This pub owner’s bizarre keg-chasing tale is a barrel of laughs

One morning, 56-year-old pub owner Dan McCallion was gearing up for another full day of work ahead when he heard one of his 50-litre kegs rattle outside.

You see, earlier in the day, he stored them outside for a local supplier to collect them and fill them up with beer.

The winds were unusually strong that day, so after quick consideration, he decided what to do next.

‘I knew it was too early for a delivery, so I ran out,’ he said.

What he saw would be enough to give any person a shock: his kegs were barrelling down the street at full speed!

'It's very steep so I realised I had to get them. I was looking ahead and could see they were heading to a busy road.’
After the surprising sight, Dan gave chase to the runaway barrels.

Screenshot_6.png
The sound of the metal kegs hitting the ground gave them away to pub owner Dan McCallion. Credit: Dailymotion

Don’t worry, strenuous leg work is nothing new for the pub owner, who counts cycling among his hobbies!

'I thought it could have done severe damage to parked cars or caused a crash if I hadn't stopped them.’
Dan did his best to catch up, even crossing a street (looking both ways as he ran, believe it or not!). And when he did…

'I went down to grab one and lost my footing. I grabbed it and got it stopped and then I threw my leg out and stopped the other one.’

After a tumble on the pavement, he was able to stop the kegs from causing any harm or damage.

'It was just pure relief that they hadn't caused any damage.’

Unfortunately, despite the successful impromptu retrieval operation the pub owner pulled, he was left with a bruised shoulder and a nasty ankle sprain for his efforts.

But ever the champ, Dan brushed it all off.

'I've had a few knocks off my bike so I'm used to falling. It was no bother to me to go down and get them.

The whole incident was caught on CCTV — flailing limbs included!

As the pain and adrenaline faded, Dan found he was in for a view of his short adventure.

‘I only started laughing when we put the video together. It's funny to watch it back.'

Screenshot_5.png
Dan (top right) took a tumble when he grabbed one keg as it sped down a slope. Credit: Dailymotion

All good Dan! Considering the number of ways this story could have ended worse, we’re glad you can have a chuckle, albeit at your own expense.

Unsurprisingly, many people heaped praises on the quick-thinking bar owner online.

‘Well done Daniel! Going way above and beyond the call of duty,’ one person said.

A second one chimed in: ‘He may possibly have saved lives, no joke. Very impressive!’

‘Is he alright?' asked a third. 'I’d bet he’s had a barrel of laughs after that!’

Key Takeaways

• Dan McCallion, 56, had stacked empty barrels outside his pub during strong winds.
  • However when he heard a 'rattle' he went to investigate and was forced to sprint after them as they hurtled down a heavily-sloping street.
  • McCallion, who is also a cyclist, trips over one and falls to the floor as he brings one 15kg drum to a halt and manages to stop the second with one of his flailing legs.
  • He sprained his ankle in the incident, but says he's relieved and amused he managed to catch the runaway kegs
Maybe a barrel of painkillers too… kidding!

If you’re looking for a laugh or two, you may want to check this story of funny reasons why some toddlers have cried or these hilarious pictures taken at just the right time.

What are your thoughts on Dan’s hilarious keg-chasing escapade? Tell us your thoughts and reactions below!

Source: Dailymotion

Sponsored
I similar thing happened to me but on a far heavier scale, with the escape of a MASSIVELY HEAVY concrete well liner. I was only about seventeen and not long out of school ( I was the one required to stand in the bucket and go down deep into the well each morning, to dig out). The well was for a client living on an extremely steep hill in a suburb called Clontarf in Perth W.A Everyone was well aware that the massively heavy five-foot diameter reinforced concrete well liners, needed to be securely chocked with 4x4 lumps of wood. A new guy grabbed one from underneath one as i had asked him for a bit of wood to use, to thump something. Not only did he reach for the closest lump but unfortunately, the delivery truck which had started to exit, needed to reverse a couple of feet back again. it slightly bumped a secured well liner and that shudder, transferred through two others chocked in place, to the other one I raced and placed the chock back but it just steam rolled over it. All I/we could do, as the boss wasn't there, was to scream out LOOK OUT! at the top of our voices and watch it gathering speed as it rolled down the hill. As we stood there screaming, I recall that I pressed both palms together and prayed as it gathered momentum and bounced down the hill at great speed obliterating letter boxes and the like, that no creature or vehicle would be injured or worse! I especially prayed that way down at the bottom of this very steep hill, that no car turned the corner and that it didn't hit and harm the house that was directly in front of it, way down there. Luckily it slowed down going into through and over a huge mound of sand on someone's front Lawn, it then caved into and run halfway up a small tree, dropped, spun a bit, thudded into a lamppost causing heaps of sparks and then rested alongside a brick fence... I was the scariest thing I had ever watched happen in front of me and more so because I was partially involved in the mayhem because i had told the new guy to get me a decent lump of wood, which he did. No lifeforms, vehicles or major property damaged THANK GOD.. It was however, our last day of working there.

I similar thing happened to me but on a far heavier scale, with the escape of a MASSIVELY HEAVY concrete well liner. I was only about seventeen and not long out of school ( I was the one required to stand in the bucket and go down deep into the well each morning, to dig out). The well was for a client living on an extremely steep hill in a suburb called Clontarf in Perth W.A Everyone was well aware that the massively heavy five-foot diameter reinforced concrete well liners, needed to be securely chocked with 4x4 lumps of wood. A new guy grabbed one from underneath one as i had asked him for a bit of wood to use, to thump something. Not only did he reach for the closest lump but unfortunately, the delivery truck which had started to exit, needed to reverse a couple of feet back again. it slightly bumped a secured well liner and that shudder, transferred through two others chocked in place, to the other one I raced and placed the chock back but it just steam rolled over it. All I/we could do, as the boss wasn't there, was to scream out LOOK OUT! at the top of our voices and watch it gathering speed as it rolled down the hill. As we stood there screaming, I recall that I pressed both palms together and prayed as it gathered momentum and bounced down the hill at great speed obliterating letter boxes and the like, that no creature or vehicle would be injured or worse! I especially prayed that way down at the bottom of this very steep hill, that no car turned the corner and that it didn't hit and harm the house that was directly in front of it, way down there. Luckily it slowed down going into through and over a huge mound of sand on someone's front Lawn, it then caved into and run halfway up a small tree, dropped, spun a bit, thudded into a lamppost causing heaps of sparks and then rested alongside a brick fence... I was the scariest thing I had ever watched happen in front of me and more so because I was partially involved in the mayhem because i had told the new guy to get me a decent lump of wood, which he did. No lifeforms, vehicles or major property damaged THANK GOD.. It was however, our last day of working there.
You sure know how to get hearts racing @Pink lion! Glad things turned out as well as could be!!

Reactions: Ricci