This simple parking mistake cost one driver $110 - don't let it happen to you!

We here at the SDC have heard a lot of nightmare stories about hefty fines levied on people for different driving offences, but we never imagined something as simple and innocent as parking could draw such a steep penalty.

It's a lesser-known offence that unfortunately, one driver in Melbourne found out the hard way this week, as they were handed a rather steep $110 fine.

The driver was parking his car on the street when he got into trouble, seemingly without cause… Or so he thought.

He had parked his vehicle no further than 20 centimetres from the side of the road and when compared to other cars parked on the same street, there was no noticeable difference in the parked vehicles.

A photo taken at the scene showed the car was parked slightly crooked, but it was still nowhere near obstructing the safe passage of other vehicles.

0b1a41a3fcf06df1c79a58544c275e79

The driver was fined for this parking job. Credit: Reddit.

'Never seen this infringement before,' he wrote in a Reddit post.

'Seems a bit harsh when looking at how others park on this street. I can accept I could move over further but space has never been a particular issue on our road. I would have appreciated a warning or something.'

The post has captured the attention of more than 400 people, who shared their thoughts on the matter.

Many users said that the fine was unjustified, with one person writing: 'Challenge that. The admin time and expense it would take them, they’ll most likely write it off.'

Another agreed and added: 'I wonder how this got reported? Maybe a garbage truck or some other wide-set council vehicle went past and struggled to squeeze through?'

The driver confirmed that no one had actually reported their car. So, who exactly was issuing the fines around the area? Apparently, an automatic enforcement system was responsible.

It should be noted that the rules for parallel parking on Victorian roads without a dividing line or strip stipulate that the motorist must simply place their car so that there are at least three metres of road clear for others to pass.

Additionally, Queensland, WA, Tasmania, and SA follow the same rules as Victoria, however, drivers in NSW, the ACT, and the Northern Territory must park as near to the kerb as possible and in the same direction as traffic, unless the road is one-way.

Key Takeaways

• A driver in Melbourne was recently issued a $110 fine for not parking close enough to the kerb, even though their car was only 20 centimetres away from the side of the road.
  • The rule for parallel parking on roads without a dividing line in Victoria stipulates that the driver must position their vehicle so there are at least three metres of road clear for others to pass.
  • It is unclear who reported the driver for failing to park close enough to the kerb.
  • Other Australian states also have similar rules for parallel parking, but the exact requirements vary.

What are your thoughts on this? Were the authorities right in penalising the driver or should they have been given a warning? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
We here at the SDC have heard a lot of nightmare stories about hefty fines levied on people for different driving offences, but we never imagined something as simple and innocent as parking could draw such a steep penalty.

It's a lesser-known offence that unfortunately, one driver in Melbourne found out the hard way this week, as they were handed a rather steep $110 fine.

The driver was parking his car on the street when he got into trouble, seemingly without cause… Or so he thought.

He had parked his vehicle no further than 20 centimetres from the side of the road and when compared to other cars parked on the same street, there was no noticeable difference in the parked vehicles.

A photo taken at the scene showed the car was parked slightly crooked, but it was still nowhere near obstructing the safe passage of other vehicles.

'Seems a bit harsh when looking at how others park on this street. I can accept I could move over further but space has never been a particular issue on our road. I would have appreciated a warning or something.'

The post has captured the attention of more than 400 people, who shared their thoughts on the matter.

Many users said that the fine was unjustified, with one person writing: 'Challenge that. The admin time and expense it would take them, they’ll most likely write it off.'

Another agreed and added: 'I wonder how this got reported? Maybe a garbage truck or some other wide-set council vehicle went past and struggled to squeeze through?'

The driver confirmed that no one had actually reported their car. So, who exactly was issuing the fines around the area? Apparently, an automatic enforcement system was responsible.

It should be noted that the rules for parallel parking on Victorian roads without a dividing line or strip stipulate that the motorist must simply place their car so that there are at least three metres of road clear for others to pass.

Additionally, Queensland, WA, Tasmania, and SA follow the same rules as Victoria, however, drivers in NSW, the ACT, and the Northern Territory must park as near to the kerb as possible and in the same direction as traffic, unless the road is one-way.

Key Takeaways

• A driver in Melbourne was recently issued a $110 fine for not parking close enough to the kerb, even though their car was only 20 centimetres away from the side of the road.
  • The rule for parallel parking on roads without a dividing line in Victoria stipulates that the driver must position their vehicle so there are at least three metres of road clear for others to pass.
  • It is unclear who reported the driver for failing to park close enough to the kerb.
  • Other Australian states also have similar rules for parallel parking, but the exact requirements vary.

What are your thoughts on this? Were the authorities right in penalising the driver or should they have been given a warning? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!

Key Takeaways

Key Takeaways

In NSW the rule is "close and parallel" to the kerb. The rule has to be interpreted "reasonably", but I am sure many of us suspect parking rangers to adopt an interpretation convenient to the number of their shift bookings. I recall that several years ago I was booked and fined $185 on this infringement for parking "close and parallel" on the other side of the street. "do the crime, pay the fine".

Key Takeaways

Thats totally outrageous!
This driver certainly ought to contest this fine with is photo!
Perhaps the traffic warden was having a 'bad hair day' in this case an inability to discern appropriatness of the fine.

Reactions: Helenmac
I have seen worse in the streets & shopping centres. A warning may have been more appropriate but could be revenue raising as well to get their quota for the day !

Key Takeaways

Typical of the Victorian Gestapo.

Key Takeaways

Hungry councils.
They're after all they can get.

Key Takeaways

Omg!!! another revenue raising tactic

Reactions: TheBear

Key Takeaways

a lot of road rules nowadays have gone far beyond a joke. how would it be if we gave up using our cars so much and got taxis or such-like and therefore reducing the amount of fuel used so the government "loses out" on revenue, (might bring the cost of fuel down if it's not being sold) less wear and tear on tyres which would hit the tyre makers \ sellers etc which could see them "challenging" the government to do something about it, not so much revenue from speeding and parking fines. Things like that would have some effect, I am not saying that we give up our cars entirely, but, everyone else goes on strike or "work to rule" and penalises the innocent general public \ traveler at the worst moments (Christmas travel etc) the poor motorist has to put up with all that but can't retaliate in any way at all, certainly not fair.

Key Takeaways

On a bitterly cold winter morning, an Irish husband and wife in Dublin were listening to the radio during breakfast.
They heard the announcer say, "We are going to have 8 to 10 inches of snow today. You must park your car on the even-numbered side of the street, so the snow ploughs can get through. "So the good wife went out and moved her car.
A week later while they are eating breakfast again, the radio announcer said, "We are expecting 10 to 12 inches of snow today. You must park your car on the odd-numbered side of the street, so the snow ploughs can get through. "The good wife went out and moved her car again.
The next week they are again having breakfast, when the radio announcer says, "We are expecting 12 to 14 inches of snow today. You must park...." Then the electric power went out. The good wife was very upset, and with a worried look on her face, she said, "I don't know what to do.
Which side of the street do I need to park on so the snow ploughs can get through?"
Then with the love and understanding in his voice that all men who are married to blondes exhibit, the husband replied,
"Why don't you just leave the bloody car in the garage this time."

Key Takeaways