This supermarket's controversial feature further sparks discussion among shoppers

As the retail world continues to evolve, supermarkets have been seeking ways to streamline the customers' shopping experience.

One of the most significant changes in recent years has been the introduction and expansion of self-checkout systems.

These systems, designed to allow customers to scan and pay for their purchases without a cashier's assistance, have been met with mixed reactions.

The latest feature to hit the self-checkout scene is causing quite a stir among shoppers.

The new feature in question is a security measure that would play back footage of customers during their self-checkout transactions.

This innovation aimed to deter theft—which has been on the rise according to Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) figures.

The report showed a 17 per cent increase in retail theft, with a 'steady increase' in 2023.

compressed-coles checkout.jpeg
Coles continues to update their self-service checkout counters to combat theft. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Daria Nipot

Supermarkets like Coles have already implemented this technology to combat the issue. However, it had customers divided.

Some customers appreciated the technological advancements for the sake of security and efficiency.

They saw the usage of CCTVs, electronic article surveillance (EAS), and skip scan technology as a necessary step to protect the store's assets.

These customers valued the quick and easy checkout process, especially when in a rush.

However, a significant portion of the shopping public felt uncomfortable with the level of surveillance at self-service checkouts.

Some shoppers expressed that they felt like supermarket staff rather than customers.

The debate extended beyond privacy concerns to the functionality and staffing of these self-service areas.

A mother and her autistic son shared their self-checkout experience at a Coles supermarket.

The mum shared that the process could have been more intuitive to avoid confusion and the need for further assistance.

With only one supervisor available to help with the mum and her son's issues, customers can be left waiting—which could defeat the purpose of a quick and convenient shopping trip.

The story of the mum and son's encounter with the new self-checkout feature should be a reminder for shoppers across the country.

While technology may be helpful, it is also not foolproof.

Life skills such as shopping and budgeting are essential, and self-checkouts could be a great tool.

However, whenever technology glitches out, it could also lead to frustration and a negative shopping experience.

Supermarkets face the challenge of balancing the need for security with the desire to provide a seamless customer experience.
Key Takeaways

• A mum with her child with special needs shared their experience with the new self-service checkout technology at Coles.
  • Coles' new self-checkout features include CCTV footage of customers doing their transactions, which staff could review at any time.
  • A Coles spokesperson revealed that these security measures, along with electronic article surveillance (EAS) and new skip scan technology, were placed to reduce theft.
  • According to ABS data, retail theft has been on a steady rise since last year, indicating a 17 per cent increase in related incidents.
Are you in favour of the new self-checkout features, or do you long for the days of personal interaction and less surveillance? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I do not like self-service systems already and am not in favour of moves to eliminate express service aisles or the extra surveillance. While alternatives are available, I avoid stores where there is no express aisle. I prefer the assistance of staff to process payments as something usually goes wrong and you need assistance , which is not always available.

Reactions: Hollingworthlake
I do not like self-service systems already and am not in favour of moves to eliminate express service aisles or the extra surveillance. While alternatives are available, I avoid stores where there is no express aisle. I prefer the assistance of staff to process payments as something usually goes wrong and you need assistance , which is not always available.

Well Frederick that’s ok if you have a choice. On my experience you’ve got buckleys chance of choosing. You just have to queue up like the rest cause there’s no option

We were told the other day as my elderly husband and I approached the self serve,after perusing our trolly,MAKE SURE YOU SCAN TJE TOILET PAPER AND BIG BOX OF WATER FIRST OK???What difference is it to them,I can't possibly steel them..... wouldn't all the alarms go.off,the door close on my way out and my trolley wheels lock at Coles???
Is I'd all that just BS to scare us
Instead of offering this "advice" why did the person not offer to scan your groceries for you - no respect for older people who may not be SS savvy