This simple question from a homebuyer sparked disbelief: ‘I feel so ancient’

A first-time home buyer recently sent Aussies of all generations into a nostalgia run after asking an innocent question.

What was the question about? Well, it involved an obscure wall attachment in their property.

The homebuyer shared the beige-coloured contraption, which they had just spotted in his new home, on social media.

They asked, 'What is this? Have never seen this type of connection in my life. Can anyone enlighten me as to the use of this?'

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 1.40.26 PM.png
A first-time homebuyer asked on social media what this wall attachment is. Credit: Reddit

The comment thread soon became flooded with responses and expressed their disbelief.

'That's it. I'm dead. This is no criticism of you—more of feeling geriatric,' one exasperated user commented.

An Aussie humorously exclaimed, 'I am outraged that I'm being made to feel so ancient. I will write a telegram to the Postmaster-General to complain.’

'[Homebuyer] just made a whole generation feel old. Thanks, hope you are happy.'

But one user kindly explained, ‘It's a phone connection for the old landline.’

‘The phone itself had a plug that fitted in it. They were decommissioned as NBN rolled through.’

The device has the Telecom logo, bringing nostalgia back to a generation before the country’s main telecommunications operator evolved into Telstra.

A spokesperson for Telstra said that the company had 316,000 active home and business landlines across the country as of June this year.

They said this number was in millions three decades ago because ‘almost all homes in the early '90s had a landline phone connection" before households began ditching landlines for mobile phones.’

The spokesperson added while the company no longer sells old-style connectors, they can still provide customers with a ‘handy little adaptor’ to convert their devices if they wish to access the network directly via the original ports.

The spokesperson also provided an informative diagram to illustrate how the adaptors work:

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 1.31.08 PM.png
Telstra showed a diagram of how adaptors work. Credit: Telstra

‘Also, a little fun fact about that particular old-style port, this was a port standard designed and used exclusively in Australia,’ they added.

Key Takeaways
  • A first-time home buyer sparked confusion online after asking what a mysterious wall attachment was.
  • Commenters responded with shock and amusement to the lack of knowledge about the device, which was a phone connection for an old landline.
  • A Telstra spokesperson said the company still had 316,000 active home and business landlines across Australia, down from millions three decades ago.
  • The old-style connectors are no longer sold, but customers with these original ports can still access the network using an adaptor.
Did you have this type of phone connector in your home? How long have you used them? We’d love your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
A first-time home buyer recently sent Aussies of all generations into a nostalgia run after asking an innocent question.

What was the question about? Well, it involved an obscure wall attachment in their property.

The homebuyer shared the beige-coloured contraption, which they had just spotted in his new home, on social media.

They asked, 'What is this? Have never seen this type of connection in my life. Can anyone enlighten me as to the use of this?'

View attachment 35348
A first-time homebuyer asked on social media what this wall attachment is. Credit: Reddit

The comment thread soon became flooded with responses and expressed their disbelief.

'That's it. I'm dead. This is no criticism of you—more of feeling geriatric,' one exasperated user commented.

An Aussie humorously exclaimed, 'I am outraged that I'm being made to feel so ancient. I will write a telegram to the Postmaster-General to complain.’

'[Homebuyer] just made a whole generation feel old. Thanks, hope you are happy.'

‘The phone itself had a plug that fitted in it. They were decommissioned as NBN rolled through.’

The device has the Telecom logo, bringing nostalgia back to a generation before the country’s main telecommunications operator evolved into Telstra.

A spokesperson for Telstra said that the company had 316,000 active home and business landlines across the country as of June this year.

They said this number was in millions three decades ago because ‘almost all homes in the early '90s had a landline phone connection" before households began ditching landlines for mobile phones.’

The spokesperson added while the company no longer sells old-style connectors, they can still provide customers with a ‘handy little adaptor’ to convert their devices if they wish to access the network directly via the original ports.

The spokesperson also provided an informative diagram to illustrate how the adaptors work:

View attachment 35349

‘Also, a little fun fact about that particular old-style port, this was a port standard designed and used exclusively in Australia,’ they added.

Key Takeaways

• A first-time home buyer sparked confusion online after asking what a mysterious wall attachment was.
  • Commenters responded with shock and amusement to the lack of knowledge about the device, which was a phone connection for an old landline.
  • A Telstra spokesperson said the company still had 316,000 active home and business landlines across Australia, down from millions three decades ago.
  • The old-style connectors are no longer sold, but customers with these original ports can still access the network using an adaptor.
Did you have this type of phone connector in your home? How long have you used them? We’d love your stories in the comments below!
I’m staring at the one I have in my rental unit right this minute and the units only 17 years old.😁

View attachment 35348

View attachment 35349

Key Takeaways

Yes, house built 1997 and all landline connections are these, including: NBN box, modem and telephone extensions.

View attachment 35348

View attachment 35349

Key Takeaways

Tell them it's a Brain Extractor and it's already starting to work!

View attachment 35348

View attachment 35349

Key Takeaways

Wow we still have one for the internet as ours is on the old system (copper wire)and the cable comes from the power pole across the road 😳

Just a bit of trivia. In 1901 postal and communication came under the name of PMG (Postmaster General). In 1975 it became Telecom and Australia Post. Then in 1993 Telstra came along. So instead of having one company to complain about we can now share it between two.