This savvy shopper found a way to get fresh produce for next to nothing - you won't BELIEVE how she did it!

It’s no secret that supermarkets in Australia have set standards for retailing fruits and vegetables, which often leads to the rejection of visually unappealing yet perfectly edible produce.

The preference for aesthetically pleasing produce is largely driven by consumer demand, with many shoppers seeking uniform and visually consistent products on their supermarket shelves.

Unfortunately, this trend creates a significant problem of food waste, as farmers are forced to throw away a large amount of produce that doesn't meet supermarket standards, which puts a severe strain on the environment.

However, in recent years, there has been a growing movement towards reducing food waste and embracing ‘ugly’ produce, with several retailers and food rescue organisations in Australia have taken steps to sell or redistribute this produce.

One of these retailers, Funky Food AU, has become popular for its food delivery service that offers fresh but imperfect fruits and vegetables at a reduced price.

This initiative has gained the attention of many consumers who are seeking to save money on their grocery bills, particularly as the cost of living continues to rise.

Many shoppers even take to social media to share their purchases from Funky Food AU, claiming it's the best way to get fresh produce without spending too much money.

330484183_747286130246301_6815807099560305852_n.jpg
The shopper shared a photo of her purchase, pointing out how she saves money by shopping for ‘ugly’ produce. Credit: Markdown Addicts Australia/Facebook.

‘First funky food box and we will definitely get it again,’ one customer wrote in a post on the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook group.

The user also shared a photo of her haul, which included a range of fruits and vegetables, such as broccoli, tomato, sweet potato, corn, cucumber, capsicum, avocado, banana, orange, apples, baby pineapple, and many more.

And the best thing about her purchase? It only set her back $70!

‘This would cost me around $110 to $120 if I purchased these from Coles and Woolworths,’ she continued.

The shopper also added that her order was conveniently delivered to her home.

‘It is so incredibly fresh and 100 per cent worth the money!’

Many group members also shared their experience purchasing from the retailer.

One user wrote: ‘Yes, I've ordered from them too. It's a fantastic service! So much imperfect perfect produce saved!’

‘We buy the small box and it lasts us 2 weeks!’ Another added.

A third chimed in: ‘What I love about these boxes is that it gives you variety. It usually contains in-season fruits so if you are not sure of purchasing them as the price per kilogram scares you, this is a great alternative.’

‘Great way to get families to eat variety and a great way to get farmers to sell their odd-shaped goods.’

However, there’s a caveat that many shoppers should know — Funky Food AU only offers its services in select locations in Queensland.

Fortunately for bargain hunters, other discount retailers have stepped up to offer similar services in other states.

One user pointed out: ‘Dirty Clean Food has a similar style service which is WA based.’

Good and Fugly as well for Melbourne and Sydney,’ another shared.

A third recommendation: ‘If you’re in Adelaide, try Heart and Soul Group. You get that much, plus bakery for $15 delivered.’

‘I get Farmers Pick and it's great, up to 30% cheaper than other supermarkets. I think they are available in NSW and VIC,’ another suggested.

‘You get what's in season from farmers, so supporting farmers and saving the fruit and veg from landfill.’

Other group members also mentioned the following companies, which offer similar services:

Key Takeaways
  • Supermarkets in Australia often reject visually unappealing yet perfectly edible produce, leading to huge amounts of food waste.
  • In recent years, several retailers and food rescue organisations have taken steps to reduce food waste by selling or redistributing this ‘ugly’ produce.
  • Funky Food AU is one such retailer that has become popular for its delivery services which offer fresh but imperfect fruits and vegetables at reduced prices.
  • Discount retailers such as Dirty Clean Food, Good and Frugly, Heart and Soul Group, Farmers Pick, Box Divvy, Fruit and Veg 2U, Just Ripe Fruit & Veg Northland, and Veggie Boxes offer similar services in various states across Australia.

There you have it, folks! The perfect shape and presentation of supermarket fruit and veg may be aesthetically pleasing to some, but let’s be honest - if you’re looking for the best bang for your buck, it might be wise to think twice before committing to expensive, perfectly shaped produce.

Moreover, you’ll be helping to reduce food waste and supporting local farmers - a win-win!

Members, have you tried any of these services before? Better yet, do you know other companies that offer similar services in your area? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
It’s no secret that supermarkets in Australia have set standards for retailing fruits and vegetables, which often leads to the rejection of visually unappealing yet perfectly edible produce.

