This photo from the 1991 film Father of the Bride has the internet talking - here's why!

Let's go back in time to 1991. The much-beloved film Father of the Bride had just been released, and the world was obsessed with it.

Diane Keaton, Steve Martin and the rest of the cast all seemed to hit the nail on the head, capturing what 45-year-olds looked like back then – or so we thought…

Jessica Ellis, a filmmaker, recently watched the classic movie again and noticed something strange the second time around. She shared a screenshot from the movie on Twitter which showed Steve (age 50) and Diane (age 49) playing the parents of 22-year-old Annie.

'An unbelievable thing that has changed in 30 years is that in 1995, this was supposed to be what 45-year-olds looked like,' Jessica wrote in the tweet, along with the now-viral screenshot.

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 7.07.06 AM.png
A Twitter user pointed out the costumes. Credit: Twitter/baddestmamajama.

The post has since garnered 6.4 million views and 5.3k retweets as people have reminisced on the (rather dramatic) style changes over the years.

The photo shows Steve with grey, thinning hair and an ill-fitting suit and Diane wearing a cardigan, blouse and a string of pearls - a far cry from the glamourous dresses we're used to seeing in today's Hollywood films.

People almost immediately jumped to the comments section of the tweet to crack jokes about how no 45-year-old is seen dressed like that anymore—especially not in a Hollywood movie.

One person exclaimed, 'Women with whom I grew up dress like that, pearls and little sweaters. It's the country club meets realtor look.'

A different reply read, 'They would not style a 45-year-old like that today!'

A brief clip from the movie can be seen in the video below.

Credit: magicmaeve.

While this photo may have shocked many and as comedic as some of the replies may be, they all point to the same conclusion: Hollywood has changed dramatically over the last three decades.

And there are a few key points that are worth noting that may have contributed to this change.

For starters, skincare and beauty regimes have become much more sophisticated over the last few years, with products such as retinol and sun-protecting lotions becoming almost essential parts of skincare routines.

Then there are the clothes we wear—in the last 30 years, the trends have certainly swung further towards the more casual dress codes, which may explain why (coupled with the skincare regime) actors look younger than their actual age.

Finally, we have to mention cosmetic surgery as well as other treatments, such as Botox.

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 7.07.14 AM.png
Since the 1990s, fashion trends for people of all ages have changed dramatically. Credit: Unsplash/Pawel Czerwinski.

Today's 40-something celebs are held up as role models for ‘how to look good in your 40s’, with many praising their youthful, healthy radiance and toned physiques. It's no wonder people are shocked at how this same age group were shown just three decades ago!

It all goes to show that as society changes, so does our idea of what looks good.
Key Takeaways

• A recent tweet has gone viral as people reacted to a screenshot from the 1995 movie Father of the Bride, which showed Steve Martin and Diane Keaton playing 45-year-olds.
  • People were shocked by how different they looked compared to today's standards, and it has sparked a conversation about age and dress sense over the past few decades.
  • Celebrities in their 40s are now praised for their youthful and glowing appearance and toned bodies, making people realise just how much standards have changed.
Whether or not this little discovery has opened your eyes to the fictional representation of middle-aged people in films, we must admit that it certainly has us feeling nostalgic.

Having said that, if you do choose to rock pearls and cardigans, then you do you! We think you'll look just as good in them now as the characters did back then.

Do you remember the fashion trends of the mid-1990s? Share your memories of how you dressed back then with us in the comments!

And if you're looking for recommendations and tips on how to stay in style and make sure your wardrobe contains timeless pieces for you, this video has some helpful advice.

Credit: Australian Womens Life and Style.

Sponsored
When I look back to old family photos of my relatives, they always looked older than their modern counterparts. It just a measure of how life has changed, as life will always change, as it should. Otherwise we’re stuck in the past.

Remembering how my grandparents looked I always remember how stern and frightening they seemed to me. I am a great grandparent now, and at 72 l still feel very young at heart, even if my body doesn’t agree at times :ROFLMAO:

Well for casual wear I still wear jeans and polo shirts trackies in winter
Weddings in a nice suit, going out nice pants and a shirt just as I did in the 1980s and 1990s

Let's go back in time to 1991. The much-beloved film Father of the Bride had just been released, and the world was obsessed with it.

Diane Keaton, Steve Martin and the rest of the cast all seemed to hit the nail on the head, capturing what 45-year-olds looked like back then – or so we thought…

Jessica Ellis, a filmmaker, recently watched the classic movie again and noticed something strange the second time around. She shared a screenshot from the movie on Twitter which showed Steve (age 50) and Diane (age 49) playing the parents of 22-year-old Annie.

