This photo reveals the dark side of Australia's 'cashless future'

The transition to a cashless society has been hailed as a step towards a more efficient and streamlined economy. However, a single photo has sparked a heated debate among Australians, exposing the hidden costs and potential pitfalls of this shift.

The image, shared on social media, shows a shop sign detailing the transaction fees on card purchases, prompting a call to arms for consumers to 'use cash or risk losing it and pay ever-higher charges to the banks’.

The sign, posted by Nathan Priestley on the 'Cash is King' group on social media, reads: 'Unfortunately, due to rising credit/debit and Eftpos (Electronic funds transfer at point of sale) card fees, we will be imposing a surcharge on all card transactions.'

The surcharge, it explains, is not greater than the cost of accepting cards as a payment method.

Screenshot 2024-01-04 115954.png
The post gathered strong reactions online for its views opposing the push towards a cashless society. Image: Facebook

The post has ignited a fierce debate among Australians, many of whom are concerned about the implications of a cashless society.

The sign details that a Mastercard credit card will have a surcharge added of 1.56 per cent of the purchase price, and 1.07 per cent will go on the brand's debit cards.

Visa users will be lumped with a 1.67 per cent charge for using the credit card and 0.74 for the debit, while EFTPOS users will be slugged an extra 0.24 per cent.

Priestley, who spotted the sign, told a news source that such signs are common in shops around his area. He prefers to use cash as it benefits the banks less.

'I always try to because the bank fees are a joke,' he said.

'They make interest off your money that you have in the bank and then every time you use your card, the banks are just ripping everyone blind.'

The sentiment was echoed by other social media users.

'Why would you want to make banks richer for?' one comment asked. 'Really people wake up to yourselves. Cash is king keep using it.'

In April, payments expert and Next Payments CEO Tim Wildash called out the fees banks were charging, especially for contactless payments, as 'disgraceful'.

'I think tap and go has a lot to answer for,' he told a news source.

'It is obviously very convenient but it also very expensive, every time you tap and go you are wide open to being used how the banks would like you to be used and that’s via the schemes so they can make more money.'

When a customer uses tap-and-go, banks charge a fee that ranges from 1.1 per cent to 2 per cent of the purchase price, whereas for Eftpos a maximum fee of .5 per cent is charged.

The Impact on Small Businesses

The transition to a cashless society has put small businesses in a bind. On one hand, customers expect the convenience of card payments. On the other hand, the fees associated with these transactions can eat into their profits.

Matthew Addison, chair of the Council of Small Business, suggested that banks should assist businesses in installing payment machines that automatically applied a least-cost routing system, which made buying as cheap as possible.

'The banks really need to get behind this and make it simple for business to adopt and simple to understand,' Mr Addison said.

'If we can keep the costs of doing business down that means the business doesn’t have to increase their prices.’

How to Protect Yourself

While the shift towards a cashless society seems inevitable, consumers can take steps to protect themselves from excessive fees. Wildash advised consumers to check how much they were being charged to use their own money by looking at receipts.

He also suggested that consumers with the Eftpos logo on the back of their cards should demand to use Eftpos, which could save them up to 1.9 per cent on each transaction.

However, there was still only one certain way to avoid all fees.

'The best way is cash, there is no surcharging on cash,' Mr Wildlash said.

Key Takeaways

• A shop sign has sparked debate on social media by highlighting the surcharges for different card transactions, increasing concerns about a cashless society.
  • The sign urges customers to use cash to avoid paying higher transaction fees to banks and preserve the option of cash transactions in the market.
  • Business owners and customers express frustration over the fees imposed by banks for card payments, which can significantly impact small businesses and consumer costs.
  • Experts advocate for least-cost routing systems to reduce business expenses and advise customers on ways to minimize or avoid surcharges altogether, with cash payments remaining the only way to completely evade additional fees.

The debate over the transition to a cashless society is far from over. As consumers and businesses grapple with the hidden costs of digital payments, the call to 'use cash or risk losing it' is likely to grow louder.

What are your thoughts on this issue? Have you experienced high fees due to card transactions? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
The transition to a cashless society has been hailed as a step towards a more efficient and streamlined economy. However, a single photo has sparked a heated debate among Australians, exposing the hidden costs and potential pitfalls of this shift.

The image, shared on social media, shows a shop sign detailing the transaction fees on card purchases, prompting a call to arms for consumers to 'use cash or risk losing it and pay ever-higher charges to the banks’.

