This pro cleaner's kit might surprise you - find out what she uses (and doesn't use) for amazing results!

Here at the SDC, we are all quite aware of how important it is to keep a clean and tidy home.

Not only does it make your place look great when unexpected guests drop by, but studies have shown that living in a neat and orderly environment can improve our mental well-being, too.

But of course, we also understand that with the hundreds and hundreds of cleaning items and tools on the market these days, it can be difficult to know which ones work and which are a waste of time (and money).

Thankfully, an Aussie cleaning pro is here to help us cut through the noise and decide which cleaning products live up to their names.

The woman behind the social media account, Spot on Cleaning Sydney, recently gave us all a tour of her everyday cleaning supplies and what she uses them for – and we have to say, we were pretty surprised by some of her choices!

For example: did you know that one popular cleaning staple (that almost all of us have at home) is something she leaves out altogether?

Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 2.17.11 PM.png
A professional cleaner revealed some of her must-haves when cleaning homes. Credit: TikTok.

What's in her kit?

The Sydney-based cleaner revealed that she organises her must-have items into separate caddies depending on where they'll be used around the house – one each for the bathroom and the kitchen. She also has a separate bucket for heavy-duty items such as methylated spirits.

Surprisingly, there was one common household product noticeably absent from any of these collections: vinegar! When asked why, she explained that she and her clients do not like its smell, despite its proven cleaning properties.

Understandable! We can think of plenty of other things with strong smells (eucalyptus oil, anyone?) that some people aren't keen on using either.

So what else does she recommend keeping in your home cleaning kits? Let's take a closer look…

For her bathroom caddy, she makes sure she has the following:
  • Multi-purpose spray
  • Grout cleaner
  • White King toilet cleaner
  • Barkeepers friend
  • Microfibre cloths
  • Glass cloths
  • Non-scratch scourers
  • Grout brush
  • Squeegee
And for her kitchen caddy, she always has these on hand:
  • Multi-purpose spray
  • Morning Fresh dishwashing liquid
  • Degreaser
  • Floor product for tiles
  • Scrub Daddy
  • Non-scratch scourer
And these are what's included in her heavy-duty bucket:
  • Methylated spirits
  • 30 Seconds mould remover
  • Skoosh heavy duty
  • Screwdriver
  • Scourers
  • Bin bags

Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 2.16.52 PM.png
You know best what tools you need for a cleaning session to go well and get things done. Credit: Clean My Space. (Stock photo)

Remember, these are just the basics – you can always add or remove items depending on your own needs and preferences.

What should you never use?

To go along with her list of recommended products, the pro cleaner also shared four items that she believes homeowners should ditch altogether in favour of more effective (and safer) alternatives.
  • Avoid using Ajax spray n' wipe and Windex; use Morning Fresh washing-up liquid mixed with water instead.
  • Avoid using Easy Off soap scum spray; use Bar Keepers Friend instead.
  • Avoid using White King two-in-one mould and soap scum spray; use Selley's rapid mould killer instead.

So there you have it – a few simple tips to take your home cleaning game up a notch, courtesy of a professional! We hope you found this article helpful, members. If you have any of your cleaning tips and tricks that you'd like to share, be sure to leave a comment below!

Sponsored
That Selleys rapid mould killer is remarkable. 2-3 minutes then rinse or wipe off. Pro cleaners use it.
I've always used non toxic Castile liquid soap diluted with water in a spray bottle for wiping kitchen benches. Will replace it with my dishwashing liquid & give it a try to see if it's just as effective.
Another outstanding product I love is Jif cream cleanser. It's the No.1 cream cleanser in the UK. It removes stains, grease & polishes. It makes the kitchen sink & taps shiny. Ditto for the bathroom hand basin & taps.
I have a new hand held steam cleaner now which is chemical free for cleaning around the home. So far, it's great.

There are probably as many favourite or preferred cleaners as there are people. Everyone has their own ideas about what works for them and that's fine. I have tried to change over to making my own cleaners after reading all the comments on here, it's a work in progress but I'm sure loving not spending quite as much on cleaning materials.:)

There are probably as many favourite or preferred cleaners as there are people. Everyone has their own ideas about what works for them and that's fine. I have tried to change over to making my own cleaners after reading all the comments on here, it's a work in progress but I'm sure loving not spending quite as much on cleaning materials.:)
Yes, everybody loves what suits them. The only cleaner that doesn't work for me is vinegar. I've tried it over the years, but not much success for me personally.

Reactions: Ricci
I have to use natural cleaners as I get contact dermatitis. I found that the natural bathroom cleaner was leaving a residue on my basin and vanity, so I tried my natural dishwashing liquid (currently using Abode brand) and it cleans perfectly! I also use it to clean my kitchen benches and stovetop.

Morning Fresh is a wonder cleaner - works for far more than the dishes - stove tops, vinyl floors, paintwork if you have window-sills or old painted walls, cupboards etc, melamine benches & cupboard doors, all sorts!
Beware of some "creme" cleaners - rub a bit between your fingers, and discover how gritty some of them actually are - great for taps, stainless steel, oven shelves, etc, but never use on anything which might scratch, eg melamine - bad news, lol!
For porcelain or acrylic bathroom stuff - baths, basins, shower bases, etc try Shower Power - spray on, leave a few minutes, and even serious grot wipes off with 2 or 3 wipes - saves on elbow grease big time, and doesn't stink either!
Mould - anything with bleach in it generally doesn't actually kill the mould, it only bleaches it! you need something acid to kill it - vinegar is great. Smell? Yes, when it is wet, but the smell disappears once it is dry, which is pretty quickly! Open the window, or put the exhaust fan on if necessary. Always buy it from the food section of the supermarket - it's the same stuff as the cleaning vinegar, but when they call it food, it doesn't have GST added. When they call it cleaning vinegar, it has GST added!!!!!!!!!!! Save your 10%!

I particularly like the fabric softener and water for bathroom benches glass and ceramics + mirrors

Yes, everybody loves what suits them. The only cleaner that doesn't work for me is vinegar. I've tried it over the years, but not much success for me personally.
I use vinegar on water scale stains, as its acid removes calcium. I leave a soaked cloth for a short while to get a shiny sink.

I have found KOH all purpose cleaner great. I use it on all benches, cupboards, floors with appropriate mop, stove, oven. You name it it will clean. Start with kit then buy what is needed. Also Australian made and gentle to the environment.

That Selleys rapid mould killer is remarkable. 2-3 minutes then rinse or wipe off. Pro cleaners use it.
I've always used non toxic Castile liquid soap diluted with water in a spray bottle for wiping kitchen benches. Will replace it with my dishwashing liquid & give it a try to see if it's just as effective.
Another outstanding product I love is Jif cream cleanser. It's the No.1 cream cleanser in the UK. It removes stains, grease & polishes. It makes the kitchen sink & taps shiny. Ditto for the bathroom hand basin & taps.
I have a new hand held steam cleaner now which is chemical free for cleaning around the home. So far, it's great.
Jif cleanser leaves a powdery residue, haven't used it in years

Reactions: Penny4 and Ricci