This simple hack will make your clothes smell fresh for weeks!

While winter is still a few months away and summer storms are rampant, it can become difficult to keep our clothes smelling fresh – particularly if mould, dampness, or other odours infiltrate our closets or wardrobe.

Thankfully, one woman’s simple hack for keeping clothes fresh for longer has gone viral.

TikTok user Julia (who goes by @_boringbb_ online) shared the hack with her followers and it has already been viewed more than 600,000 times and liked more than 120,000 times!

The woman revealed that her simple (but effective!) way of keeping clothes smelling great for longer was recommended by her grandmother.

soap1.jpg
Julia and her grandmother often bond over fashion and beauty. Credit: _boringbb_/TikTok

In the video, she explained how she came across this hack while visiting her grandmother. She said that as they were looking through the drawers, she saw bars of wrapped soap in between her grandmother’s clothes.

When she asked her grandmother, she was told that keeping bars inside drawers ‘keeps clothes smelling nice’.

‘I had no idea.’

‘Apparently, if you take a nice neutral wrapped bar of soap, this one is lavender, but you can use cotton or whatever, it will last 15 to 20 years,’ she continued.

Julia said she tried out the hack for a few months and now attests to its effectiveness. ‘My clothes smell amazing. Definitely give it a go,’ she urged her followers. Watch Julia’s video below for the full hack:

Many supported the hack, and one even shared their own version: ‘Fabric perfumes and potpourri bags both last forever too. My clothes always smell good.’

Someone said: ‘I use little bags of dried lavender, which also works really well.’

The hack was even advertised in a fashion blog back in 2013. At the time, the article said this: ‘Place a bar of your favourite scented soap inside your closet or dresser drawers. Not only will this have your clothes smelling fantastic, but you’ll also get a nice, refreshing whiff each time you open a drawer.’

Julia and her grandmother have a strong relationship and the pair often bond over beauty and fashion tips. According to one of her videos, her grandmother dropped out of beauty school when she was younger but had all these beautiful sketches and designs from when she was still in school.

So, Julia took it upon herself to sew some of the designs and bring her grandmother’s dreams to life – albeit in her own way. You can check out one of their heart-warming videos below:

And another one here:

Key Takeaways

• TikTok user Julia has shared a super-simple hack for keeping clothes smelling fresh: placing a bar of wrapped soap in your drawers.
  • Others have suggested using small bags of dried lavender or fabric perfume.
  • Julia often sews her grandmother’s original designs from when she was still in beauty school.
Honestly, I’m a bit jealous of Julia’s sewing skills. Were you aware of this hack? If you have your own quick tips and tricks you’d like to share, feel free to do so in the comments!

Sponsored
While winter is still a few months away and summer storms are rampant, it can become difficult to keep our clothes smelling fresh – particularly if mould, dampness, or other odours infiltrate our closets or wardrobe.

Thankfully, one woman’s simple hack for keeping clothes fresh for longer has gone viral.

TikTok user Julia (who goes by @_boringbb_ online) shared the hack with her followers and it has already been viewed more than 600,000 times and liked more than 120,000 times!

The woman revealed that her simple (but effective!) way of keeping clothes smelling great for longer was recommended by her grandmother.

View attachment 11263
Julia and her grandmother often bond over fashion and beauty. Credit: _boringbb_/TikTok

In the video, she explained how she came across this hack while visiting her grandmother. She said that as they were looking through the drawers, she saw bars of wrapped soap in between her grandmother’s clothes.

When she asked her grandmother, she was told that keeping bars inside drawers ‘keeps clothes smelling nice’.

‘I had no idea.’

‘Apparently, if you take a nice neutral wrapped bar of soap, this one is lavender, but you can use cotton or whatever, it will last 15 to 20 years,’ she continued.

Julia said she tried out the hack for a few months and now attests to its effectiveness. ‘My clothes smell amazing. Definitely give it a go,’ she urged her followers. Watch Julia’s video below for the full hack:

Many supported the hack, and one even shared their own version: ‘Fabric perfumes and potpourri bags both last forever too. My clothes always smell good.’

Someone said: ‘I use little bags of dried lavender, which also works really well.’

The hack was even advertised in a fashion blog back in 2013. At the time, the article said this: ‘Place a bar of your favourite scented soap inside your closet or dresser drawers. Not only will this have your clothes smelling fantastic, but you’ll also get a nice, refreshing whiff each time you open a drawer.’

Julia and her grandmother have a strong relationship and the pair often bond over beauty and fashion tips. According to one of her videos, her grandmother dropped out of beauty school when she was younger but had all these beautiful sketches and designs from when she was still in school.

So, Julia took it upon herself to sew some of the designs and bring her grandmother’s dreams to life – albeit in her own way. You can check out one of their heart-warming videos below:

And another one here:

Key Takeaways

• TikTok user Julia has shared a super-simple hack for keeping clothes smelling fresh: placing a bar of wrapped soap in your drawers.
  • Julia often sews her grandmother’s original designs from when she was still in beauty school.
Honestly, I’m a bit jealous of Julia’s sewing skills. Were you aware of this hack? If you have your own quick tips and tricks you’d like to share, feel free to do so in the comments!

Have put soap in with clothes for years!

View attachment 11263

‘I had no idea.’

And another one here:

Key Takeaways

I thought everyone knew this. I have been doing it all my life. Whenever I get beautiful bars of soap as a gift I place them in my clothes drawers and I am reminded of the special friend every time I open the drawer.

Not unusual to all for something to be placed with clothes to keep them smelling nice. I haven't used soap. My grandmother (born 1905) put her empty perfume bottles in the robe and always smelled great. I use dried lavender bags which her generation also used, and sandlewood wooden balls.

It used to be a thing, whenever we got new fancy smelling soap it went into the drawers, any old soap could then be removed and used. The "aged" soap lasted heaps longer for washing etc. than the new bars would. These days I put the empty reed diffusers in my wardrobe, they still have plenty of smell and will perfume the clothes for months. :)

• Love
Reactions: Phyll
My mum also used to put her empty perfume bottles in the wardrobe & lavender bags in the chest of drawers she would always put the new soap in the airing cupboard with the towels not only to make them smell good but also to harden the soap to make it last longer

Reactions: Phyll and Ricci
Isn't it funny when something 'new' is discovered on TikTok everyone thinks it's amazing.

Like many other on here, I have been doing this all my life. Nothing new here.