This mum's clever kitchen trick makes old strawberries taste like new again!

It’s hard not to love juicy, sweet strawberries, but when left in the fridge too long, they can quickly turn from ripe to rotten.

But don’t fret because a clever solution can bring your sweet strawberries back from the brink of spoiling!

A mum named Haley Scheich recently posted a simple method to revive ageing strawberries in just one hour on social media!

photo (19).jpg
Haley Scheich gives a simple trick that could save old strawberries. Image source: Instagram/mysuperherofoods.

'We can all probably relate,' she said. 'We come home with a beautiful carton of strawberries only to forget about them in the back of a full fridge.'

'I hate to waste food, especially foods like berries which can be pricey,' she said.

'But wait! If your strawberries are looking kind of sad, use this simple trick to freshen up your strawberries and make them last a little longer.'

So what is this magic trick? All you need to do is pop your strawberries into a bowl filled with ice water and give them a soak for one hour–then your strawberries will be as good as new!

‘Give them an ice bath for one hour, and they’ll be as good as new,’ Haley said.

‘And taste delicious too. Give it a try!’ she added.

According to Haley, this technique can’t be used for strawberries that already show signs of mould–so it’s best to throw them out if they’re too far gone.

photo 1 (1).jpg
The trick is to put strawberries in a bowl of ice water for one hour. Image source: Instagram/mysuperherofoods.

Her clever trick has become a viral sensation, with the video being viewed over 2.7 million times. It received a flurry of responses from parents eager to try it out!

One mum commented: ‘You’re a lifesaver! I was just about to toss my strawberries when I found this. Thank you!’

‘No way?! I’ve learned something new!’ shared another.

While a third said: ‘I am totally doing this. Thank you for this tip!’

You can watch Haley’s trick in the video below:

How to Store Fruits Properly to Prolong Their Life

The key to enjoying your favourite fruits for longer starts with proper storage. Here are some quick and easy storage tips that can save you from early spoilage:

When it comes to berries, they thrive best at room temperature. If you don't plan on consuming them within a few days, then it's best to keep them chilled in the fridge. But remember, don't wash them until you're about to enjoy their juicy burst! Moisture can act as a catalyst for mould and spoilage. Store them in a breathable container inside the crisper drawer if you have one.

Moving on to tropical fruits like bananas, pineapples or mangoes, these beauties are best stored at room temperature. Refrigeration can squash their flavour and texture, so they're better off outside the fridge.

For bananas specifically, be sure to keep them away from other fruits. Why? Because bananas release a special gas called ethylene that can cause other fruits to ripen more quickly and spoil faster.

Let’s not forget about our crisp apples and pears, although they are quite sturdy and can handle being out of the fridge for a bit. But if you want to slow down their ripening process and keep them at their prime longer, they belong inside the refrigerator. Remember to keep them away from other fruits and veggies, as they also release ethylene gas.

One last tip–when you buy fruit, purchase them at varying stages of ripeness. It means you'll always have something ready to eat without a rush to consume everything at once.

Don’t forget to share these tips and tricks with your friends and family–so they can enjoy delicious, fresh strawberries for longer too!

Key Takeaways
  • A mum has shared a clever trick to revive strawberries that are nearly spoiling.
  • The method involves soaking the strawberries in ice water for one hour.
  • Viewers were amazed at this trick and are keen to try it out.
  • The mum warned against trying to save mouldy strawberries and suggested throwing them out.
Let us know in the comments below how you keep your strawberries and other fruits in the fridge fresh for longer!

• Love
Reactions: Tipsy and Ricki
Sponsored
It’s hard not to love juicy, sweet strawberries, but when left in the fridge too long, they can quickly turn from ripe to rotten.

But don’t fret because a clever solution can bring your sweet strawberries back from the brink of spoiling!

A mum named Haley Scheich recently posted a simple method to revive ageing strawberries in just one hour on social media!

View attachment 28158
Haley Scheich gives a simple trick that could save old strawberries. Image source: Instagram/mysuperherofoods.

'We can all probably relate,' she said. 'We come home with a beautiful carton of strawberries only to forget about them in the back of a full fridge.'

'I hate to waste food, especially foods like berries which can be pricey,' she said.

