you to find the end of a roll of tape.

In Kristen's video, she shows how to do this. She just ran the red strip over the tape to locate the end. You can watch her demonstration below:

We also gathered some fun (but a bit unconventional) uses for tape:
  • Cleaning your keyboard: Sticky tape can easily pick up dust from your keyboard, or for best results, slide a thin strip between each row in your keyboard to pick up dirt and crumbs from the sides.
  • Picking up broken glass: If you accidentally break a glass, you can use tape to pick up tiny remnants that were left behind by the vacuum or the dustpan.
  • Checking produce’s freshness: Cut a bit of your produce to check its freshness, and if you think it needs more time, place the area you’ve just cut back into place with tape. We haven’t tried this yet, but it’s said that it won’t interrupt the ripening process of the produce.
  • Repairing frayed shoelaces: If the end of your lace is too frayed to slide through the shoelace hole, make it narrow and tidy again with a piece of tape—it should hold until you replace the laces.
Key Takeaways
  • Austin Kay revealed a tape hack that makes finding the end of the tape roll and removing it from the floor easier.
  • The hack has proved popular with 2.6 million views and lots of positive feedback on Tik Tok.
  • Another way to find the end of a tape roll is to use the built-in feature of the packing tape device.
Members, do you have any brilliant hacks you’d like to share with us? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
We’ve all been there looking for the end of the tape roll like a needle in a haystack – the constant tracing of your finger around and around the roll hoping you’ll eventually stumble upon the end. Well, all of that is now a thing of the past!

A film-industry professional has revealed a clever tape hack that could completely change your tape game.

Austin Kay, who posts on his TikTok channel @austindkay, shared this tape hack in his social media account so that it would be easier to find the end of the roll, tear a piece and remove it from the floor.

The clever hack involves peeling and sticking the tape to the length you need, folding it over and then ripping. This creates a tab, meaning you can easily locate the end of the tape roll again.

View attachment 12810
This is apparently a standard practice in the film industry. Credit: austindkay/TikTok

‘Instead of tearing it off like this (straight across), what you want to do is peel it to the length you want, fold it over and under itself, it forms a triangle, place your thumb over to hold it and then rip,’ Austin explains in the clip.

View attachment 12811

He added: ‘And then when it's time to [remove it] you can easily peel them off.’ Before ripping off the tape that was already on the floor.

The hack has proved popular with 3.1 million views so far and lots of positive feedback.

‘I’m a nurse and the amount of time I’ve spent trying to find the end piece of medical tape is insane…thank you for your service!’ One wrote.

A third joked: ‘I was today years old when I learned how not to fight with tape!’

But of course, taping isn’t just restricted to masking tape. As the comments mentioned above, this can be used in a number of situations.

According to Kristen Morley, who uploaded a video on TikTok, the device that holds packing tape has a built-in feature that helps you to find the end of a roll of tape.

In Kristen's video, she shows how to do this. She just ran the red strip over the tape to locate the end. You can watch her demonstration below:

• Cleaning your keyboard: Sticky tape can easily pick up dust from your keyboard, or for best results, slide a thin strip between each row in your keyboard to pick up dirt and crumbs from the sides.
  • Picking up broken glass: If you accidentally break a glass, you can use tape to pick up tiny remnants that were left behind by the vacuum or the dustpan.
  • Checking produce’s freshness: Cut a bit of your produce to check its freshness, and if you think it needs more time, place the area you’ve just cut back into place with tape. We haven’t tried this yet, but it’s said that it won’t interrupt the ripening process of the produce.
  • Repairing frayed shoelaces: If the end of your lace is too frayed to slide through the shoelace hole, make it narrow and tidy again with a piece of tape—it should hold until you replace the laces.
Key Takeaways

• Austin Kay revealed a tape hack that makes finding the end of the tape roll and removing it from the floor easier.
  • The hack has proved popular with 2.6 million views and lots of positive feedback on Tik Tok.
  • Another way to find the end of a tape roll is to use the built-in feature of the packing tape device.
Members, do you have any brilliant hacks you’d like to share with us? Let us know in the comments!

Just common sense, I've always done it for the past 80 years

View attachment 12810

View attachment 12811

Key Takeaways

Whats wrong with just turning the end over and making a tab?

View attachment 12810

View attachment 12811

Key Takeaways

Old News I worked for 3M Australia back in early 1980s and they were telling us the workers how to do this. Well it was the sales guys from the "sticky tape" division who told us and showed us this way to save your tape. Been doing it ever since. Cheers

Been doing this since l was a lad because my parents did it. Some people however still make things hard for me when they borrow my tapes.

A wide roll of tape can be used to remove dust & fluff from clothing just as a clothes brush or sticky paper rolls are used.