The sign, posted by Nathan Priestley on the 'Cash is King' group on social media, reads: 'Unfortunately, due to rising credit/debit and Eftpos (Electronic funds transfer at point of sale) card fees, we will be imposing a surcharge on all card transactions.'

The surcharge, it explains, is not greater than the cost of accepting cards as a payment method.

View attachment 38623
The post gathered strong reactions online for its views opposing the push towards a cashless society. Image: Facebook

The post has ignited a fierce debate among Australians, many of whom are concerned about the implications of a cashless society.

The sign details that a Mastercard credit card will have a surcharge added of 1.56 per cent of the purchase price, and 1.07 per cent will go on the brand's debit cards.

Visa users will be lumped with a 1.67 per cent charge for using the credit card and 0.74 for the debit, while EFTPOS users will be slugged an extra 0.24 per cent.

Priestley, who spotted the sign, told a news source that such signs are common in shops around his area. He prefers to use cash as it benefits the banks less.

'They make interest off your money that you have in the bank and then every time you use your card, the banks are just ripping everyone blind.'

'Why would you want to make banks richer for?' one comment asked. 'Really people wake up to yourselves. Cash is king keep using it.'

In April, payments expert and Next Payments CEO Tim Wildash called out the fees banks were charging, especially for contactless payments, as 'disgraceful'.

'It is obviously very convenient but it also very expensive, every time you tap and go you are wide open to being used how the banks would like you to be used and that’s via the schemes so they can make more money.'

When a customer uses tap-and-go, banks charge a fee that ranges from 1.1 per cent to 2 per cent of the purchase price, whereas for Eftpos a maximum fee of .5 per cent is charged.

The transition to a cashless society has put small businesses in a bind. On one hand, customers expect the convenience of card payments. On the other hand, the fees associated with these transactions can eat into their profits.

Matthew Addison, chair of the Council of Small Business, suggested that banks should assist businesses in installing payment machines that automatically applied a least-cost routing system, which made buying as cheap as possible.

'The banks really need to get behind this and make it simple for business to adopt and simple to understand,' Mr Addison said.

'If we can keep the costs of doing business down that means the business doesn’t have to increase their prices.’

How to Protect Yourself

While the shift towards a cashless society seems inevitable, consumers can take steps to protect themselves from excessive fees. Wildash advised consumers to check how much they were being charged to use their own money by looking at receipts.

He also suggested that consumers with the Eftpos logo on the back of their cards should demand to use Eftpos, which could save them up to 1.9 per cent on each transaction.

Key Takeaways

• A shop sign has sparked debate on social media by highlighting the surcharges for different card transactions, increasing concerns about a cashless society.
  • The sign urges customers to use cash to avoid paying higher transaction fees to banks and preserve the option of cash transactions in the market.
  • Business owners and customers express frustration over the fees imposed by banks for card payments, which can significantly impact small businesses and consumer costs.
  • Experts advocate for least-cost routing systems to reduce business expenses and advise customers on ways to minimize or avoid surcharges altogether, with cash payments remaining the only way to completely evade additional fees.

The debate over the transition to a cashless society is far from over. As consumers and businesses grapple with the hidden costs of digital payments, the call to 'use cash or risk losing it' is likely to grow louder.

What are your thoughts on this issue? Have you experienced high fees due to card transactions? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.
I got stung a few times, wasn’t told till I was looking at my receipt what the extra cost was, was I pissed 😡 you bet, so I changed my banking institution, and now I have an “e” for eftpos on the back of my bankcard, not that I use it often because I prefer cash

I get so cross about all this. Small businesses bitch about losing money but they impose regulations like making you use plastic instead of cash. My grandkids loved the small local bakery near me. Their favourite treat is to take a few dollars cash up there each and buy a few sweet treats. Not anymore. Card only. How are young kids meant to cope? I’m damned if I’m handing over my card for them to use….what’s the alternative? We have been screaming about this for years but no one is listening. My son even swipes his phone to pay for things! Gives me the cold horrors.

We definitely need cash forever . The banks are greedy and most now very unhelpful . Why does the Reserve bank head off tell us cash in going , these people are just bullies over & over and us older generation have very little say . Let us all protest over the greedy supermarket and banks

A lot of cafe's now have signs up saying there is a surcharge for using cards. However, one cafe I went into, the lady in front of me tried to pay cash for her purchases and the cafe refused. I wont' go back there.
That's the only way to fight the introduction of a cashless society. I will NEVER go back to a business that accepts card only.
40 years ago I had a dispute with WESTAC and to this day have not set foot in any branch.

