This one small oversight cost a traveller $559! What happened?

Navigating airline policies could sometimes be as challenging as flying the plane itself.

A recent incident involving a Jetstar passenger could be a cautionary tale for travellers, particularly those who may have undergone a name change.

The unfortunate story began with a 28-year-old woman.

After enjoying a long weekend in Hobart, she was ready to return to Melbourne with her husband and friends.

However, her trip took an unexpected turn at the check-in counter.

The self-service terminals were out of order, so she proceeded to the booking counter for assistance.

compressed-jetstar.jpeg
A Jetstar passenger paid over $500 for a domestic flight from Hobart to Melbourne. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Vladimka production

It was there that she encountered a problem that many travellers might overlook—her ticket was booked under her married name.

However, her driver's licence still displayed her maiden name.

Typically, a name change on a domestic Jetstar flight should cost $70.

However, since the woman already used the other half of her return ticket, the staff told her that she needed to buy a new one.

The cost? A whopping $559—nearly twice the price of her original $330 fare.

The woman, overwhelmed by the situation, burst into tears.

Her companions considered extending their stay in Hobart to resolve the issue.

The woman later on paid for a new ticket, which left her and her travel group feeling exploited.

One of the woman's fellow travellers, Ammad Arshad, expressed his dismay at the airline's 'predatory practice'.

The group shared the cost of the new fare, but the incident cast a shadow over their entire trip.

According to Jetstar's policy on their website, name changes are allowed at $70.

However, the conditions for such changes were not clear.

Name changes must also apply to all passenger flights.

Lastly, tickets purchased with Qantas Frequent Flyer Points Plus Pay are not eligible for name changes.

Jetstar has reached out to the passenger to offer a full refund.

A Jetstar spokesperson also acknowledged the federal government requirement to travel under one's legal name with a matching ID but also recognised the need to review this particular case with empathy.

So, what can we learn from this incident to avoid similar situations? Here are some key takeaways for anyone booking flights:
  • Check your ID: Ensure that the name on your ticket matches the name on your government-issued ID.
  • Update your documents: Make sure to update all your identification documents before you travel. This includes your driver's licence, passport, and any other ID you may need to present at the airport.
  • Read the fine print: Familiarise yourself with the airline's policies on name changes and ticketing.
  • Plan ahead: If you need to make a name change, do it as early as possible.
  • Reach out for help: If you find yourself in a bind, feel free to contact the airline's customer service.
  • Travel insurance: Consider purchasing travel insurance that could name change issues or ticket cancellations.
Key Takeaways

• A Jetstar passenger was devastated after being told she could not fly using her existing ticket booked under her married name.
  • The technicality cost her an additional $559 for a new ticket despite the original return fare being $330.
  • Jetstar's name change policies indicated that it should start at $70.
  • Jetstar offered to refund the passenger after the commotion and cited the federal government requirement to travel under one's legal name.
Have you ever faced a similar issue during your travels? How did you resolve it? Share your stories in the comments below.

• Angry
Reactions: Liag
Sponsored
Just because the travel involves a plane (which domestically is actually a bus with wings) for domestic travel should be like a train no different. one should not even have to give a name or an address or id to travel locally (NO DIFFERENT THAN A TRAIN)...ok in case of a crash these details may be of importance but thats it penalty for incorrect details should not apply name or address would suffice. these days a plane is just a bus with wings for local travel

Reactions: maggiej
That was just price gouging at it's worst. They are an absolute disgrace both Jetstar and Qantas and the offer of a refundafter the damage is done way too little too late. They truly haven't got a clue what customer service and common sense is all about.

That is something new to me. I have never had to show anything other than my ticket. No other form of identification.. Goodness me what next. I have travelled in many countries and never been asked for another form of identification

I have used at least 2 plane flights that my son had to cancel for some reason -just changed the date in approved time [I think I paid a small amount for date change on 1 ] but no problem
jetstar uses any excuse to grab more cash
bring on the compo for flight cancelations and such and lets see jetsar change there ways