The preference for aesthetically pleasing produce is largely driven by consumer demand, with many shoppers seeking uniform and visually consistent products on their supermarket shelves.

Unfortunately, this trend creates a significant problem of food waste, as farmers are forced to throw away a large amount of produce that doesn't meet supermarket standards, which puts a severe strain on the environment.

However, in recent years, there has been a growing movement towards reducing food waste and embracing ‘ugly’ produce, with several retailers and food rescue organisations in Australia have taken steps to sell or redistribute this produce.

One of these retailers, Funky Food AU, has become popular for its food delivery service that offers fresh but imperfect fruits and vegetables at a reduced price.

This initiative has gained the attention of many consumers who are seeking to save money on their grocery bills, particularly as the cost of living continues to rise.

Many shoppers even take to social media to share their purchases from Funky Food AU, claiming it's the best way to get fresh produce without spending too much money.

View attachment 14846
The shopper shared a photo of her purchase, pointing out how she saves money by shopping for ‘ugly’ produce. Credit: Markdown Addicts Australia/Facebook.

‘First funky food box and we will definitely get it again,’ one customer wrote in a post on the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook group.

The user also shared a photo of her haul, which included a range of fruits and vegetables, such as broccoli, tomato, sweet potato, corn, cucumber, capsicum, avocado, banana, orange, apples, baby pineapple, and many more.

‘This would cost me around $110 to $120 if I purchased these from Coles and Woolworths,’ she continued.

One user wrote: ‘Yes, I've ordered from them too. It's a fantastic service! So much imperfect perfect produce saved!’

A third chimed in: ‘What I love about these boxes is that it gives you variety. It usually contains in-season fruits so if you are not sure of purchasing them as the price per kilogram scares you, this is a great alternative.’

‘Great way to get families to eat variety and a great way to get farmers to sell their odd-shaped goods.’

However, there’s a caveat that many shoppers should know — Funky Food AU only offers its services in select locations in Queensland.

Fortunately for bargain hunters, other discount retailers have stepped up to offer similar services in other states.

One user pointed out: ‘Dirty Clean Food has a similar style service which is WA based.’

A third recommendation: ‘If you’re in Adelaide, try Heart and Soul Group. You get that much, plus bakery for $15 delivered.’

‘I get Farmers Pick and it's great, up to 30% cheaper than other supermarkets. I think they are available in NSW and VIC,’ another suggested.

‘You get what's in season from farmers, so supporting farmers and saving the fruit and veg from landfill.’

Other group members also mentioned the following companies, which offer similar services:

Key Takeaways

• Supermarkets in Australia often reject visually unappealing yet perfectly edible produce, leading to huge amounts of food waste.
  • In recent years, several retailers and food rescue organisations have taken steps to reduce food waste by selling or redistributing this ‘ugly’ produce.
  • Funky Food AU is one such retailer that has become popular for its delivery services which offer fresh but imperfect fruits and vegetables at reduced prices.
  • Discount retailers such as Dirty Clean Food, Good and Frugly, Heart and Soul Group, Farmers Pick, Box Divvy, Fruit and Veg 2U, Just Ripe Fruit & Veg Northland, and Veggie Boxes offer similar services in various states across Australia.

There you have it, folks! The perfect shape and presentation of supermarket fruit and veg may be aesthetically pleasing to some, but let’s be honest - if you’re looking for the best bang for your buck, it might be wise to think twice before committing to expensive, perfectly shaped produce.

Moreover, you’ll be helping to reduce food waste and supporting local farmers - a win-win!

Members, have you tried any of these services before? Better yet, do you know other companies that offer similar services in your area? Share them with us in the comments below!
I have bought Funky Food before and found it excellent, however Funky Food themselves said they were having some problems with their delivery chain. They were proactively looking to take over delivery themselves, in air conditioned vans at that time. I don’t know why I haven’t gone with them again. Thank you for the reminder!

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 14846

Key Takeaways

Hi there is there a place like this in Cairns queensland to support farmers thank you
Cheers
Valerie

I just looked at Good n fugly as well as box divvy and fruit n veg to U and it was more expensive than the supermarkets 😩

• Sad

View attachment 14846

Key Takeaways

Great for those who live in qld. Any in NSW