We definitely need cash forever . The banks are greedy and most now very unhelpful . Why does the Reserve bank head off tell us cash in going , these people are just bullies over & over and us older generation have very little say . Let us all protest over the greedy supermarket and banks
So many people talk about doing this, but when it comes to the crunch do nothing, except complain which gets us nowhere.
We need our government to step up and stop this and also put constraints on the fees banks can charge.
How can they say the fees are to cover their costs when they have already saved these costs PLUS from all the staff they have sacked.

I get so cross about all this. Small businesses bitch about losing money but they impose regulations like making you use plastic instead of cash. My grandkids loved the small local bakery near me. Their favourite treat is to take a few dollars cash up there each and buy a few sweet treats. Not anymore. Card only. How are young kids meant to cope? I’m damned if I’m handing over my card for them to use….what’s the alternative? We have been screaming about this for years but no one is listening. My son even swipes his phone to pay for things! Gives me the cold horrors.
same at Aldi....I don't take my phone anywhere... I leave it at home.
They tried to get me to sign up for the digital driver's licences...no way!!!

Reactions: Jarred Santos

View attachment 38623

How to Protect Yourself

Key Takeaways

The banks want us to keep using cards cos they get a cut each time we do. The government want us to use cards so that they can track what we do. If cash goes, then we are at the mercy of the Government, they want to control what we do, wake up sheeples before it is too late. Once cash is gone we will be living a communist lifestyle and our every transaction will be monitored. If we are considered to be spending outside of what the Government allows us, then our transactions will be blocked along with our card usage. You WILL be stranded. Just look at the recent outages when the power goes down and hey welcome to the future. Lobby your federal member to stop this nonsense before it is too late. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

In December we lost power for a number of days and only could pay cash . I lived in Europe for 38 yrs and we hardly lost power there . All the lines are under ground , not like here . Sometimes I think we live in a 3rd world country.

And that is why the banks want cashless. More profit for them. Less staff needed. Less branches. No ATMs.

And when power outages occur, what then?
Agreed.

Your words should go on billboards because a majority of Australians are wearing blinders/earmuffs.

The banks want us to keep using cards cos they get a cut each time we do. The government want us to use cards so that they can track what we do. If cash goes, then we are at the mercy of the Government, they want to control what we do, wake up sheeples before it is too late. Once cash is gone we will be living a communist lifestyle and our every transaction will be monitored. If we are considered to be spending outside of what the Government allows us, then our transactions will be blocked along with our card usage. You WILL be stranded. Just look at the recent outages when the power goes down and hey welcome to the future. Lobby your federal member to stop this nonsense before it is too late. YOU HAVE BEEN

I've even seen some shops state that there will be a 50c surcharge for cash out here in the countryside. So, you're going to be dammed if you use and dammed if you don't.
A photo would give more credit to what you've stated. Some small retailers reference debit cards as 'cash' and they still incur a transaction fee. Visa & Mastercard charge the banks for their affiliation that fee like banks all over the world pass on those costs to users. Any place that charges for hard cash would unlikely find many repeat customers. Hard cash is legal tender with limitations on amounts of denomination, 10 of any is the law.

The banks want us to keep using cards cos they get a cut each time we do. The government want us to use cards so that they can track what we do. If cash goes, then we are at the mercy of the Government, they want to control what we do, wake up sheeples before it is too late. Once cash is gone we will be living a communist lifestyle and our every transaction will be monitored. If we are considered to be spending outside of what the Government allows us, then our transactions will be blocked along with our card usage. You WILL be stranded. Just look at the recent outages when the power goes down and hey welcome to the future. Lobby your federal member to stop this nonsense before it is too late. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
This was made in 2018 and people wouldn't listen to me...frightening

View attachment 38623

How to Protect Yourself

Key Takeaways

There are no charges on a debit card so why are they charging them?

