This stovetop trick is dividing the internet — what do you think?

Let’s be honest, we've all been there — you're cooking a meal and things start to get a little messy. Before you know it, your stovetop is covered in splatters and spills.

If you're like most people, you probably reach for a paper towel or sponge and start scrubbing. But what if there was a better way?

One woman recently shared her friend's stovetop set up on Facebook, and it's got people talking…

The woman’s friend covers the entire stovetop with foil, which allegedly helps to keep it mess-free.

‘Saw this at my friend's and found it hilarious’ the woman posted along with a photo of the set-up.

AXQ0SJ5YlmCHZS4DVAfIgDiCOuK9BgOUW0wlYaLP3XAhlb9o4WPyNT67exoaqdnQJW8fKN8HxKAoDrA7OqzJIRBHzzG3eUMEtu0cLXDb6LBBHehnJT9OLUPcyJMikkosVcABzWhaNmFjRfthneP97g

This ‘unique’ stovetop setup has got people talking, with many divided on whether it is practical to cover the area with foil or not. Credit: Facebook.

The idea is that you can simply remove the foil and throw it away when you're done cooking. No scrubbing is required.

Not surprisingly, the post sparked social media debate, with some users jumping quickly to the defence of the friend and arguing that it's a clever solution for those who don't have the time or energy to constantly clean their stovetop.

One user wrote: ‘I feel this in my soul every time my partner cooks. Food everywhere always and never wipes it down when it's liquid still and easy clean.’

‘If it's stupid but it works it ain't stupid,’ another argued.

One person even said that the ‘trick’ is a huge help for those who are suffering from mobility issues and are unable to clean the stovetops right away after cooking.

‘As a carer with chronic pain. I have done this. Need to pick your battles’ the user said.

Several users admitted that they do the ‘foil method’ themselves, saying that they see no issue with it.

One comment read: ‘My ex’s parents did this but also up the walls that surround the stove and then cling wrap on some areas.’

‘My mum used to do this and then wrap each of the cups under each element separately. My mum also puts paper towels under everything even milk in the fridge,’ another shared.

gPoft7-B2goGbbZFI3zVSNKwckKPRWUc4IKGznbwplTOg79ErinVgHdu67YqGN0-PWJbNG3G1PvU8kxb73iqSLxclJ-5eZ_0kQ2UuuwC4_0TLu973SWRzkpZlqFtSrskbaaeVWbHTclEwGyaGOK_9w

Some people pointed out that it’s quicker to wipe the stove tops compared to covering it with foil. Credit: TheSpruce.com.

Others were less than impressed, pointing out that the foil method is wasteful and not particularly attractive.

One person argued: ‘My father-in-law does this 🙄 it's so incredibly wasteful, especially when you think about the fact that aluminium foil takes 400+ years to break down in landfill.’

‘It's like covering the sofa seats with plastic! Not for me thanks,’ another claimed.

A third agreed: ‘Great idea, but I could not handle the look of that in my kitchen.’

Some users even went as far as to say that covering it up with foil takes more time than just wiping it.

‘I'm sure it's quicker to just wipe it down after using it,’ said one user.

Another suggested: ‘If you wipe it right after cooking you don't need elbow grease. And also oil can still seep under it, meaning you still have to clean it anyway.’

So what's the verdict? Is covering your stovetop with foil a genius hack or a lazy shortcut?

There's no right or wrong answer, but we can see both sides of the argument. On the one hand, it's a quick and easy way to keep your stovetop clean. On the other hand, it's not the most environmentally-friendly or attractive option.

At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide what works best for your kitchen. But if you're looking for a hassle-free way to keep your stovetop clean, covering it with foil might be worth a try.

Will you give this trick a go? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Let’s be honest, we've all been there — you're cooking a meal and things start to get a little messy. Before you know it, your stovetop is covered in splatters and spills.

If you're like most people, you probably reach for a paper towel or sponge and start scrubbing. But what if there was a better way?

One woman recently shared her friend's stovetop set up on Facebook, and it's got people talking…

The woman’s friend covers the entire stovetop with foil, which allegedly helps to keep it mess-free.

‘Saw this at my friend's and found it hilarious’ the woman posted along with a photo of the set-up.