'But wait! If your strawberries are looking kind of sad, use this simple trick to freshen up your strawberries and make them last a little longer.'

So what is this magic trick? All you need to do is pop your strawberries into a bowl filled with ice water and give them a soak for one hour–then your strawberries will be as good as new!

‘Give them an ice bath for one hour, and they’ll be as good as new,’ Haley said.

According to Haley, this technique can’t be used for strawberries that already show signs of mould–so it’s best to throw them out if they’re too far gone.

View attachment 28157
The trick is to put strawberries in a bowl of ice water for one hour. Image source: Instagram/mysuperherofoods.

Her clever trick has become a viral sensation, with the video being viewed over 2.7 million times. It received a flurry of responses from parents eager to try it out!

One mum commented: ‘You’re a lifesaver! I was just about to toss my strawberries when I found this. Thank you!’

The key to enjoying your favourite fruits for longer starts with proper storage. Here are some quick and easy storage tips that can save you from early spoilage:

When it comes to berries, they thrive best at room temperature. If you don't plan on consuming them within a few days, then it's best to keep them chilled in the fridge. But remember, don't wash them until you're about to enjoy their juicy burst! Moisture can act as a catalyst for mould and spoilage. Store them in a breathable container inside the crisper drawer if you have one.

Moving on to tropical fruits like bananas, pineapples or mangoes, these beauties are best stored at room temperature. Refrigeration can squash their flavour and texture, so they're better off outside the fridge.

For bananas specifically, be sure to keep them away from other fruits. Why? Because bananas release a special gas called ethylene that can cause other fruits to ripen more quickly and spoil faster.

Let’s not forget about our crisp apples and pears, although they are quite sturdy and can handle being out of the fridge for a bit. But if you want to slow down their ripening process and keep them at their prime longer, they belong inside the refrigerator. Remember to keep them away from other fruits and veggies, as they also release ethylene gas.

One last tip–when you buy fruit, purchase them at varying stages of ripeness. It means you'll always have something ready to eat without a rush to consume everything at once.

Don’t forget to share these tips and tricks with your friends and family–so they can enjoy delicious, fresh strawberries for longer too!

Key Takeaways

• A mum has shared a clever trick to revive strawberries that are nearly spoiling.
  • The mum warned against trying to save mouldy strawberries and suggested throwing them out.
Let us know in the comments below how you keep your strawberries and other fruits in the fridge fresh for longer!

I used to keep carrots and celery and other root vegies in a bowl of water in the fridge and they last for weeks and weeks

I extended the life of most of my fruit and vegies by drying them, wrapping in paper towels before popping them back in the fridge. Change to new towels every couple of days. Works on lettuce, tomatoes, celery, strawberries, carrots, grapes and possibly otheries. If lettuce comes out of bag/bowl wet, air in sun before wrapping again.

Reactions: Ricki and Jill57
I wrap all my vegies in foil as soon as I get home from shopping and each time I use them,,they last for weeks depending on the vegie,,I have had leeks,pumpkin lasting almost 4 wks

I have to smile.
Strawberries don't sit in my fridge long enough to lose any of their blush.
We like our berries.

I extended the life of most of my fruit and vegies by drying them, wrapping in paper towels before popping them back in the fridge. Change to new towels every couple of days. Works on lettuce, tomatoes, celery, strawberries, carrots, grapes and possibly otheries. If lettuce comes out of bag/bowl wet, air in sun before wrapping again.
I've learnt to do this as well and it works a treat.

View attachment 28158

View attachment 28157

Key Takeaways

Nice trick but it’s pot luck finding strawberries that are sweet and juicy so I’d probably toss them anyway

I grow my own strawberries but don't eat them, yuck. I make and give away bottles of strawberry jam to family and friends.

• Wow
Reactions: Littleboy8
Why don’t you eat them I’m allergic myself 🙀
Grew up on a Strawberry farm. 16yrs of eating, picking and packing them for the markets left a bad taste in my mouth. Just don't like the taste anymore, haven't done for a long time. When my dad passed in 2000 we were asked if we wanted any of his plants that he had hybrid. I had young kids then who loved strawberries so of course I took like 50 plants and have been growing them ever since.