There is one reason and one reason only that a cashless society is being pushed down our throats and that is bank profits.
They are already making a fortune off OUR money, for which we are now being offered next to no services.
We get lousy interest rates on any money we have in the bank, more and more banks are closing, ATMs are being removed, if you go into a bank you're lucky if you can get any service.
My grandson took all his change he had been saving to the bank, so he could do his Xmas shopping. First he had to use the money counting
machine, even though he had it all counted and bagged, because tellers don't do that anymore. Then they refused to give him notes, the money had to go into his bank account.
He didn't have one he's only nine.
He had gone into town with neighbours, he lives about 150kms out of town.
He couldn't do his Xmas shopping and had to wait for his parents to open an account for him because he couldn't do it himself.
I wish I had been there I would have demanded they open their bloody machine and give him HIS money back
Banks can only get away with this crap because we allow them too.
We have become such a lazy society, convenience is everything, we want everything immediately. Have to tap cards because we're too lazy to go to the bank and get money, even too lazy to go to the ATM.
People think it's only a small charge, multiply it by the thousands of times you use your card in a year and it isn't so small
Banks already save a fortune on staff wages by having us all use cards, ATMs, etc its only sheer greed that they then charge us for the convenience.
Wake up people, you'll soon be paying hundreds of dollars every year in bank fees. Once cash is gone the banks can charge whatever they think they can get away with, even if you're using a debit card which is your damn money.
Another thought. If it's an expense for businesses to carry cash, have to take it to the bank, security cameras, in some cases security guards etc. then they would be saving money by not needing these things. So in that case why do they need to pass on, what they say is a minimal charge to recuperate what the bank charge them, they would already be ahead of the eight ball.
They are just as greedy as the banks.

Reactions: IAN3005
There is one reason and one reason only that a cashless society is being pushed down our throats and that is bank profits.
They are already making a fortune off OUR money, for which we are now being offered next to no services.
We get lousy interest rates on any money we have in the bank, more and more banks are closing, ATMs are being removed, if you go into a bank you're lucky if you can get any service.
My grandson took all his change he had been saving to the bank, so he could do his Xmas shopping. First he had to use the money counting
machine, even though he had it all counted and bagged, because tellers don't do that anymore. Then they refused to give him notes, the money had to go into his bank account.
He didn't have one he's only nine.
He had gone into town with neighbours, he lives about 150kms out of town.
He couldn't do his Xmas shopping and had to wait for his parents to open an account for him because he couldn't do it himself.
I wish I had been there I would have demanded they open their bloody machine and give him HIS money back
Banks can only get away with this crap because we allow them too.
We have become such a lazy society, convenience is everything, we want everything immediately. Have to tap cards because we're too lazy to go to the bank and get money, even too lazy to go to the ATM.
People think it's only a small charge, multiply it by the thousands of times you use your card in a year and it isn't so small
Banks already save a fortune on staff wages by having us all use cards, ATMs, etc its only sheer greed that they then charge us for the convenience.
Wake up people, you'll soon be paying hundreds of dollars every year in bank fees. Once cash is gone the banks can charge whatever they think they can get away with, even if you're using a debit card which is your damn money.
Well said!

Use cash. And if a shop/cafe wont accept cash then simply walk out with the goods and don't pay. They are the one refusing to take the cash; you have offered to pay using legal tender.

Cards are habit-forming and there lies the problem.

AS for the banking industry; makes Ned Kelly and his gang look honest.

Bendigo Bank won't give you a new cheque-book, because it is owned by the CBA or NAB and they are linked to Macquarie Bank which is no longer wants to provide cheque books for banks; cheque stubs are very good way of keeping transaction records when it comes to dealing with our privatised utility companies, which also rip off the user. We are being screwed through convenience for ourselves and profiteering by the banking industry.
I agree. Cash users out there, resist the "convenience" as long as you can. Insist on businesses accepting your cash. If they won't, walk out.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Use cash. And if a shop/cafe wont accept cash then simply walk out with the goods and don't pay. They are the one refusing to take the cash; you have offered to pay using legal tender.

Cards are habit-forming and there lies the problem.

AS for the banking industry; makes Ned Kelly and his gang look honest.

Bendigo Bank won't give you a new cheque-book, because it is owned by the CBA or NAB and they are linked to Macquarie Bank which is no longer wants to provide cheque books for banks; cheque stubs are very good way of keeping transaction records when it comes to dealing with our privatised utility companies, which also rip off the user. We are being screwed through convenience for ourselves and profiteering by the banking industry.
I'm pretty sure that the business has a right to insist on card/cashless, a few options:

1. Ask if cash is accepted, if no, walk out and find an alternative business that accepts cash; or

2. If the item you are wanting to buy is necessary to you (you really need it) and the salesperson says 'card only ' leave the cash on the counter and take the item you've paid for (I don't think the
Police if called would act on this HARMless action since the item was in fact bought and paid for).

I don't agree with eating/drinking or taking anything and walking out without at the least leaving money that pays for the service consumed/item purchased as that would definitely be theft.

I would walk out if they don't accept cash, but I wouldn't take the goods, you could be charged with theft.
Unfortunately, if they have a sign stating they don't accept cash payment they are within their rights. The legal tender argument doesn't stand up. Check the ACCC web site.
The world has gone crazy with all this ridiculousness.
Agreed.