AXQ0SJ5YlmCHZS4DVAfIgDiCOuK9BgOUW0wlYaLP3XAhlb9o4WPyNT67exoaqdnQJW8fKN8HxKAoDrA7OqzJIRBHzzG3eUMEtu0cLXDb6LBBHehnJT9OLUPcyJMikkosVcABzWhaNmFjRfthneP97g

This ‘unique’ stovetop setup has got people talking, with many divided on whether it is practical to cover the area with foil or not. Credit: Facebook.

The idea is that you can simply remove the foil and throw it away when you're done cooking. No scrubbing is required.

Not surprisingly, the post sparked social media debate, with some users jumping quickly to the defence of the friend and arguing that it's a clever solution for those who don't have the time or energy to constantly clean their stovetop.

One user wrote: ‘I feel this in my soul every time my partner cooks. Food everywhere always and never wipes it down when it's liquid still and easy clean.’

One person even said that the ‘trick’ is a huge help for those who are suffering from mobility issues and are unable to clean the stovetops right away after cooking.

‘As a carer with chronic pain. I have done this. Need to pick your battles’ the user said.

Several users admitted that they do the ‘foil method’ themselves, saying that they see no issue with it.

One comment read: ‘My ex’s parents did this but also up the walls that surround the stove and then cling wrap on some areas.’

‘My mum used to do this and then wrap each of the cups under each element separately. My mum also puts paper towels under everything even milk in the fridge,’ another shared.

gPoft7-B2goGbbZFI3zVSNKwckKPRWUc4IKGznbwplTOg79ErinVgHdu67YqGN0-PWJbNG3G1PvU8kxb73iqSLxclJ-5eZ_0kQ2UuuwC4_0TLu973SWRzkpZlqFtSrskbaaeVWbHTclEwGyaGOK_9w

Some people pointed out that it’s quicker to wipe the stove tops compared to covering it with foil. Credit: TheSpruce.com.

Others were less than impressed, pointing out that the foil method is wasteful and not particularly attractive.

One person argued: ‘My father-in-law does this 🙄 it's so incredibly wasteful, especially when you think about the fact that aluminium foil takes 400+ years to break down in landfill.’

‘It's like covering the sofa seats with plastic! Not for me thanks,’ another claimed.

A third agreed: ‘Great idea, but I could not handle the look of that in my kitchen.’

Some users even went as far as to say that covering it up with foil takes more time than just wiping it.

Another suggested: ‘If you wipe it right after cooking you don't need elbow grease. And also oil can still seep under it, meaning you still have to clean it anyway.’

So what's the verdict? Is covering your stovetop with foil a genius hack or a lazy shortcut?

There's no right or wrong answer, but we can see both sides of the argument. On the one hand, it's a quick and easy way to keep your stovetop clean. On the other hand, it's not the most environmentally-friendly or attractive option.

At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide what works best for your kitchen. But if you're looking for a hassle-free way to keep your stovetop clean, covering it with foil might be worth a try.

Everyone has ignored the fire risk, aluminium is flammable and burns at a high temperature, used on a gas stove it can cause a blowback under the burners, disastrous

I dont use alfoil but the black BBQ non stick reusable sheet ,cut the holes for jets and then wash and reuse

I don’t do it on the Stove top but I do line my roasting dishes with it and my grilling dish. It does help keep them clean

Not on your Nellie. It should NEVER be used on a gas top. If you are an environment friendly person then don't entertain any kind of flammable material anywhere near gas unless you want to do away with your home in a hurry. Being elderly now, I give myself more time with a roast preparation just in case 'I do a splatter" & need cleaning up time. Plate up what you can (not individually) then do a hot soapy wash over the cooktop. Takes minutes but if you leave until morning you have one big job on your hands. I've slowed down but I'd rather go to bed knowing I don't have to face THAT job in the morning when I get up. Don't worry if your visitors "catch you." Will be nearly all over when you've stated a time. IF they joke & say something, tell them to do it for you. ha ha! My mates would!!! Oh yeah???? But then, I haven't been caught .................YET. Have you????????

Reactions: Ricci

Maybe change to a cooktop like mine that is a flat surface electric unit. Nowhere for the fat and grime to go and just one sheet of kitchen paper cleans it up!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Elbe and Ricci