'An unbelievable thing that has changed in 30 years is that in 1995, this was supposed to be what 45-year-olds looked like,' Jessica wrote in the tweet, along with the now-viral screenshot.

View attachment 11247
A Twitter user pointed out the costumes. Credit: Twitter/baddestmamajama.

The post has since garnered 6.4 million views and 5.3k retweets as people have reminisced on the (rather dramatic) style changes over the years.

The photo shows Steve with grey, thinning hair and an ill-fitting suit and Diane wearing a cardigan, blouse and a string of pearls - a far cry from the glamourous dresses we're used to seeing in today's Hollywood films.

People almost immediately jumped to the comments section of the tweet to crack jokes about how no 45-year-old is seen dressed like that anymore—especially not in a Hollywood movie.

One person exclaimed, 'Women with whom I grew up dress like that, pearls and little sweaters. It's the country club meets realtor look.'

A different reply read, 'They would not style a 45-year-old like that today!'

A brief clip from the movie can be seen in the video below.

Credit: magicmaeve.

While this photo may have shocked many and as comedic as some of the replies may be, they all point to the same conclusion: Hollywood has changed dramatically over the last three decades.

And there are a few key points that are worth noting that may have contributed to this change.

For starters, skincare and beauty regimes have become much more sophisticated over the last few years, with products such as retinol and sun-protecting lotions becoming almost essential parts of skincare routines.

Then there are the clothes we wear—in the last 30 years, the trends have certainly swung further towards the more casual dress codes, which may explain why (coupled with the skincare regime) actors look younger than their actual age.

Finally, we have to mention cosmetic surgery as well as other treatments, such as Botox.

View attachment 11248
Since the 1990s, fashion trends for people of all ages have changed dramatically. Credit: Unsplash/Pawel Czerwinski.

Today's 40-something celebs are held up as role models for ‘how to look good in your 40s’, with many praising their youthful, healthy radiance and toned physiques. It's no wonder people are shocked at how this same age group were shown just three decades ago!

It all goes to show that as society changes, so does our idea of what looks good.
Key Takeaways

• A recent tweet has gone viral as people reacted to a screenshot from the 1995 movie Father of the Bride, which showed Steve Martin and Diane Keaton playing 45-year-olds.
  • People were shocked by how different they looked compared to today's standards, and it has sparked a conversation about age and dress sense over the past few decades.
  • Celebrities in their 40s are now praised for their youthful and glowing appearance and toned bodies, making people realise just how much standards have changed.
Whether or not this little discovery has opened your eyes to the fictional representation of middle-aged people in films, we must admit that it certainly has us feeling nostalgic.

Having said that, if you do choose to rock pearls and cardigans, then you do you! We think you'll look just as good in them now as the characters did back then.

Do you remember the fashion trends of the mid-1990s? Share your memories of how you dressed back then with us in the comments!

And if you're looking for recommendations and tips on how to stay in style and make sure your wardrobe contains timeless pieces for you, this video has some helpful advice.

Credit: Australian Womens Life and Style.

This movie was the 2nd bite of the story. The original was aired in the 60s and this is what Mum and Dad were wearing. I agree it should have been updated, but the script was still in the 60s and even the dialogue and basis of the story were very 60s. It would not have been that way when the 2nd film was made. BTW Elizabeth Taylor was the original bride.

How funny , we were only discussing this last night.
I've added the picture we were talking about taken in beginning of 1962.

My grandmother 2nd on the left was holding me she was 40 turning 41 in the April . My mother was far right on the end and had just turned 15 yes she was 14 when she had me

Screenshot_20230109-152901_Gallery.jpg

• Love
Reactions: terri
Life changes, styles changes. Everything in i’s time and era. I look at the older actresses like, Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren, Susan Sarandon and so many others that get to do lots of movies and still being great. They have aged, so what? At least they still look who they are. But the new generations, want to look 20 when they are 40 and 50.
I don’t like the thought of getting older, but I would never want to look different of who I am. 🤔🤔

Life changes, styles changes. Everything in i’s time and era. I look at the older actresses like, Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren, Susan Sarandon and so many others that get to do lots of movies and still being great. They have aged, so what? At least they still look who they are. But the new generations, want to look 20 when they are 40 and 50.
I don’t like the thought of getting older, but I would never want to look different of who I am. 🤔🤔
Love all those actresses you mentioned and gosh they don't make them like that anymore. Those ladies aged gracefully.
Agree alot of people both men and women are going for Botox ( that name in itself sounds toxic ) and other surgeries

Reactions: Groovy